5AF Parenting Thread

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:30 pm

I couldn't turn off the hazard lights on my grandpa's Bonneville. Neither could the instructor or my grandpa. Took a police officer walking by to turn it off. Instructor failed me as a result. Jagoff

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:35 pm

Our son turns 18 months on Saturday. We were stressed out for a while because we knew that he knew how to walk, but he just really liked to crawl because he's like a Navy SEAL with how fast he moves. About a week ago, something clicked and now he just wants to walk around everywhere. So funny how much more stubborn boys are.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:59 pm

Yeah, we'll be doing that with my son later this year. He'll be 15 in May, and we're in nooo rush to have him out on the road.
Yep. My daughter turns 15 in June. She's been bugging me and we have a place where she can practice almost next door to the house.

Not ready for myself, though I know she is. ;)

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:04 pm

My school was canceled because of snow the day of my drivers test. The guy that administered was easily 400+ pounds. I turned the heat up full blast. He started sweating immediately and passed me in like four minutes. He said that since I could drive stick, he wasn’t concerned about anything else.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:05 pm

. He said that since I could drive stick, he wasn’t concerned about anything else.
This is the way

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:35 pm

So funny how much more stubborn boys are.
You have NO idea. Let's revisit this post in exactly 7 months and see how well it holds.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:02 pm

Yeah, I gotta say I'm not upset by most of her picks that she demands to watch. Coco, Moana, Mulan, The Incredibles, Tangled, Princess and the Frog, Frozen, and sometimes Robinhood. We've tried the Toy Story family, Up, Wreck It Ralph, Aladdin, Cinderella, she'll tolerate them, but she's not a fan.
I want nothing more than my son to want to sit and watch a Disney movie. He can't make it 2 minutes into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse without being bored and moving on to something else.
Moving my response here as it seems more appropriate than the cesspool...

Yeah, it's one of those things that I'm torn on. First, she clearly loves these movies and she sings the songs away from the TV all the time. It also gives my wife and I a bit of a break. We can go into the kitchen and cook together, clean together or just talk without having to 100% focus on her.

At the same time, she freaking zones out watching those movies. I don't know how much is too much.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:09 pm

There isn't too much. She's young enough that she's actually learning from them anyway. As long as she has some kind of variety in activities it's all good.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:11 pm

I was worried about screen time. Prince can't sit and watch a movie for more than 20 minutes but he can do the iPad for an hour or so. I'm not concerned at all because a) he learns from the stuff he watches and b) he has no interest in spending a concerning amount of time as it is.

I just block the videos that piss me off or give him bad habits. Specifically whiny kids.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 pm

Yeah, mine will sit and watch cocomelon on a tablet for hours. Anything else, nah, I'm bored, what can I destroy?

PFiDC

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 pm

I don't even want to mention the amount of screen time my kid has had over the past year. He still gets straight As and is still very social so it doesn't seem to have a negative effect.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:05 pm

Yeah, I gotta say I'm not upset by most of her picks that she demands to watch. Coco, Moana, Mulan, The Incredibles, Tangled, Princess and the Frog, Frozen, and sometimes Robinhood. We've tried the Toy Story family, Up, Wreck It Ralph, Aladdin, Cinderella, she'll tolerate them, but she's not a fan.
I want nothing more than my son to want to sit and watch a Disney movie. He can't make it 2 minutes into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse without being bored and moving on to something else.

Yeah, it's one of those things that I'm torn on. First, she clearly loves these movies and she sings the songs away from the TV all the time. It also gives my wife and I a bit of a break. We can go into the kitchen and cook together, clean together or just talk without having to 100% focus on her.

At the same time, she freaking zones out watching those movies. I don't know how much is too much.
My kid LOVES Blippi. It's not too terrible because it's better than a cartoon and it least it's pretty interesting/educational. That being said, we have less than an hour a night, usually one episode, but during that time he turns into a zombie.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm

Yeah... I mean, it's one of those things you need every once in a while as a parent, right? Just some time to get sh*t done while the kid is either napping or zombied out.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:16 pm

It’s too much when she stops wanting to do other, more active things.

Balance TV against activity in general, and you’ll be fine. Tired kids because they ran around? TV is the reward. 10am on a Saturday? GTFO of the house. Just end your day at school and you’re fried? TV it is.

We also have chunks of time throughout the week that are green lit for TV. 4pm any day and about 8-9:30 on weekends.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:50 pm

My kid LOVES Blippi. It's not too terrible because it's better than a cartoon and it least it's pretty interesting/educational. That being said, we have less than an hour a night, usually one episode, but during that time he turns into a zombie.
Yeah we do one episode of blippi at a time too. There are much worse things out there. He's learned about fire safety, dinosaurs, recycling, among other things... All from Blippi.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Blippi is worth $40M. Unreal

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:09 pm

I'm a huge fan

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:16 pm

Weren't they a hoagie that you could get at uni mart?

Ad@m

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Ad@m » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:24 pm

Weren't they a hoagie that you could get at uni mart?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:41 pm

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:35 pm

I don't even want to mention the amount of screen time my kid has had over the past year. He still gets straight As and is still very social so it doesn't seem to have a negative effect.
Yeah, I've guilt-tripped myself a lot but what can you do? In the last year, our daughter (in first grade now) has basically learned to read entirely from home. She's doing great at school, so as long as she is staying somewhat active the additional screen time is what it is.

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:40 am

Little 'Om is about two or three more attempts from being able to crawl. It's all he tries to do when you set him down.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am

Starting to get worried that our 13 month old daughter has no teeth yet. Our 2 boys had teeth by 6 months. Good thing is she eats all kinds of food like a champ
Fast forward 1 month and she now has 3 teeth. Poor thing

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 pm

Bought my daughter her first pair of rollerblades, which just arrived in the mail. This should be interesting.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:58 pm

Nice.

I signed my daughter up for Soccer Shots (is that just a local thing or is it national?). It's her first organized-ish sports thing of her life. I'll be interested to see how it works out. They do it at daycare once a week.