5AF Parenting Thread

Lemon Berry Lobster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:41 pm

My daughter has a Leap Frog and there are a bunch of kid-approved YT videos on there. She has been playing "It's Raining Tacos" over and over again. It's from Parry Gripp, the guy that heads Nerf Herder. I have to admit, his other songs are fun and catchy.
Watch out for Momo...

grunthy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby grunthy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Daylight screwed me this morning. Kid woke up screaming at what I thought was 4, but it was really 5, and got another 10 minutes of sleep after that.
Ours didn’t fall asleep until after 11pm and then repeatedly woke up.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:57 pm

This is your first daylight savings time as a parent, right? It bloooooows
Yes, I'm having a very rough day right now.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Daylight screwed me this morning. Kid woke up screaming at what I thought was 4, but it was really 5, and got another 10 minutes of sleep after that.
Ours didn’t fall asleep until after 11pm and then repeatedly woke up.
Ours sleeps through the night pretty consistently, but he had his first fever over the weekend, so he was up an hour earlier than normal, and that really bombed me.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm

At the other end of the spectrum, my kids tried using the "it's really 8PM, so can we stay up later???" :lol:

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Our whole house slept in today :lol: I woke up on my own at 7:25, somehow missing my alarms which I never do. My 5 yo didn't wake up until 8:50 Sunday morning :thumb:

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:42 pm

I have to say, I find myself being much more short with people who I feel are wasting my time, especially when I have my son with me. I've got x amount of hours before he melts down, so give me the simple cut and dry details and we can move on.

The unfortunate thing, is that it's bleeding over into work at times, and I have very little tolerance for the administrative stuff I shouldn't have to do.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:27 pm

The ticking clock is very real. And it’s not going anywhere. Your life now exists in chunks of precious time.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:29 pm

It took six years, but last weekend our daughter climbed into bed with us in the morning while I was still trying to sleep, and annoyed me enough that I got up and went back to sleep in her bed by myself.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

The ticking clock is very real. And it’s not going anywhere. Your life now exists in chunks of precious time.
Best way to explain it.

Nuge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Nuge » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Well after driving to the hospital in a snowstorm, a 51 hour labor, c-section, low glucose, low temperature, jaundice, and 8 days in the hospital, we finally brought our son home today. I don't know how anyone could be in the hospital any longer than that. I was going major stir-crazy in there.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Yikes, that is a long time...for everyone involved. I spent 3 days in the hospital with my wife and sons each time, and that was more than enough for me.

However, congrats! Now the fun begins!

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:28 pm

This is your first daylight savings time as a parent, right? It bloooooows
Yes, I'm having a very rough day right now.
Ditto. Ours woke up at his normal time (an hour later) yesterday but somehow, an hour earlier today. So when we fell back asleep... We were then an hour late because of sleeping in.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Yikes, that is a long time...for everyone involved. I spent 3 days in the hospital with my wife and sons each time, and that was more than enough for me.

However, congrats! Now the fun begins!
Ditto.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Well after driving to the hospital in a snowstorm, a 51 hour labor, c-section, low glucose, low temperature, jaundice, and 8 days in the hospital, we finally brought our son home today. I don't know how anyone could be in the hospital any longer than that. I was going major stir-crazy in there.
Congratulations Nuge! Happy to hear it. The jaundice stuff is scary for sure.

I think we were in the hospital from Monday afternoon until Thursday morning. That felt long.

For those of you who have two or more kids. M. Did you stay in the hospital with mom the whole time for kid 2 too?

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 am

I was lucky enough to have my parents nearby, so they stayed with the kids and I stayed at the hospital.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:27 am

My mother-in-law came down and stayed with son #1 while we were in the hospital for son #2. Fortunately, it was a planned c-section so no middle of the night labor for us.

I remember my mom went into labor with my sister and my brother and I had to go to a neighbor's house in the middle of the night in a January blizzard. God bless.

Viva la Ben

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 am

Kiddos 1&2 spent a month in the NICU, I slept in my wife’s room for the three days until she was discharged, then when the kids were ready to come home we stayed in a room overnight with them both and took them home in the morning. #3 was the typical 2 nights and out for a c-section...I stayed the first night.

Viva la Ben

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 am

The twins were 3.2 & 3.5 lbs at birth and now 13 years later are 6’ and 165 lbs. crazy how fast life comes at ya

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:25 pm

It is quite amazing how much the college application and admission process has changed in the last 20 or so years. My oldest daughter is a senior and has basically picked her school now, but getting to this point has sucked, with Clemson especially. She got accepted, with the condition that she’d have to start this summer. Had never heard of that. We checked on what the deal was. They said that the pool was very competitive this year, so out of state needed a 1350 on their SAT (she got a 1290). But that wasn’t accurate because two of her friends got in with 1250 and basically the same class rank. She also is classified as in state because I live in SC. We brought this up to the admissions office and they said they’d bring it to committee again in light of that fact that she’s in state. After a couple days they came back with the same deal. She wanted Clemson as an option, but not after all this.
This has been irritating me since you posted it last month.

What was her declared major? I've been told they are limiting enrollment for certain majors, which probably explains why she's not able to get in, but her friends are able (different majors). It might be too late now, but switching to a less popular major (i.e. English or Poli Sci) and then changing it before sophomore year might get her in the regular fall semester.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:02 pm

It is quite amazing how much the college application and admission process has changed in the last 20 or so years. My oldest daughter is a senior and has basically picked her school now, but getting to this point has sucked, with Clemson especially. She got accepted, with the condition that she’d have to start this summer. Had never heard of that. We checked on what the deal was. They said that the pool was very competitive this year, so out of state needed a 1350 on their SAT (she got a 1290). But that wasn’t accurate because two of her friends got in with 1250 and basically the same class rank. She also is classified as in state because I live in SC. We brought this up to the admissions office and they said they’d bring it to committee again in light of that fact that she’s in state. After a couple days they came back with the same deal. She wanted Clemson as an option, but not after all this.
This has been irritating me since you posted it last month.

What was her declared major? I've been told they are limiting enrollment for certain majors, which probably explains why she's not able to get in, but her friends are able (different majors). It might be too late now, but switching to a less popular major (i.e. English or Poli Sci) and then changing it before sophomore year might get her in the regular fall semester.
Yeah, we are figuring her major had an impact. It was biomed. They didn't seem too willing to work with us on getting in during the fall semester, although she didn't specifically ask about switching majors. It's all good though; she's super excited about TCU, and I honestly think that's a better fit for her anyway.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm

I really, really, really want my daughter to be 5 forever. :|

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Texas.html

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:54 pm

Scheduled mini-meows kindergarten day today.

What is this salty discharge coming from my eyes?

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:54 pm

I was talking to one of my good friends about this. I am pretty thankful I grew up when I did, right at the mobile technology boom, because absolutely EVERYTHING is recorded, shared, etc.

I feel it has to be worse raising a daughter than it would be a son, just based on common the whole "one P, versus hundreds of Ps."

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Scheduled mini-meows kindergarten day today.

What is this salty discharge coming from my eyes?
My daughter is starting kindergarten in the fall...

Man, she is at that age where her and I are as close as it gets. I know she has to grow up but I just want to cling to this age forever.