5AF Parenting Thread

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:30 am

He got a 98 in Algebra 2 this past school year (which ended last week). He got a similar grade in Geometry last year. He struggled with Algebra and early middle school math, but somehow turned it around by eighth and ninth grade. He works at an ice cream shop and can make change without the register, which is a new development and something that used to give me fits when I worked farmer's markets (without a register lol) way back when. :lol:

I was surprised environmental engineering had the same heavy math coursework that mechanical and electrical engineering did, but once I looked into what he'd be doing, it made more sense.

We still have another year to work on him with this, but it might be a good way to get into his first college choice (Clemson) where it is extremely competitive for some majors, particularly the creative ones I've mentioned above.
Why environmental engineering? Is he a nature buff? There are many other environmental sciences out there that would be less math heavy (still require a decent amount of math, though) but still get you into the environmental field. My SIL is doing that right now at Penn State and she's loving it. She gets to participate in a lot of research into different tree species that are usually found in the south, and seeing whether they would survive in more northern climates because of rapid climate change.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:35 am

He did career counseling last year or earlier this year, and engineering had a high salary. That's his attraction.

That being said, he does like biology and did well in chemistry. My current employer, to which he would get in easily and with a tuition reduction because I am an employee, as an exceptional marine biology program. But no interest in that so far.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:21 am

My wife and I have pretty much got our routine with our 5 year old down to a science. We have our weekday routine and our weekend routine. Weekday is pretty much designed for ease and just getting through with work, food, play with kid, regular daily chores, etc. Weekends are for bigger chores, getting everything ready for the week, and relaxing/going to events when possible.

We do this mostly because we're by ourselves. I have an aunt who lives close, and she's awesome. When she has time, she comes and helps, but she has kids and a career of her own and is a single mom. Meanwhile, my parents: both retired and live an hour and a half away. My wife's parents: both retired and live 4 hours away. They have all the time in the world.

This is just venting...

We have to disrupt our entire normal schedule to account for any visitation that they have in mind. My parents rarely visit because they try to make it a day trip. That's 3 hours of travel, and then maybe 3 hours here. They want to hang out with us and our kid. They don't come up and just take care of the kid or god forbid help with anything else beyond that.

I'm heading out of town soon for a week and a half for work. My wife mentioned this to her mother and her mother said she'd make a trip out to help out with things around the house. Great! Awesome!!! My wife suggested she come out the weekend that I'm away. That's really when she needs the extra hands. Nope. That won't fit her schedule. She wants to come out during the week.... my wife tried her best to explain that would be more hassle than help. Kid is in daycare through the day. Wife is working through the day. She'd just be home with no one there through the day unless my wife takes off work and we pull the kid out of daycare. Yeah, I guess she could clean or cook, but does she really want to come out for a day or two and just do that? Doubtful.

Just sucks doing this all on our own. Like I said, just venting more than anything else as I don't really have anyone else to vent this to.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:46 am

Definitely feel for you, c2i. We are very lucky to have my wife's parents within a 10 minute drive and my mom comes up almost every weekend which for her is a 45 minute to an hour drive. We are very spoiled in that manner. I always wonder about friends of ours that don't have these luxuries. And times when my wife's parents are away or my mom cannot come up on a weekend when we actually need her, I try not to get too frustrated because they've come through for the past 9 years and 3 kids. The in-laws have come once a week to watch any kid not in school since our oldest was born. 9 years of free daycare for a day.

It has made us a bit too reliable on them and actually pretty bad with going on dates. Mainly because we haven't set up a steady babysitter let alone a good backup.

Don't have anything to suggest as it's not an easy situation, just saying that I feel for you. Especially at 5 years old, you know you're at least several years away from feeling confident leaving her home by herself for any amount of time. You also have to figure the grandparents want to be a bit selfish too, and not have to "work" in the few times they get to see their grandchild. Sometimes we do rely on my mom a little too much to keep an extra eye on our kids as we do all our extra stuff on the weekend, and she'll say that she misses hanging out with us at times.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:08 pm

Dear people in charge of fundraising for events/teams

A $750 prize is not an adequate prize for a $20 ticket with 3 numbers (333 tickets sold). Especially when it's $750 of various types of cheap booze and a yeti cooler.

