5AF Parenting Thread

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:28 pm

So mini meow - who I forbid from playing goalie in hockey, has decided to work the system by playing as a shot-blocking defenseman. And not your typical 8-year-old sliding and diving all over to try and block a shot. Actual...form and timing. He's like a 50 pound Zbynek Michalek. I don't know what to do to stop this
A budding masochist, perhaps? :lol:

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:34 pm

Seriously, that's awesome and hilarious. Honestly, if he wants to be a shutdown D let him

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:22 am

My daughter and I went to Hershey Park today. Had a great time, mainly due to strategy.

As soon as we got there at park open, we beelined for the back of the park. We were able to ride Jolly Rancher Remix, Storm Runner, and Fahrenheit twice, with no wait. Hung out at the water park for a few hours (again, much less busy at noon vs 300) and then hit up several more coasters on the way out of the park while everyone was further back.

Proud of my 8 year old, she was very game for anything... Although the first photo from Storm Runner is priceless :lol: Easy $15.
Did you do the water park? We're going to Hershey Park on Friday, and I'm thinking of spending more time at the water park for obvious reasons. Our neighbors have season passes, so we get in an hour earlier than the public, which I think we'll probably use riding the more popular rides to get them out of the way.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:53 am

My daughter and I went to Hershey Park today. Had a great time, mainly due to strategy.

As soon as we got there at park open, we beelined for the back of the park. We were able to ride Jolly Rancher Remix, Storm Runner, and Fahrenheit twice, with no wait. Hung out at the water park for a few hours (again, much less busy at noon vs 300) and then hit up several more coasters on the way out of the park while everyone was further back.

Proud of my 8 year old, she was very game for anything... Although the first photo from Storm Runner is priceless :lol: Easy $15.
Did you do the water park? We're going to Hershey Park on Friday, and I'm thinking of spending more time at the water park for obvious reasons. Our neighbors have season passes, so we get in an hour earlier than the public, which I think we'll probably use riding the more popular rides to get them out of the way.
Yep! We blitzed the roller coasters in the first hour and then beelined straight for the water park for a few hours. It was getting crazy at the water park when we left, as all the people that had been sweating all day now wanted to go there. At that point, that's when we worked our way towards the front again hitting up roller coasters and other rides with shorter lines.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:13 pm

Yep! We blitzed the roller coasters in the first hour and then beelined straight for the water park for a few hours. It was getting crazy at the water park when we left, as all the people that had been sweating all day now wanted to go there. At that point, that's when we worked our way towards the front again hitting up roller coasters and other rides with shorter lines.
That's what I assumed would happen, and was planning on doing exactly what you did. Nice. :thumb:

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:33 am

My daughter's soccer coach updated the calendar for this fall season (U10 girls soccer). Practices Monday and Wednesday, 7-8:30pm, through 11/30. Not gonna lie, that's awfully late for her age group. I knew about twice weekly practices, but that time frame may be an issue at some point, because it means that she's likely not even hitting the bed until after 9pm. If any sort of school work suffers, I'm going to simply pull her out of practice 30 minutes early, because that always comes first.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:11 am

What kind of homework is she getting in 4th grade that's going to suffer?
I mean I feel you on the late nights though. My daughter's 10U softball team was doing the same and now for the fall comp team they're looking at 7-9. My biggest thing is picking her up, getting home, getting the family fed, and then heading out the door by 6:30.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:14 am

What kind of homework is she getting in 4th grade that's going to suffer?
I mean I feel you on the late nights though. My daughter's 10U softball team was doing the same and now for the fall comp team they're looking at 7-9. My biggest thing is picking her up, getting home, getting the family fed, and then heading out the door by 6:30.
Dunno yet, as school doesn't start for a few months, but I've heard that 4th grade is where homework starts to really pick up. She has to do her homework immediately upon getting home, so that won't really be an issue. I'm more worried about projects and other stuff, along with simply getting enough sleep those nights.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:06 pm

