haha

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:29 am

Baby mac: wheezing and a double ear infection
Lil mac: coughing and strep throat
Mac: peeing out his butt
Mrs mac: blissfully at work

Being the parent with the more flexible working arrangement sucks sometimes.
My travel was totally cut from June-December and reinstated with the new year, so I've done all the running for 6 months now. Supposed to head to Houston week of the 23rd and Memphis week of Feb 6.

Mrs Franchise: :shock: wtf am I gonna do, I have to work?

Dunno hon, what did you do before?

The running mostly involves getting baby franchise home from musical practice after school. She should be able to drive herself in a year or so.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:34 am

This goes without saying but... perhaps no more sports?
I think that's what we'll do moving forward. Again, the orthopedist said he had no restrictions on activities as long as we knew the risks. He indicated that permanent damage wasn't a factor with this condition.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:02 am

Proud dad moment. Lil mac got a certificate for counting to 100 today.
Yea that's great, but how's his shower drain poop stomping?
I can't get him to even take a shower. Dude won't give up the baths. It's kind of annoying lol
Isn't he like 4?

My 5 year old just started showering and I thought that was kind of young

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:02 am

Baby mac: wheezing and a double ear infection
Lil mac: coughing and strep throat
Mac: peeing out his butt
Mrs mac: blissfully at work

Being the parent with the more flexible working arrangement sucks sometimes.
My travel was totally cut from June-December and reinstated with the new year, so I've done all the running for 6 months now. Supposed to head to Houston week of the 23rd and Memphis week of Feb 6.

Mrs Franchise: :shock: wtf am I gonna do, I have to work?

Dunno hon, what did you do before?

The running mostly involves getting baby franchise home from musical practice after school. She should be able to drive herself in a year or so.
Yeah. It's tough. I don't complain much because I know it's not her fault so to say, but it's just tiring. She gets it I guess. But we never had a "before this" life because we only had one kid in daycare for about a year or so before covid. Since then I've always worked from home.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:02 am

I can't get him to even take a shower. Dude won't give up the baths. It's kind of annoying lol
Isn't he like 4?

Yeah 4.5. My buddy's kids all showered around 4. Maybe it is too young? Lol I don't know I didn't read the manual

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:05 am

I think that's what we'll do moving forward. Again, the orthopedist said he had no restrictions on activities as long as we knew the risks. He indicated that permanent damage wasn't a factor with this condition.
What does he think about it? If there's no concern for permanent damage and you're willing to deal with the inconvenience, I say let him go for it. Taking sports away from a teenaged athlete seems crushing...

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:08 am

Isn't he like 4?

Yeah 4.5. My buddy's kids all showered around 4. Maybe it is too young? Lol I don't know I didn't read the manual
I mean... I'm trying to talk my 2 year old into showering lol. Even assisted showers are 100x better on your boy's old man back.

You just made it seem like you thought he was behind for not showering...

Anyway, just trick him into it once and he'll get over the irrational fear.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:33 am

Every time I tell him he should shower he tells me he will next Christmas lol

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:36 am

Every time I tell him he should shower he tells me he will next Christmas lol
Sounds like my kid to poop on the potty.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:47 am

What does he think about it? If there's no concern for permanent damage and you're willing to deal with the inconvenience, I say let him go for it. Taking sports away from a teenaged athlete seems crushing...
He seems good with it. Basketball wasn't even in the picture in our old town because of the size of the middle school. The uh demographics made it difficult for him to play on younger rec teams (where you pay to play). So he hadn't played organized basketball in 3-4 years. He was playing at recess and his teacher (and basketball coach) told him to try out. I know he's a competitive athlete, but was preparing for him not to make the team. But he did, and although he wasn't a starter, played significant minutes.

It also helped him meet new kids, which is important at a new school.

So it really sucks having to keep him away from this stuff. He wants to play football and give baseball another go.
But we'll see what this next batch of doctors has to say...

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:03 am

I coached my son's first basketball game yesterday. He's 9 and never tried basketball before, but man he thought he was LeBron out there. Just hacking up shots left and right. He actually made one while being fouled. They don't do foul shots at his level, but he was proud of that one.

