5AF Parenting Thread

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Our four year old loves watching Masterchef Junior

Viva la Ben

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:40 pm

All three of my boys like watching Forged in Fire...that’s pretty much the extent of their interest in television outside of YouTube.

NAN

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:47 pm

My kids love HGTV and food network. They are 8 and 5. Must be a thing.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:58 am

Anyone go through lymes disease with their kid? My 6 year old got bit about 6 weeks ago and we got it out within the hour. Everything has been fine until this week and a rash (not bullseye) formed around the bit. We took him to the Dr and he got a blood test. The first of 2 came up reactive and most likely will come up the same for the 2nd test (hopefully not). He's had zero symptoms 6 weeks later and that rash only lasted for an hour or so. Anyone go through this?

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:47 am

One of the kids in my daughter's class at daycare told his teacher that his mom loved 'margaritas on the rocks' on her birthday while I was there yesterday. I thought it was hilarious and innocent. Apparently, one of the whiny parents complained about it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:12 am

That's the thing I look forward to least as my kid grows up. I pretty much laugh at everything, and by and large nothing ever offends me. Kids would be fine if their parents weren't so whiny. Want to blame millennials for ruining everything? Well just turn around and blame the people that raised them... their the problem.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:18 am

I know nearly all of the parents in the class, and I think I'd be safe in assuming that it's unlikely to be any of the parents who routinely go to the birthday parties throughout the year. That leaves the parents who never RSVP to anyone's party, which makes sense.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 am

I am not looking forward to ******-nozzle parents.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:27 am

One of the kids in my daughter's class at daycare told his teacher that his mom loved 'margaritas on the rocks' on her birthday while I was there yesterday. I thought it was hilarious and innocent. Apparently, one of the whiny parents complained about it.
Loser parents. Victory Brewing is like 4 minutes from our daughter's day care, and we go there often. She will tell her teacher that "We're going to Victory, Mommy and Daddy get a big beer but it's gross", or something to that effect. Like you said, hilarious and innocent. The stuff that comes out of her mouth is crazy :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:31 am

This type of interaction goes well in the South, where everyone (Southern Baptist) pretends drinking is evil. 🙄

I think I've mentioned how I rarely drink in front of my kids for that very reason.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 am

I'm not really a drinker, outside of the occasional glass of wine, but I think I'd hate dealing with that nonsense, DG.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:41 am

Complained about that? Wow. Find something important to worry about. The easiest way for me to tell if I like a kid/parent in school is if the kid makes some sort of off hand comment like that.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 am

This type of interaction goes well in the South, where everyone (Southern Baptist) pretends drinking is evil. 🙄

I think I've mentioned how I rarely drink in front of my kids for that very reason.
It’s funny, because if you move a little further north to suburbs of Charlotte, most everyone seems to drink openly. Mostly transplants.

FlyEaglesFly

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby FlyEaglesFly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:47 am

That's the thing I look forward to least as my kid grows up. I pretty much laugh at everything, and by and large nothing ever offends me. Kids would be fine if their parents weren't so whiny. Want to blame millennials for ruining everything? Well just turn around and blame the people that raised them... their the problem.
they're

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:52 am

They own the problem... their.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:24 pm

We started going bowling with one of our neighbors, and another parent/kid from the neighborhood every week. Everyone enjoys themselves, but my daughter is over-the-top excited about basically everything. 7-10 split? It’s the greatest thing ever. We paid something like $30 for this summer “kids bowl free” thing, where you can bowl two games every single day from June through August.

On an unrelated note, my wife and neighbor have been poking fun about me finally getting my own ball, bag and shoes. I’m 4-1 against my wife and 3-2 against the neighbor since the new gear. Hopefully, I can get my average back into the lower 200s like it was when I was younger.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:41 am

I'm surprised it took this long, but we made our first phone call to poison control over the weekend. My 2 year old bit through a glow stick and drank the contents.

I don't know if the poison control centers are localized or if there is a large national call center, but whomever my wife called did a great job calming us down. I'm still a little worried about the tiny glass particles he consumed, but apparently the call center receives this call "10 times a day" and there is nothing to worry about.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:56 am

That's good to hear. I think we called years ago when my toddler took my wife's birth control accident. :lol: :face: It literally is the same size and shape as the Singulair he took at the time...and the kitchen was dark, dad was half asleep etc. :face:

Speaking of that kid (and his 12 year old brother), I bought tickets for Hotel Transylvania 3 and dropped them off at the little 2 screen cheap theater in town, by themselves for the first time. I am relieved I won't have to sleep sit through these bad animated films any longer - they can finally go by themselves. Of course, they knew about 1/3 of the kids and parents in the theater, so they weren't really alone - one of the benefits of being in a small town.

Of course, I was deathly afraid of going back to pick them up and being met by police and charged with child abandonment. I'm only half kidding, btw.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:56 am

PCCs are typically state based, but some states have several

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 am

PA has two - one at CHOP in Philly, and the other at UPMC in Pittsburgh.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Are you an expert dot Andy Sutton dot gov

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:36 am

I just wrote my final daycare check.

Lemon Berry Lobster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:08 am

https://www.dailywire.com/news/33418/wa ... nservative
NBC reports on a parenting trend with a name as stupid as the thing itself: "theybies." This is the designation certain upper-class, white, liberal parents have given to their children, whom they have decided to raise without "gender labels."

The NBC article focuses on Nate and Julia Sharpe, parents of Zyler and Kadyn Sharpe. The biological sex of Zyler and Kadyn has been hidden from everyone, including Zyler and Kadyn themselves. They are aware of their own body parts, but they have not been told what those parts mean. They do not know their own identities. Nate and Julia will keep that secret under lock and key until the children are old enough to decide for themselves. They will reach this magical age sometime around four or five, apparently. They will not yet have reached the age where they are old enough to make themselves a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but they will be old enough to decide their own gender.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:12 am

Are you an expert dot Andy Sutton dot gov
I work for a giant hospital system and we handle our state’s PCC.

I am not, however, an expert on poisons.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 am

I just wrote my final daycare check.

Congrats, this is a great moment. Now you get to funnel all that money to sports/activities and college, lol.