I had a similar issue with my (at the time) 7yo for fall soccer last year. Practice was from 6-7:30 every Tuesday. I'm rushing home from work, feeding him (and his brother the slow eater, since he wanted to play at the playground) and driving 25 minutes to practice. Never got there in time and it was exhausting. At least practices started to end earlier later in the season as the sun started to set earlier.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:16 pm

My son got asked to go on his first overnight trip with a friend (were best friends with the parents) thus Friday. Kind of a weird feeling that were getting to that age already lol. I guess they're going to splash lagoon and the room they bought came with 4 tickets, and lil mac is the lucky recipient of ticket #4.

How much $ should I send with him for an overnight trip? Does $50 seem reasonable or do I need to up it to $100?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:21 pm

We do a “we can square up when we pick them up” sort of thing.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:20 pm

Hol' up... isn't little mac like 3-4 years old? Or am I misremembering?

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:34 pm

I scheduled my practices 6:30-8 pm usually when I coached travel. Gave me time to wrap up all work stuff and have dinner before, and IMO did not end too late.

IMO 1 hour is sufficient for U9 and under.

Also no way they are starting soccer practice at 7 pm in November, assuming this is outdoor soccer DST ends the 6th and it will be pitch black by 7. Why are they playing in November anyway? In PA West fall soccer ends the last weekend in October, with maybe one November make up game.

Unless you are in one of those hoity toity burbs that can afford lights.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:00 pm

Our home/practice field does have lights, though I’m not sure how well they work. I assumed that the time would change as we get into October due to both the sun and the temperature. We’re doing 7-8:30 right now because it is **** brutally hot and humid every single day here while the sun is out. I would be very okay with 6-7:30 or 6:30-8.

As for November… dunno. This is our first year in fall soccer, and we haven’t even seen the game schedule yet.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:20 pm

I'm dragging my feet signing my boys up for sports in the fall. We take the summers off for sports, and it's well deserved. Running them around to various practices and games is very stressful with two working parents. Even though my wife only works 3 days a week, practices always end up on one of those days.

I really enjoy being an assistant coach when I can, or just watching them play. As long as they are having fun, it's great. But wow does it make for long days when they are in different age groups meaning different days of the week for practice. I really don't know how my parents did it with me and my brothers.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:28 pm

I'm dragging my feet signing my boys up for sports in the fall. We take the summers off for sports, and it's well deserved. Running them around to various practices and games is very stressful with two working parents. Even though my wife only works 3 days a week, practices always end up on one of those days.

I really enjoy being an assistant coach when I can, or just watching them play. As long as they are having fun, it's great. But wow does it make for long days when they are in different age groups meaning different days of the week for practice. I really don't know how my parents did it with me and my brothers.
My neighbor (daughter’s best friend’s parents) has this issue. Her one girl plays in an older league, and the other plays in my daughter’s. First girl has practices T and Th, other is M and W. So the parents have to split duties.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:46 pm

One of the best things about the kids getting older is their ability to drive themselves to this stuff. 8 am practice? 4 pm? K, see ya, drive safe!

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:43 pm

Hol' up... isn't little mac like 3-4 years old? Or am I misremembering?
Hell be 4 next month. Is he too young to go out of town with a friend of 20 years? Lol. Cause he's going :lol:

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:46 pm

For me? Absolutely, but that’s just me.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:26 pm

Yeah. My kid turned 4 in April. Grandma’s house has been her only sleep over so far.

But everyone is different, I suppose.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:45 pm

Is it more of a "they'll miss me" thing?

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:58 pm

If he will do it, let him!

My almost 5 year old probably wouldn't. Or we'd at least have to fight

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:07 pm

No reason not to try it, but have your phone on loud ready to go for that late evening/middle of the night want to come home call.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:13 pm

Noted. We told him tonight and he didn't seem to be overjoyed but still said he wanted to go.

obhave

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby obhave » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:11 am

What were some of the more unnecessary things you bought for your babies, the first time around?