5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:45 am

The more you have, the easier it gets.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am

For two reasons:

1) Child Labor. You don't have to wash the dishes and do the laundry when there are non-paid wage slaves living in your home.

2) Group Play. They largely entertain themselves as they don't need you to fill in spots in games.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Congratulations on #2! Enjoy the hell out of it, and stop there.
Zone defense is not as fun.
lol, thanks. My daughter is starting kindergarten this fall so theoretically it will be easier than having two kids under 3 or something like that.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:26 pm

We (ha, more like she) had 3 kids in 37 months. Not advised.
Off to Kindergarten or even preschool before the next one is a good move.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:18 pm

I mentioned an article about a father-son trip before you "lose" your kid to the teenage years: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/par ... a440a358ed

Pretty good read.
Totally agree, have taken both my boys on trips just the two of us and it was great.

Oldest and I went to a CS:GO video game competition at Barclays Center which I was not really into but it is about spending the time together, right?

Middle I took to Chicago last year to see Man U (h is a huge fan) play Borussia in the International Champions Cup.

Youngest wants me to take her to France for the Womens World Cup. Maybe next time.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:06 am

We asked my in-laws to buy us a wagon for the little one's first birthday. We go for walks and the wife usually has our daughter in the stroller, and I have a dog on each side of me. The little guy has goofy legs and can only make it halfway through a walk that the big guy doesn't even consider a walk. He'd like to go much longer, as would we. About halfway through, I have to carry the little dog the rest of the way, so we figured a wagon would be perfect. Our daughter could ride in it, and then when the little dog got tired, he could join her in the wagon.

Everything was going to plan until we got to the point where the dog got tired. We tried putting him in the wagon and he was having none of it. My daughter seeing him jump out of the wagon a few times decides she's going to follow suit and try jumping out (up to that point she was happily sitting in the wagon and just enjoying the walk). So the plan was a wagon so that I didn't have to carry a dog for the second half of the walk. Reality was me carrying the dog, my wife carrying the child, and pulling an empty wagon behind her. :lol:

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:50 pm

My wife is an expert tick-finder, in large part because I think she grew up in the Hudson Valley which is deer tick/lyme disease central. Just pulled what I think is a dog tick off of my daughter. It wasn't fully engorged yet, and I was able to remove it intact. Damn it I hate those fcking things.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Do I really gotta pay 30 bucks to get my kid's picture taken with the easter bunny?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:49 am

My little one has had one hell of an April... just non-stop being sick, including the ER visit from a couple weeks ago. She's sick again and the doc wants to see her today. I took off yesterday and am going to have to take a half day today. Combine that with my wife being completely stressed out at work/hating her job at the moment (probably just a rough semester), the c2i household is ready for summer to get here.

Luckily my boss is completely cool about all of it and some of the work that is slipping between the cracks because of it. "That's why you get PTO days... go be with your daughter." He's also let me take some half days that weren't on the record of being PTO. It's a good thing that I worked on stashing up my days though. If this keeps up, they're going to dwindle fast.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:54 am

Do I really gotta pay 30 bucks to get my kid's picture taken with the easter bunny?
Bro, we got pictures taken at pre-school and they were straight trash. Like our son wasn't smiling, he was smashed up on the boppy, the images were semi blurry - and the company was begging for cash insisting they were good.

I got really passive aggressive with them, and went home and took a picture on a white backdrop with a sheet on my iPhone, to show how little effort was actually required and how bad their pictures were.

Then we get an entire daycare e-mail from our daycare apologizing and giving us a 20% off coupon for images. Nah, I'm all set, but nice to know it wasn't just me.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:57 am

I didn't like the pictures that were taken of my daughter in elementary school last month because of how soft the focus was. Luckily, I found a coupon code online and only ordered a few sheets to cut my costs down a bunch. This is a first for me, but they actually sent home printed sheets (their own selection, since they have 30+ backgrounds we could choose from online, as the kids stand in front of a green screen). We returned all of the printed sheets and purchased online. Wasted money on their part.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:20 am