It's fun coaching at this age group. The kids actually listen and have a little bit of respect for the coaches. They mostly just want to have fun and are hesitant to really learn, but this isn't AAU. Only downside is I'm already seeing parents trying to tell the kids to do things we didn't teach them, which will just confuse them. Death, taxes, and sports parents I guess.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:06 am

I coached my son's first basketball game yesterday. He's 9 and never tried basketball before, but man he thought he was LeBron out there. Just hacking up shots left and right. He actually made one while being fouled. They don't do foul shots at his level, but he was proud of that one.

It's fun coaching at this age group. The kids actually listen and have a little bit of respect for the coaches. They mostly just want to have fun and are hesitant to really learn, but this isn't AAU. Only downside is I'm already seeing parents trying to tell the kids to do things we didn't teach them, which will just confuse them. Death, taxes, and sports parents I guess.
Good on you. My 9 yr old and basketball was a disaster as the coaches thought the next step after this was the NBA and didn't play any of the kids who didn't buy into that mentality. That was a lot of traveling, but I read a lot of comic books while my son sat on the bench so it worked itself out.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:08 am

Oh yeah. It just gets worse. Sitting in the stands last night, I heard lots of coaching and complaints about our coaching (two teachers, getting a stipend). In fact, the loudest critic was the father of the team manager (who tried out but didn't make the team). At this point, I just laugh, as I know I won't be involved with youth sports much longer (which is kind of sad in a way).

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:08 am

Good on you. My 9 yr old and basketball was a disaster as the coaches thought the next step after this was the NBA and didn't play any of the kids who didn't buy into that mentality. That was a lot of traveling, but I read a lot of comic books while my son sat on the bench so it worked itself out.
Was it a tryout/travel team? I can see that happening at that level. My son is on the "everybody makes the team and plays even minutes" level. It's not his best sport, but he enjoys it. That's all that matters at this age IMO.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:03 pm

My daughter and I were still doing bath together right around the time she went into kindergarten. I think we finally started phasing that out throughout that year--that was tough for Dad Shad, we pretty much did bath time together every night from when she was an infant to when she went to school.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:43 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but bath time is one of the most annoying parts of parenting for me. I'd much rather bond over, like, literally anything else.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:48 pm

My kid loves bath time. She'll stay in there and play until the water is cold and she's pruney. I play along sometimes, but most of the time I'm just chillin on my phone until she's done. I think her cleaning herself will be the next big time saver.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:53 pm

I'm with KC. I did not enjoy bath time. Mainly because bathrooms aren't made for multiple parents sitting on the floor.

DG, is there any kind of orthotics or foot protection that could help? My son, he's only 9, would be crushed.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:55 pm

Bedtime in general is like rounding up wild cattle. My wife will typically take our daughter and I'll take the two boys. None of them are cooperative

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:29 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but bath time is one of the most annoying parts of parenting for me. I'd much rather bond over, like, literally anything else.
Same bro same. I always end up soaked with water. The bathroom gets soaked. The toys are mildew-ey. I cannot wait til I say lil Mac go shower and he handles it lol

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:47 pm

Same bro same. I always end up soaked with water. The bathroom gets soaked. The toys are mildew-ey. I cannot wait til I say lil Mac go shower and he handles it lol
Doesn't work in my household. I tell Robbie1 and Robbie2 to shower, and they fight running up the stairs, then into their bedroom to undress. I get the water started for them, then walk into their bedroom to find them examining each other's buttholes or laughing at some stupid poop joke or playing basketball with their underwear or something. Never fails

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:03 pm

:lol: that time is coming to casa de mac soon I'm sure. Luckily we have a ranch so I'll get to hear them doing it from the kitchen

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:04 pm

All 3 of my kids slept well since day 1. We kept a schedule and it worked, hell they would put themselves to bed when they were young because they were tired

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:10 pm

Kids sleep well, it's just getting them up there that's the chore. My 9 year old complains that his bedtime is still 8PM. Pretty sure they took a survey in class and he was very disappointed :D