5AF Parenting Thread

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:11 pm

Honestly, it’s better than they address it sooner rather than later, so I think that’s a good sign from your school. Her teacher not mentioning issues… that’s another thing.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:21 pm

Honestly, it’s better than they address it sooner rather than later, so I think that’s a good sign from your school. Her teacher not mentioning issues… that’s another thing.
Yeah. The letter stated that the level of intervention she's at is a very fluid level. She may be there for the rest of the year, it might only be a couple weeks to a month. I'm guessing that it wasn't an issue at parent teacher conferences in Novemeber, and became an issue later in the year. Still, a heads up before just getting a letter in her folder would have been nice.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:28 pm

My son was in the extra reading "club" from 2nd-4th grade basically for the same reason. Even as a fifth grader he still has some comprehension/recall issues. Similarly, we had no idea it was coming, or in our case even happening. He had described it as Cougar Club and it wasn't until his older sister shot that down that he was like, "It's something extra like that. I get to leave class and read with my friends."

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:33 pm

@CBear3: Was that truly an intervention program, or something else? My daughter leaves her classroom for special math and reading classes, but they’re “advanced” classes for students ahead of the curve so that they’re challenged.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:40 pm

Oh no, in his case it was definitely intervention. He then got asked last year if he'd join a Saturday reading group because the teachers A) wanted to pick kids that still needed help, and B) to get their grant they needed kids that were also right on the edge of not needing it so they'd get good results.
Again, he was like "do I have to miss my basketball games? No? OK cool, I'll go read with some buds."

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:36 pm

Yeah. The letter stated that the level of intervention she's at is a very fluid level. She may be there for the rest of the year, it might only be a couple weeks to a month. I'm guessing that it wasn't an issue at parent teacher conferences in Novemeber, and became an issue later in the year. Still, a heads up before just getting a letter in her folder would have been nice.
Early intervention has come an incredibly long way since we were in grade school. She will be in good shape, but agreed that's the kind of "surprise" that would at least mildly upset most parents

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:26 pm

My son has been in early intervention since he was like 3 months old. We're preparing for kindergarten meeting, but he's got ADHD and a genetic condition which is impacting his learning.

But therapy has improved and done so much for our son, it's wild. We've been in therapy two nights a week for 5+ years, and I wouldn't really have it any other way to have the free help.

Dickie Dunn

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:02 pm

You're a couple years ahead of us, but our son has also been in early intervention since 3 months old and we'll be having his intermediary unit eval in a couple weeks to see if he still qualifies when he turns 3 in May. PT, OT, and recently added speech due to some pronunciation difficulties from learning Spanish and English at the same time. Can't imagine life without them. Been an incredible help and have lended great guidance.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:21 pm

I always feel bad doing pizza Fridays cause baby mac's daycare also does pizza Fridays and lil mac's school is usually 50/50 that they're gonna have something pizza too.. Calzone, munchable, Bosco sticks.. Etc

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:25 pm

My son has been in early intervention since he was like 3 months old. We're preparing for kindergarten meeting, but he's got ADHD and a genetic condition which is impacting his learning.

But therapy has improved and done so much for our son, it's wild. We've been in therapy two nights a week for 5+ years, and I wouldn't really have it any other way to have the free help.
If I recall our sons are similar in age.

Is early intervention also helping the ADHD?

I'm at the point where I need to start doing something for him and his behavior. It's like, intellectually he's 8 but emotionally he's 5. I know I've posted on here before about his teacher being concerned with behavior. It hasn't improved at the halfway point of the year.

The one thing I absolutely refuse to do at this point in time is go straight to medication.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:27 pm

It does to a degree in a sense that it gives him mechanisms to learn differently.

Mini mork has more impulsivity than anything so medication is our focus currently.

The therapies have been mostly PT, OT, and Speech when he needs it.

He could probably do without now but it’s free and we keep giving them goals to work on. So it’s like why not keep going while we can?

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:30 pm

You're a couple years ahead of us, but our son has also been in early intervention since 3 months old and we'll be having his intermediary unit eval in a couple weeks to see if he still qualifies when he turns 3 in May. PT, OT, and recently added speech due to some pronunciation difficulties from learning Spanish and English at the same time. Can't imagine life without them. Been an incredible help and have lended great guidance.
What’s been interesting is that we’re using those therapy techniques now on our daughter who has no known issues.

But using rollover therapy techniques to give her a jump start is good to have and we progress to crawling/aalking, etc.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:45 am

Bosco sticks.. Etc

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:31 am

Shes in kindergarten right? At my son's school its all extremely fluid and there are 22 kids in his class bouncing around between reading levels on a weekly basis. I wouldn't overthink the way you found out about it and I'm sure the teacher would be happy to talk next steps and how you can support at home

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:34 am

How do they know a 3 month old needs early intervention?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:38 am

Shes in kindergarten right? At my son's school its all extremely fluid and there are 22 kids in his class bouncing around between reading levels on a weekly basis. I wouldn't overthink the way you found out about it and I'm sure the teacher would be happy to talk next steps and how you can support at home
Yup. Kindergarten. I’m definitely just stuck on no warning or heads up. Just need to get past it. I’m not too worried about the kiddo. Chances are she had some bad weeks over the break and snow days and being sick that she got a bit behind and they’re gonna work to get her caught up. Could be nothing.

We sent the teacher a message to ask for some details and see if she thinks it’d be worth getting her tested for dyslexia due to the hereditary nature of it. We’ll see what she has to say.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:55 am

There's a grocery store called Tops (I think) who makes great breakfast pizza

dodint

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:01 am

Casey's, the midwest gas station, makes my favorite breakfast pizza.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:37 am

How do they know a 3 month old needs early intervention?
Baby Mac had EI for torticollis at 3ish months onward. Avoided a helmet with about 3 months of PT. We just wrapped up round two of EI with speech therapy a month shy of his 2nd birthday, as they were concerned he wasn't talking after a cleft palate repair. Now he won't shut up :lol:

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:27 am

I figured you were more of a Bottoms guy

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:26 pm

I think they are based out of Buffalo. NW PA has some Tops locations.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:40 pm

Another night of winter soccer, another 10-1 loss, accompanied by a crying 11 year old on the ride home. I’m just disgusted with this season, and would prefer just not showing up to anymore games. But that’s not us, so we’ll continue to suffer.

Shyster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Shyster » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:05 pm

One of the most valuable lessons from sports is that you don't always win. Sometimes you get your butt kicked. Same goes for life. Keep at it; you are building character.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:04 pm

Last week at school lil mac had a rough week behavior wise. He lost his screen time and YouTube privileges for the entire week. I told him I needed a good report to have it back, and he got it on Tuesday. But I decided to keep YouTube off the list. We've discovered and been obsessed with Emily's Wonder Lab on Netflix. Anyone have any similar recommendations because there are only maybe 10 episodes and we have seen them all multiple times :lol: ... Anyway I'm very happy that it's been over a week since I had to hear Adley and her stupid annoying dad. He doesn't even ask for it anymore. He wants to watch Emily's wonder lab and I'm not going to tell him no.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:52 pm

My son loves Emily's Wonder Lab. Had it on rotation for months.