I didn't like the pictures that were taken of my daughter in elementary school last month because of how soft the focus was. Luckily, I found a coupon code online and only ordered a few sheets to cut my costs down a bunch. This is a first for me, but they actually sent home printed sheets (their own selection, since they have 30+ backgrounds we could choose from online, as the kids stand in front of a green screen). We returned all of the printed sheets and purchased online. Wasted money on their part.
This reminds me I need to send ours back. The spring pictures were supposed to be with attitude, apparently. Really? I get attitude every day, I don't need a picture commemorating it. And then the we're going to send these home with you and you have to remember to return them out of the dozen of papers we send home daily or your forced to buy them. What a racket.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:28 pm

This probably goes in the gear grinding thread, but it has been like three years since we had a family photo and my wife found some coupon from Portrait Innovations and we are going Friday to get it done. My wife is freaking out about what we can wear. She's changed her mind like a dozen times and has made three trips to Old Navy.

Send help.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Source of the post The spring pictures were supposed to be with attitude, apparently. Really? I get attitude every day, I don't need a picture commemorating it.
:lol: Oh man, that must have been the same theme for our daughter, based on her pose (she is smiling, though).

Lemon Berry Lobster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm

This probably goes in the gear grinding thread, but it has been like three years since we had a family photo and my wife found some coupon from Portrait Innovations and we are going Friday to get it done. My wife is freaking out about what we can wear. She's changed her mind like a dozen times and has made three trips to Old Navy.

Send help.
Vests, then you can say it was the vest day ever.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Source of the post The spring pictures were supposed to be with attitude, apparently. Really? I get attitude every day, I don't need a picture commemorating it.
:lol: Oh man, that must have been the same theme for our daughter, based on her pose (she is smiling, though).
I got 1 out of 3 that defied the attitude direction and actually took a good picture. The other two look more like they're constipated because they're trying to force a "look"

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:43 pm

I got 1 out of 3 that defied the attitude direction and actually took a good picture. The other two look more like they're constipated because they're trying to force a "look"
Yeah, I wouldn't be paying for that photo then. My daughter has a defiant pose, but is actually smiling, so I bit the bullet on it. I refuse to pay for photos for her dance class, however. They no longer do photos after rehearsal, so you have to get them dressed up in full costume/hair/makeup for a third time just for photos. No thanks. I'll take my own photos that will end up higher quality, anyway.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Bro, we got pictures taken at pre-school and they were straight trash. Like our son wasn't smiling, he was smashed up on the boppy, the images were semi blurry - and the company was begging for cash insisting they were good.

I got really passive aggressive with them, and went home and took a picture on a white backdrop with a sheet on my iPhone, to show how little effort was actually required and how bad their pictures were.

Then we get an entire daycare e-mail from our daycare apologizing and giving us a 20% off coupon for images. Nah, I'm all set, but nice to know it wasn't just me.
That sucks man. Lifetouch comes in and does pictures at our daughter's school, and they do a wonderful job. I've been really pleased with the pictures every year.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:20 pm

We are finding out the gender on Tuesday... Can't believe tomorrow is 20 weeks already. I have mixed feelings... My daughter really wants it to be a boy :lol: I'll be happy regardless if he/she is healthy

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun May 12, 2019 1:34 pm

My little one really let me take a good look in her mouth today. She's just over 13 months old, and has zero teeth so far. The incisors both on top and bottom don't show any sign of showing up, but she has a molar in her top left that looks like it's about to bust through. I'm reading that this can and does happen where molars are first, but it's rare. Figures my kid would be a weirdo...

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:07 am

My little one really let me take a good look in her mouth today. She's just over 13 months old, and has zero teeth so far. The incisors both on top and bottom don't show any sign of showing up, but she has a molar in her top left that looks like it's about to bust through. I'm reading that this can and does happen where molars are first, but it's rare. Figures my kid would be a weirdo...
I was lookin in lil mac's mouth yesterday and he got a nice hold of my beak with his bottom two teeth :scared: :scared: :scared:

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:12 am

Dafuq were you trying to see that close?

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:15 am

I was lookin for teeth. He came at me.

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:50 am

My kid has almost all of his teeth already.