5AF Parenting Thread

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:16 pm

Good point. Or it's a grandparent who isn't good with technology.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:33 pm

At son #2 baseball game (he's 7) and the opposing coach evidently watched an Earl Weaver video before coming to today's contest.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm

My wife’s school is doing rotating days this week for kids to come in for their iPads, pre-testing, meet their teachers etc.

One teacher was speaking to the class and asked if they were excited about 3rd grade. One girl said, “Third grade? I’m supposed to be in second grade.” The teacher freaked out (calmly lol) and called the office to check. Yes, the parent signed up their kid for the wrong grade (she transferred from another school in the district). So she spent the entire day in the wrong grade...and has to come back Friday to actually take the correct pre-test etc. :face:

Next, a fourth grade teacher was getting her class seated and called for Tonya to have a seat. A boy raised his hand and said, “I go by Nate.” The teacher apologized that all of the materials were in Tonya’s name, she would change them over the weekend. She assumed that the Tonya now identified as a boy. During a break, she called the students’ previous school (also in the district) to see how they handled the gender identity issue. Well, turns out Tonya is Nate’s 3rd grade brother. He even took his sister’s pre-test (and did way above average for 4th grade, despite being a year younger). The dad brought the kid on the wrong day. :face: He too will have to come back tomorrow and retake his pre-test etc in his proper 3rd grade class. And Tonya has to come in Friday and retake her tests. :lol:

So things are going well.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:04 pm

These kids gonna have some gr8 stories when they grow up for sure

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:36 am

Sixth grader's dropoff was something else. 18 minutes in the car line, start to finish. They usually have two car lines, but are only using one this year - and it was this bad with half of the students coming today. I got a thumbs up from the Yinzer transplant assistant principal for my Penguins license plate. So that was cool. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:01 pm

When I go to my younger son's baseball game I usually take a book and only pay attention to his at bats or vaguely when he is in LF (he is 8).

Tonight I had to help out because one of the coaches wasn't there.

I had to stop myself from slugging one of our own coaches and I said something to him after the game. He was riding his own kid hard during the game to the point the kid was crying after every at bat and after every inning. The last inning the kid made a baserunning error and the dad wouldn't even talk to him after the game was over. Heard him say, "If you can't even run the bases I don't want to get near you."

We were losing 15-3 so it wasn't like it mattered to the outcome.

Kid's going to need therapy. Feel bad for him.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:17 pm

Yeah. The way I see it is your kid has a near zero chance of going pro in anything. Is the astronomical chance that your kid is good enough to make it worth the near certain chance of messing them up for the rest of their lives?

Freddy Rumsen

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:20 pm

This is coach pitch and the kid has all the fancy equipment.

My kid has Walmart brand stuff, drinks all his Gatorade by the end of the 1st inning and spends most of his time in the outfield chatting up everyone and has a blast.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:54 pm

Yeah, my thoughts on this are well known. It's precisely why my son no longer plays baseball. Coaches and dadhole parents making everyone miserable, and the kids stop having fun.

Freddy, are you playing fall rec league baseball now? Or is it makeup from the spring? One of our Dixie Youth leagues in town (yes, a town of 7000 has two little leagues) does that every year and it's much more laid back. Fewer teams, t-shirt and cap (no full uniform) and the kids have a blast with it.

Freddy Rumsen

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:04 pm

It's rec league. They've ran a fall and spring season every year we've been here. The fall is supposed to be more laid back, but all the heroes are trying to make up for the lost spring.

My oldest is in kid pitch now and is pretty decent to good and has actually proven himself adept at pitching. He enjoys it, but we don't do travel ball for lots of reasons. He's going to do basketball this winter just to try it out.

My youngest is just biding his time until his mom finally relents and lets him play football.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Yep, my kids want to play football too. Not happening. :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:21 am

I was a decent basketball player. Not great, but decent. I’m tall which helps. I quit in 7th grade when I had to miss a practice for some sort of ceremony. I think it might have been national junior honor society or something along those lines. The next practice my coach pulled me aside and told me “you need to make a choice... basketball or all that other stuff.” I went and called my dad to come pick me up. I was done with that nonsense.

Freddy Rumsen

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 am

What a tool (your coach).

Nice thing about growing up in a small town once I hit those grades is that there weren't a lot of athletic boys to go around so coaches couldn't afford to run off kids.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:59 am

Baseball dads are a different breed. I got dropped from my little league LLWS roster, even though I was head and shoulders above the next best player, because my mom passed two weeks before the tournament started. He said “my head wouldn’t be in it.” I’ve never see a human so angry as when I told my grandfather what happened. I never played another baseball game after that. And I was ten times a better baseball player than a hockey player.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:06 am

Yikes...

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:23 am

My god - Google Photos creates videos from videos you've uploaded and it hit us with the newborn to now, showing him walking. What an emotional shotgun blast to the chest.

I'm having a hard time today coming to grips with my son growing up and getting closer to not needing us as much, getting old sucks man.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:35 am

I went from holding on for dear life and bawling our eyes out to not even looking my way and saying bye at daycare in a span of 2 months.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:36 am

My youngest turns 12 today, and I'm sure Google Photos will be giving me a similar video soon. Yeah man, it's tough. And although I like Google Photos, it's a bit creepy. :lol: (Yes, I am watching the Social Dilemma).

Freddy Rumsen

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:38 am

Same with FB memories. My oldest is 14, but the 12 year-old and the others whole life has been on FB.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:08 am

My god - Google Photos creates videos from videos you've uploaded and it hit us with the newborn to now, showing him walking. What an emotional shotgun blast to the chest.

I'm having a hard time today coming to grips with my son growing up and getting closer to not needing us as much, getting old sucks man.
I uploaded about 20,000 pictures I had from last 25 years in google photos. It's incredible some of the stuff that pops up on my phone every day from one of their creations, a lot of tears!

Your kids will always need you, just in different ways that you didn't expect as they and you get older. It's a beautiful thing, don't think it's just over one day.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:32 am

Your kids will always need you, just in different ways that you didn't expect as they and you get older. It's a beautiful thing, don't think it's just over one day.
Nope, I'm 46 and still use my parents' SiriusXM subscription. :lol:

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:50 am

Nope, I'm 46 and still use my parents' SiriusXM subscription. :lol:
Not too far behind you and do the same! Haha

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:09 am

In just the folder with pics of my daughter (no family events, vacations, etc.), I've got 2512 photos, with the vast majority of them taken on my DSLR. If I include my iPhone photos, that number probably doubles, easily.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:12 am

So we're doing Folders by years and special events. Feels much easier to just align everything by age, because one of the hardest things I have from my parents is what year it was, and age - because it wasn't digital.

So right now we have
0-1 - 1600+ images videos
1-2 - 800+ images and videos
Holidays and Birthday folders.

pens9192

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby pens9192 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:36 am

Yeah there's the "They Grow Up So Fast" one and it combines all my kids in one video starting at the beginning of my earliest pictures until most recent. Oh man, much eye watering.. Say what you want about Google, I'm glad for this and there is technology available for us to do this use. Between my wife and I, we easily have over 100K combined iPhone photos since 2014. Add in our DSLR and there is a few thousand more. Can't imagine doing prints of those, film purchasing, and albums like back in the day.