Your prize needs to be at least half of the total take.

Sincerely, parents who are stuck pawning these worthless tickets.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:16 pm

C2i

Try to be very specific with them. Can you come here on these exact dates to help with this exact task so that I am free to do this exact thing. Take away the ambiguity and make it a yes or no question. A counter offer is a no.

It might feel transactional but that's what you need. It won't feel transactional when they're there

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:20 pm

What sucks is when you have to entertain them for a visit, they're actually setting you back even further.

Idk if you guys have a reliable babysitter but maybe think about asking someone at the daycare? They often are looking for supplemental income and even a night or a few hours on a Saturday morning can make a huge difference.

We're keeping our nanny throughout the summer for 3 days a week and we may sprinkle in the odd Saturday so we can get **** done and feel less drowned

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:31 am

Dear people in charge of fundraising for events/teams

A $750 prize is not an adequate prize for a $20 ticket with 3 numbers (333 tickets sold). Especially when it's $750 of various types of cheap booze and a yeti cooler.

Your prize needs to be at least half of the total take.

Sincerely, parents who are stuck pawning these worthless tickets.
Heh, we had a fundraiser for a travel baseball team that was a raffle ticket for a chance to win a Yeti cooler and a Remington 870. Typical rural SC things. :lol:

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:37 pm

I would buy a $10/100 chance on the remington.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:20 pm

My daughter's soccer team won their spring league today with a 3-1 win. They would have won the tie breaker with the 2nd and 3rd place teams (who were tied in points) had they tied, but they gutted out the sun and heat on turf and got the job done. My daughter kicked a rolling ball from midfield, and it bounced over the goalie's head and almost into the net, just a little wide. I'd have gone nuts had it gone in.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:54 am

School's out, so my daughter decided to tag along with me on my trip to the grocery store this morning. It turned out to be the most expensive trip I've had in a while.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:47 am

:lol: We actually got our teenagers to go into Costco with us last night - and we had the same result you did. Lots o' crap came home with us, like a 3lb. bag of chili lime almonds.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:50 am

Does your Costco sell the hot dog buns that they use in the cafe? Ours doesn't, which I was really disappointed to hear.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:55 am

I'm not sure. My attempts to get hot dogs for dinner was denied by my wife BTW. :lol:

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:57 am

I'm not sure. My attempts to get hot dogs for dinner was denied by my wife BTW. :lol:
Divorce her and cite this as the reason.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:53 pm

Just coached first T-Ball game of the season...

I don't know if I've ever been more exhausted.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:06 pm

School's out, so my daughter decided to tag along with me on my trip to the grocery store this morning. It turned out to be the most expensive trip I've had in a while.
I refuse to take my son to any store, ever. A $5 gallon of milk always turns into $30

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:07 pm

How many times did you say "don't play in the dirt"?

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:13 am

How many times did you say "don't play in the dirt"?
Actually none. How many times did I say don't pile on each other for the ball? I bet every play so about 36 times.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:26 am

Same team!

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:29 am

Does your Costco sell the hot dog buns that they use in the cafe? Ours doesn't, which I was really disappointed to hear.
A year or two ago Sam's Club changed their hot dogs from 1/4 lb Nathan's to their own brand. It's just not the same.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:58 am

A year or two ago Sam's Club changed their hot dogs from 1/4 lb Nathan's to their own brand. It's just not the same.
Nathan's were my favorite before I discovered Costco hot dogs. In fact, that's what we're having for dinner tonight.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:17 am

Yesterday at our end of season soccer party, the coach let us know that their team is basically in the top 38% of clubs at their age level in the entire country, and around 44% in the region. Because of that, they’re moving up a division for fall soccer. Good and bad, because the talent is going to be better, so they’ll have to put in more effort. We’ll be playing a few Philly teams this year, which I’ve been told are, uh, rough around the edges. Looking forward to the away game against Fishtown.

obhave

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby obhave » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:18 am

Had my first night away from the baby for a wedding. And of course he has his best night sleep ever with the grandparents.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:59 am

Had my first night away from the baby for a wedding. And of course he has his best night sleep ever with the grandparents.
:thumb:

This is a good thing!