5AF Parenting Thread

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Which I find hilarious. Daycares are sick factories, how are we going to protect everything else, but then let our kids basically swap disease?
I've been thinking about this. If the rona hit much earlier than everybody believes, daycares would have been ransacked with the virus.
My kid got both types of flu this year, then spiked again for a week in February. Tested negative for the flu obviously and negative for RSV. He could have had it, because that happened right before I started feeling unwell for two weeks.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:39 pm

My kids former after school/summer daycare has been open the entire time. :shock:

Granted, this is first graders through middle school aged kids only, but yikes...

I almost drove off the road when I saw 15 kids playing outside there the other day.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Wow DG that's crazy. Speaking of South Carolina, I talked to a supplier from Columbia yesterday, and the first thing he asked me was whether PA liquor stores were open. Priorities

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Yeah, our liquor stores are still open afaik. :lol: We can buy beer/wine at grocery stores as well.

In other news, eLearning for our school district ends May 21st. Students have another week to finish everything and grades will be posted.

The level of instruction between my two kids has been...interesting. My 5th grader has had 3-4 hours of rigorous work most days, Monday-Thursday. My eighth grader has 1 hour one day, 3 hours another day. His math teacher has struggled with the technology aspect of eLearning, and hasn’t posted new lessons at all - it’s been all review of the work throughout the year. This will obviously leave him gravely unprepared for high school next year.

So my wife is teaching him what he’s missed out on, which is very well received by my boy. :lol:

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:27 pm

They have been ramping down the workload for 1st graders. My daughter has basically had 2 hours of work per day, not including "optional" work, which I make her do.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:00 pm

Daycare opens back up May 11th.
Pittsburgh area? I have yet to hear anything from ours. We’ll see.
Ours is targeting may 22

Tomas

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Tomas » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:35 am

I will be buying a bigger car seat for our 4-year old in the next couple of days. I was set on Britax Frontier (which I already have for my older daughter) because I *love* ClickTight technology.

I just found out that Frontier was discontinued and replaced by Britax "Grow With You" ClickTight.

Just in case somebody has experience with both:

Do I understand it correctly that both of the car seats are virtually the same - and Britax increased the price of the "Grow With You" by about $30 just because they put a new fabric (Frontier fabric was totally fine with me)? Other than that, no technological improvement whatsoever - but somehow the harness limit went down from generous 90 lbs (Frontier) to 65 lbs (Grow With You)?

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:25 pm

I actually ordered a kit after you posted about it. They’re growing like crazy, and I expect them to head to the lid soon.

I also found praying mantis eggs while looking at this, but my wife mixed it, lol. “We aren’t setting hundreds of mantises loose in my garden.”
We let the butterflies go today. It really sucks because since the weather has been so crappy, we had to keep them inside WAY longer than expected.

Pro tip for anyone that does this, make sure you have plastic down underneath the butterfly house wherever you put it. All kinds of nasty, sticky sht (I am assuming the sugar water we were feeding them) leaked down through the tablecloth to the hardwood table my wife put it on :face:

At any rate, I think about 6-7 of them are going to be viable in the wild. Two died, and one of them had a mangled wing so I put it out of its misery. I'm sure all the extra time stuck in the butterfly house didn't help.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Source of the post Pro tip for anyone that does this, make sure you have plastic down underneath the butterfly house wherever you put it. All kinds of nasty, sticky sht (I am assuming the sugar water we were feeding them) leaked down through the tablecloth to the hardwood table my wife put it on
Our butterflies just emerged, so thanks for this!

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri May 01, 2020 1:35 pm

Ours went into their cocoons two days ago. Transferred them into the butterfly cage yesterday.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Fri May 01, 2020 1:43 pm

We only got five in our kit. Did yinz get more?

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Shaf probably ordered the double kit where they send you two cups. #2cups1kit

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Shaf probably ordered the double kit where they send you two cups. #2cups1kit
:lol:

Yes, that's correct. Why I'm not sure, although my wife got it so I'm not surprised.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri May 01, 2020 3:07 pm

and one of them had a mangled wing so I put it out of its misery.
I want an investigation.

Legit mangled or Dr. Shad Hilary and Biden are terminally ill mangled.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:08 pm

Took my son to get his 6 month vaccinations today (about a month late due to COVID). He screamed for 30 seconds, I picked him up, and he was laughing about a minute later. Love this kid.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:09 pm

and one of them had a mangled wing so I put it out of its misery.
I want an investigation.

Legit mangled or Dr. Shad Hilary and Biden are terminally ill mangled.
:lol:

Who do you think I am, Dr. Mengele?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 02, 2020 8:00 am

We’re going to find ourselves in a bit of a conundrum after next week. Our daycare will be opening back up (they were open, but only for essential employee’s kids) I’ll likely be back at work more often and my wife will be starting getting things prepped for her new job all while trying to finish up painting our house and moving. The pickle comes in sending our kiddo back to daycare. We’ll be paying either way, but the question is, when is it appropriate to send her?

I mean, if the government feels it’s safe enough to allow them to be open then we should be good. Then again, it’s the government. I know she misses all of her friends and after these last 7 weeks, she’s getting bored with me. Hell, I’m getting bored with me, but it just doesn’t feel right sending her back just yet.

Stupid virus.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:15 am

We're keeping our daughter home for the summer rather than sending her to camp. I'd be a nervous wreck if I had to send her in anytime soon.

In other news, she outgrew her old bike, so I just got her a "big girl" 20" Schwinn. It's one of their bikes that allows for both reverse pedal stopping, as well as having a single handbrake.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat May 02, 2020 9:52 am

My kids at home are 17 (HS Junior) and 12 (6th Grade). They have actually done really well, most of which is due to technology and being able to keep in touch with their friends that way.

I can only imagine this happening in like 1988 when I was a HS Junior with two younger sisters and one telephone line being the only way to keep in touch with our friends.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:41 pm

Anyone else’s kid starting to struggle a bit with the coronavirus nonsense and social distancing? Today was rough for our daughter (7). We were playing soccer down the street when she saw her best friend playing with her sisters in their yard. Then came the “why didn’t you give me a brother/sister” speech.

I bought walkie talkies so that she can give one to her friend so they can talk during the week, and her friend’s mom suggested they write each other letters and leave them in each other’s mailboxes.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 04, 2020 6:11 pm

My kid is missing daycare like crazy. We were outside yesterday and the neighbor and her daughter came out to play. I gave in. We’ve been distancing, they have too. I let them play. She definitely misses playing with kids her age.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:39 pm

My kid is missing daycare like crazy. We were outside yesterday and the neighbor and her daughter came out to play. I gave in. We’ve been distancing, they have too. I let them play. She definitely misses playing with kids her age.
I hear ya man. When our daughter saw her good friend the other day on a walk, I let them hug and play for a little bit. If that one thing is what brings COVID into my house, welp.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 05, 2020 2:35 pm

I've let my mom come over a couple times to play with the kids. She lives alone and hardly goes out. The kids have also seem my wife's parents from time to time without contact. That's been the hardest part in our household. Otherwise, the two boys have each other and that's been good for the most part.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue May 05, 2020 3:21 pm

My parents and in laws keep making comments about not being able to see our son with contact. Any time it's happened, there's been a window between them.

They're guilt tripping us hard, but my FIL picked up a side job at a farmer's market because he likes to garden and he was bored, ain't no way, am I allowing for exposure now.