5AF Parenting Thread

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Our daughter had torticollis and plagiocephaly, resulting in both physical therapy and a helmet (which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be). You'll definitely want to find ways for him to get tummy time, because you could wind up going the PT route.
So that's on the table right now, if he doesn't improve in a month it's PT - and I have no idea what is associated with that.
PT really wasn't too bad. We received it for free through our county's intermediate group, so that's something you'll want to look into to see if you have that option. In fact, our therapist actually went to our daughter's daycare to perform the PT, so we didn't even have to do anything at all. We supplemented that with PT at another clinic, as well. They basically work on stretching the muscles in your child's neck (looks much worse than it actually is), as well as getting them to play/reach for things while on their tummy. I can't recall how long we went, but both issues were completely resolved for our daughter.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Good to know, thanks for the insight!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:27 pm

My aunt has been an absolute life saver... we live about an hour and a half away from my parents, and 4 hours away from my in laws, so we don't have that network of family support here to help out with stuff. I'm sure others here have the same issue. My aunt (my favorite aunt growing up, btw) lives nearby though, and she's like a 3rd grandmother to my kid. In fact, she probably spends more time with her than her actual grandmothers. With all my traveling for work, there are nights where my wife doesn't get done with work in time to pick up the little one from daycare, so she's been going and picking her up and babysitting her. In chatting I had mentioned about trying to find a babysitter for Saturday and she said "A babysitter?!?! I'm insulted! Why don't I just watch her so you guys can go on a date?"

Free babysitting is the best.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:01 pm

My MIL watches lil mac on Fridays and got her off days switched to Fri-Sat (from Thurs-Fri) so that they can have sleepovers. It's pretty awesome.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:35 pm

My parents have watched my niece and nephew so often that I feel bad about asking them to babysit more than 2-3 times/year.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:37 pm

Yeah I guess it's at the stage now where she likes to do it... I'm sure when he's more mobile he will be too much to handle haha.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:56 pm

So the wife and I went to the pens game Friday. Arranged people to come let our dogs out Fri night and sat morning as we stayed overnight. My golden has ridiculous anxiety though and has been following us around within a 2 foot radius all weekend since we got home on Saturday afternoon.

Including about 10 min ago when he was behind my wife as she stepped backwards with kid in hand and fell on the tile floor with nothing but a (now broken) kitchen chair to stop her fall. Watched it all happen in slow motion. Luckily lil man seems fine and mom has a sore knee and elbow but otherwise fine.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:19 pm

My six year old just asked Alexa to play Whitesnake.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 am

Son got Pink eye the Friday before last week, all healed up, gets pink eye on Monday this week. Cool.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:58 pm

How big of a deal would you make out of daycare missing one of your 7 month Olds 3 bottles he is to consume while there for 9 hours?

Kid eats at 9, 12, & 3every day. They even comment how regimented we have him. Today wife went to pick him up and they said they "forgot" his 12 o'clock bottle and he "chugged down" his 3 o'clock, once they realized.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:59 pm

If it’s a one-off, I could let it slide if it was an honest mistake. Better not happen again, though.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:03 pm

That's basically what I told my wife. She didn't see the owner/manager today. And the second in command who watches the infant's doesn't work Thursday so it's a carousel of people that do.
I basically said if the owner doesn't address it with her next time she sees her, my wife should just let her know it happened. Because if the owner doesn't tell my wife sorry then she doesn't know it happened. (not that we want the apology we want her being aware of it).

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:28 am

Does your daycare not write the feeds down? Our daycare gives us a paper of every diaper change, feed, or issue they have.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:29 am

Does your daycare not write the feeds down? Our daycare gives us a paper of every diaper change, feed, or issue they have.
They do. Which is why it makes it even more frustrating. They should keep track of it all.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:01 pm

That is a pretty egregious error to make if you are an early childhood care provider. Damn. Yeah definitely keep a closer eye on things.

Our day care switched to the Tadpoles app around the time our daughter turned 1, and it is awesome.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Yea our daycare is gauging a live app now, and I think it's pretty much a necessity in this day and age. Hate having to write instructions every day.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm

I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts on something. Our elementary school’s PTO posts photos and videos of the kids on Facebook. I don’t recall ever signing any consent form, and can’t find an official school district policy on the topic. While I do post family stuff on FB, my content is limited to just my friends. Same goes for my wife.

Part of me doesn’t really want the PTO posting content with my daughter in it. Am I overreacting?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:48 pm

I'd look at any forms you signed at the beginning of the year.

I know our local school sends out a consent form as part of the first day houndouts.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:51 pm

I don't think you're overreacting. I don't want photos of my kid online unless I explicitly share the pictures. It's hard enough getting the external family to respect the wishes.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:26 pm

I checked the student handbook, and it explicitly states that no photos or videos will be shared without a signed consent letter sent home before each media event posting. My wife thinks I should leave it alone. I don't want to ruin it for everyone else, but I'm going to think on it over the weekend.

tjand72

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby tjand72 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 pm

You're not overreacting. You get to decide if/when your daughter's image is put online. It's not the PTO's choice to make. I wouldn't necessarily demand that all of the children's images be taken down (although it sounds like the school's policy is clear), but I would definitely ask the PTO to take down the photos of your daughter if it makes you uncomfortable.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:28 pm

That is a pretty egregious error to make if you are an early childhood care provider. Damn. Yeah definitely keep a closer eye on things.

Our day care switched to the Tadpoles app around the time our daughter turned 1, and it is awesome.
That sounds like an awesome idea. I doubt our daycare is looking to implement it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Had a hell of a night... Kiddo got sent home from daycare with a fever (102.6 F) Thursday morning, had a 104ish fever Thursday night and the nurse line said to alternate tylenol and motrin every 3 hours. She was alright Friday, but into the evening she wasn't eating, didn't want anything to drink, just was all around miserable and even with the medication she had a 104 fever. Nurse's line said to head to the ER, so we went at 7. Ended up finishing up there about midnight with a pneumonia diagnosis and an antibiotic prescription.

Got home, put her down to sleep in her crib and a half hour later she coughed so hard she threw up everywhere. So we got her cleaned up and back into her crib and she slept about an hour before my wife called me into her room. Her lips and hands were blue and she was shaking. We called 911, the EMT got to the house and checked her out. Her oxygen levels were low, so they put her in the ambulance and drove her to the hospital again. They drew blood, pushed fluid through an IV, gave her more motrin and her fever finally broke about 6AM. She was a sweaty mess.

The pediatrician came and explained that he's pretty sure it's viral, but to continue the antibiotic just in case. He said the shaking was probably from her fever spiking so high that she got the chills real bad. We were worried about seizures, but after explaining how the shaking looked, he ruled that out. And the blue lips and hands were from throwing up and some nerve that runs near the throat that causes the heart to slow down when things like that happen.

Probably the most terrifying experience of my life over what's probably just a viral infection and a fever. I feel a little bad because at first I was a little annoyed with going to the ER because I thought my wife was overreacting, but I'm glad we went and at least know what we're dealing with. She and my wife are soundly sleeping/napping.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Really happy to hear things have settled down man. That fear is terrible when it involves your little ones.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:36 pm

That's awful. :shock: Glad to hear things are better. :thumb: