5AF Parenting Thread

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 am

Absolutely. We lived in North Charleston before we moved to our current location in the hinterlands of SC. We lived right off I-526, the beltway around Charleston which is largely an elevated four lane highway. When our son wouldn't sleep, I would pack him up in the car and drive and it would put him to sleep in about 10 minutes. The expansion joints were perfectly spaced and very soothing - and no stoplights, so it was a consistent sound.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:25 am

That didn't work for us because we couldn't get our first out of the car without waking him up.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 am

Yeah, that would be an issue from time to time. It was like Mission:Impossible to get him out of the car seat, re-swaddled, and back into his crib. But usually he was so worn out, he wouldn't wake up.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Source of the post Honestly the most annoying thing about it is I wanted to get a diet dew at sheetz but didn't feel like dragging my sleeping kid in with me
Driving my daughter around in the car was one of the best ways to actually get her to fall asleep. More than once I put her in the car at 2am and drove to the mall parking lot to do circles.
I honestly hope I never have to do this. I've heard a few people talking about driving around the block.
Do you have a mamaroo? It puts my kid right out.

I know we're lucky, but I also think that my wife got it right when she took my mom's advice to 'always put your baby to bed awake' so that they learn to put themselves to sleep. Our boy goes right to sleep as soon as he hits his crib, usually whatever time we put him down. <knocks on wood>

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Source of the post Honestly the most annoying thing about it is I wanted to get a diet dew at sheetz but didn't feel like dragging my sleeping kid in with me
Driving my daughter around in the car was one of the best ways to actually get her to fall asleep. More than once I put her in the car at 2am and drove to the mall parking lot to do circles.
I literally meant 'once I got to sheetz' lol.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:13 pm

I honestly hope I never have to do this. I've heard a few people talking about driving around the block.
Do you have a mamaroo? It puts my kid right out.

I know we're lucky, but I also think that my wife got it right when she took my mom's advice to 'always put your baby to bed awake' so that they learn to put themselves to sleep. Our boy goes right to sleep as soon as he hits his crib, usually whatever time we put him down. <knocks on wood>
Yea we have one of those, the kid handles it ok. We find he falls asleep on his own in the napper, then I just pick him up and put him in the bassinet. Works pretty well, he gets fussy before he falls asleep, but he eventually tires out and falls asleep.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Had my first solo experience this weekend as a dad, went well. Honestly the most annoying thing about it is I wanted to get a diet dew at sheetz but didn't feel like dragging my sleeping kid in with me
My wife taught evening classes this semester, so every Tuesday and Thursday I was on my own for the evening... certainly makes me appreciate having her around to help out because those evenings were tough. It's only like 2.5 hours or so on my own, but get home, take the dogs out, change the baby's diaper, feed the baby, get the baby down for her nap, feed the dogs, do the dishes/baby's bottles, sit for 5 minutes to catch my breath, baby is up, go get baby, play with her a bit, feed her some solids, play a bit more, change her into pajamas and get her ready for bed.... I would typically eat a large lunch and a snack about 4:00 on those days because I knew I wasn't having dinner. Luckily next semester there are not evening classes.

I have no idea how she handled maternity leave on her own throughout the day. I'd have lost it, so all props to her.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Had my first solo experience this weekend as a dad, went well. Honestly the most annoying thing about it is I wanted to get a diet dew at sheetz but didn't feel like dragging my sleeping kid in with me
My wife taught evening classes this semester, so every Tuesday and Thursday I was on my own for the evening... certainly makes me appreciate having her around to help out because those evenings were tough. It's only like 2.5 hours or so on my own, but get home, take the dogs out, change the baby's diaper, feed the baby, get the baby down for her nap, feed the dogs, do the dishes/baby's bottles, sit for 5 minutes to catch my breath, baby is up, go get baby, play with her a bit, feed her some solids, play a bit more, change her into pajamas and get her ready for bed.... I would typically eat a large lunch and a snack about 4:00 on those days because I knew I wasn't having dinner. Luckily next semester there are not evening classes.

I have no idea how she handled maternity leave on her own throughout the day. I'd have lost it, so all props to her.
Ditto to all mothers out there.

It really doesn't get any easier. My kids are 2 and 5, and my wife and I are constantly on our toes. Making breakfast/lunches for daycare, baths, playing with them, pulling them apart when they start fighting, taking the oldest to swim class/skating lessons. It's a second full time job.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:27 pm

PSA: If your kid has a cold, for ****’s sake, don’t take him to Taekwondo.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Why is every kid’s game some sort of gross act? Pimple Pete, the passing gas game, the toilet that shoots water, etc. I wouldn’t even think of buying any of those.

Factorial

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Factorial » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Hmmmm.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 am

For the past couple months we've found ourselves saying "She must be teething..." because she was mildly fussy and we didn't know any better. Holy crap... the blood curdling screams that came out of this child last night. Just absolute misery and clearly in pain. The helplessness sucks. My wife said she got a good look this morning, and it's definitely just under the gum, so hopefully it cuts quickly and on to the next tooth.

It's weird, she's been so ahead of the game with most developmental things and then teeth just never happened. She'll be 9 months old here soon and this is her first tooth. On the fun side though she's started dancing in her high chair when we're listening to music and she's either eating or watching me and/or my wife in the kitchen. She sways side to side and bobs her head. Super cute.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:17 am

Ice cold teething toys are going to be your friend for the next week or so.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:28 am

We did not have a lot of success with teething toys. We did have success with teething tablets - basically some oraljel in a small tablet form.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 am

We did not have a lot of success with teething toys. We did have success with teething tablets - basically some oraljel in a small tablet form.
We used Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets, which worked very well, but have since been discontinued.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:34 am

That makes sense. That is what we used, but could not find them with baby meow and were forced to use the leftovers we had from mini-meow. Probably discontinued for a reason though... opps

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:37 am

Looks like they had issues with consistency with one of the ingredients early on, and it just spiraled: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hylan ... ts-recall/

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:40 am

Opps indeed

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks for trying to poison my kid.... geesh.

Yeah, my wife said she's busting out all the teething stuff and getting it prepped for the week. Luckily we also have a good bit of whiskey.
For me, not the kid.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:48 am

Blackberry brandy worked for me when I was a kid.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:50 am

POTENTIALLY cause seizures.

POTENTIALLY

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:50 am

I didn't even click the link... :lol:

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:52 am

Yeah, my wife said she's busting out all the teething stuff and getting it prepped for the week. Luckily we also have a good bit of whiskey.
For me, not the kid.

We used these things. Our kid loved them. He still loves them. They are a treat for him still even though he isn’t really teething anymore.

Also, we used baby Tylenol and freezing teethers if he was really bad.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:56 am

We got some sort of blueberry flavored teething biscuit that she seems to really like (might be the same brand just different flavor)... the tylenol will certainly be used for overnight and the freezing teethers will make their way into the rotation.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:23 pm

We are a non-belief in Santa household. It's a little sad, but a relief in a way.