5AF Parenting Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Agreed with shmenguin... cheap on car seat. They all have a minimum safety rating that they have to hit. After they hit that, there really isn't much further to go, and any feature in a carseat is just silly.

We don't use a stroller much beyond going into town for events or to the farmers market (all on paved roads/sidewalks). We use a cheap-o $20 umbrella stroller from target and it works great for that. I could see it being a pain in the ass if you're trying to use it anywhere other than paved roads though.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:40 pm

The $50 Cosco brand we had was like 10% worse than the $300 Britax we had. Car seats are easy to install, and there aren’t “features” that really make a difference. Go cheap. Imo.

And yeah, I like the key fit systems where you buckle them into the carrier inside, and then pop it into the base. Then pop it into the stroller once you’re out. Super convenient, but big babies don’t last that long in these.
We're actually at the big baby stage. He's 8 months and length wise is longer than his infant car-seat, so we have to move to the next stage, just haven't done it yet.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Graco 4ever is infant all the way to booster, but I love having the intact base with pop out carrier now. Also goes right into stroller as others have said. I bought the 4ever to use once he's too big for infant carrier.

I can't oversell infant seat that you pop in/out of cars/strollers and take with you. Would probably top my must have (for convenience) list.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 pm

I had a friend on Twitter - someone I met at a conference in the same profession - rave about this certain type of stroller. She tagged the brand, so I looked it up: it cost around $1000 for a single stroller. First: what does your $1000 stroller do that my $150 Graco or whatever it was doesn't do? Second: We are in the same profession, and I know there's no way I could afford such a stroller. Evidently, she was a mommy blogger who tests these things for reviews etc.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:50 pm

I think it's reasonable to spend a few extra bucks for certain features. I've never seen a car seat that can lock in place as well as Britax ClickTight, and it's 100% due to the design. I'm referring to using the seat belt, BTW, not latch (since latch is only good up to a certain weight).

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Does/did anyone here actually enjoy the infant stage of parenting? When my kid was first born, everyone told me "cherish these moments. They go quick and you'll miss them when they're gone." F*ck off... I don't miss the newborn stage at all. My kid started walking, developed a personality, and started playing (like actual playing) the last 3 months or so, and it's been a freaking blast. Toddler years are certainly going to be my wheelhouse.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:34 pm

I enjoyed some of the infant stage, namely when she was asleep in my arms. That said, after 1 it gets much better. Just being able to communicate better makes a world of difference. Age four up is almost tops, if only because of the embracing hugs I get. It's just different, in a much better way.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I enjoy the infant stage now. He has GERD, so he threw up all the time, no matter what, and it set him back developmentally, but now we've got it under control and he's starting to grow into all of that.

The only thing that gets me emotionally is watching how fast he grows. There's no way to stop it, and it's sad, to a degree.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:00 pm

Source of the post "cherish these moments. They go quick and you'll miss them when they're gone."
I also hate this sentiment, but for different reasons. I plan to enjoy every moment of my children's lives, from infancy until I die. All stages of life will be different, with new challenges and new ways to interact.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Babies are overrated, especially if your wife nurses and the kid couldn’t give a hoot if you’re around or not. Age 2 is a blast though.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Babies are overrated, especially if your wife nurses and the kid couldn’t give a hoot if you’re around or not. Age 2 is a blast though.
My wife had issues producing, but it was actually nice for me because I got that much more QT with our daughter. For the last couple of years though...man. I get teary-eyed thinking about the unconditional love that she's had for me and the fun that we've had. I'm excited for her to start kindergarten, but I am having a really difficult time with this transition. She is such a sweet, loving girl and it's like that feeling where you don't want her to ever be exposed to all of the awful sht out there. I'm not overprotective by any stretch, but I still don't want to let go sometimes :(

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 pm

She’s gonna be a reeeeeeal dickhead soon enough. Once that happens, your anxiety over protecting them diminishes. You’re the one in need of protection from them.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Does/did anyone here actually enjoy the infant stage of parenting? When my kid was first born, everyone told me "cherish these moments. They go quick and you'll miss them when they're gone." F*ck off... I don't miss the newborn stage at all. My kid started walking, developed a personality, and started playing (like actual playing) the last 3 months or so, and it's been a freaking blast. Toddler years are certainly going to be my wheelhouse.
I pretty much felt the same way. Some things were nice about a baby, but I can’t say I really miss them. It’ll be better when I’m a grandfather and can hold the baby, make faces, then not have to deal with crying, diapers, and vomit.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:07 pm

My wife had issues producing, but it was actually nice for me because I got that much more QT with our daughter. For the last couple of years though...man. I get teary-eyed thinking about the unconditional love that she's had for me and the fun that we've had. I'm excited for her to start kindergarten, but I am having a really difficult time with this transition. She is such a sweet, loving girl and it's like that feeling where you don't want her to ever be exposed to all of the awful sht out there. I'm not overprotective by any stretch, but I still don't want to let go sometimes :(
Wait til she goes to college... less than a month away from that for me.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Re car seats
You're gonna want an infant pop out seat and base. Which sucks, because it's only good until they're like 10 months.. But it's a godsend when they're sleeping and you can just pop them right out.

Lil Mac is almost 11 mos (20ish #s) and we just switched to a graco slimfit seat for $122 on prime day. We plan on getting our parents a safety first seat from Sam's on their one day sale August 3 for $85.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:59 pm

Yeah about the only thing I liked was the "fall asleep in my arms" part.

11 mos and it's getting much more fun. Talking, playing, almost walking etc

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:19 am

My daughter will just randomly walk up to me while I'm doing something (reading, watching TV, etc.), give me a kiss on the cheek and walk away. Those moments are worth it all.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:34 am

Baby Franchise is 11 and with me working at home she stays with me all summer. Have been really enjoying the time together even if she is on her device or watching tv most the time while I’m working.

Yesterday she had a friend over and they baked a cake 100% by themselves.

Not much time left before hanging out with Dad’s not cool anymore.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:12 am

how does one choose strollers and car seats wtf man
There’s very little difference between high end and low end car seats. Go cheap.

But...you’re gonna want to have a 5 year plan here. Meaning whatever you buy should be as versatile as possible, as far as transitioning into the next level of seat goes. So when you buy a dedicated seat that doesn’t involve the whole carrier latch system thingy, get one that will convert into a booster, if possible. You just don’t want to have to buy new ones incrementally along the way.

For strollers, get Bobs or City minis, or something of high repute. Cheap strollers suck.
See, we also thought of the 5 year plan, but instead of going for versatility, we went with durability. Instead of having the seat configuration change when the kid grew, we planned on using the baby seat for multiple kids.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:14 am

I think most people who have multiple kids do that, provided that the total lifespan of the seat is under 10 years.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:17 am

As far a stollers go. Get the one that folds up the easiest

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:40 am

She’s gonna be a reeeeeeal dickhead soon enough. Once that happens, your anxiety over protecting them diminishes. You’re the one in need of protection from them.
Hah, so I've heard....don't remind me.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Somehow my kid's stomach bug has gotten the following people sick this week:
Wife
Mom
Dad
Sister
Sister's fiancee
Brother
Brother's fiancee
Grandma
Wife's boss

But I've avoided it. LOL

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Source of the post But I've avoided it. LOL
I look forward to you getting sick in the next 24 hours.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:16 pm

You were patient zero... your body was able to fight it off and not get symptoms, but you passed it on to your baby who allowed the disease to grow stronger and pass it on to everyone else while you were immune.

Way to go, dick.
Or you already had it years ago and it was just recycling, or you avoided it... who knows. :lol: