meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed May 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Decent meow’d

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Wed May 24, 2023 2:29 pm

3 boys would still be kinda cool. Imagine 3 girls. My goodness... my wife is one of 3 girls, as is my mom

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed May 24, 2023 2:39 pm

Wish I had one of each so we could be done but nope, well be trying for our third boy soon lol
I’m hyper aware of my fortune in this life. Nothing makes me get down on my knees and thank the non-existent god more than having a boy and then a girl and being about to get snipped.
The second we found out it was a girl, it was an immediate sigh of relief for my wife. I truly didn't care - but she was pushing harder than she did the first time for a girl. I pushed harder hoping for a boy the first time, so it was nice being on the other foot giving her **** about it.

skullman80

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 24, 2023 2:53 pm

3 boys would still be kinda cool. Imagine 3 girls. My goodness... my wife is one of 3 girls, as is my mom
My brother in law has 3 girls and a boy, the boy came third...and they still went and had another one and it was a girl haha.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:24 pm

Two girls and then a boy. Monster sigh of relief.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed May 24, 2023 3:39 pm

Wish I had one of each so we could be done but nope, well be trying for our third boy soon lol
I’m hyper aware of my fortune in this life. Nothing makes me get down on my knees and thank the non-existent god more than having a boy and then a girl and being about to get snipped.
The second we found out it was a girl, it was an immediate sigh of relief for my wife. I truly didn't care - but she was pushing harder than she did the first time for a girl. I pushed harder hoping for a boy the first time, so it was nice being on the other foot giving her **** about it.
We didn’t find the sex out until they were born. The five seconds after we saw baby meow was a girl was the most euphoric I’ve ever felt in my life.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed May 24, 2023 4:05 pm

2 boys and a girl. She is now 15 going on 27. I’ll pray for you guys, you need it.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed May 24, 2023 5:49 pm

Oh, baby Mac has a fever? Ya don't say. Ya don't say.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 pm

Oldest Franchise started his job, got an apartment, and is now (mostly- he is still on our health and car insurance) on his own. Mrs. F and I went up to Rochester Weds and Thurs to help him move. His old place was on the 3rd floor, up an awkward 5 flights of stairs. Moving him out sucked, but his new place is on the 1st floor and moving him in was easy.

It's good to see him make it out on his own. And be off the payroll.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:52 pm

Beautiful. Looking forward to it. Got to get two through high school first though.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:01 am

Oldest Franchise started his job, got an apartment, and is now (mostly- he is still on our health and car insurance) on his own. Mrs. F and I went up to Rochester Weds and Thurs to help him move. His old place was on the 3rd floor, up an awkward 5 flights of stairs. Moving him out sucked, but his new place is on the 1st floor and moving him in was easy.

It's good to see him make it out on his own. And be off the payroll.
Awesome. That's going to be a strange feeling when that day finally (hopefully?) comes

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:08 am

I wouldn't change anything but to be fresh out of school, have a job, apartment, car, no bills other than rent, utilities and student loans (which granted, isn't negligible), and have it all ahead of you. Only responsibility is working and 4 days a week that's from home.... good bars and restaurants within stumbling distance... it's a good place to be.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:33 am

Our issue with our 17 year old is his delusions of grandeur of wanting to go into engineering. It sounds like high schoolers (and middle schoolers) do a lot more career testing/planning than we ever did - which is good. But he seemed to find careers with the highest salaries, and decided on environmental engineering.

The issue is that he's not great at math, and until very recently, struggled with it. He seemed to turn a corner early in high school, but still needs to take 2 math classes next year to be even considered for an engineering program. I had roommates that were engineering majors at Clemson, and they took pre-cal and beyond in high school, and still struggled with Statics and Dynamics. One of our family's friends oldest sons, a U of SC Engineering graduate and very successful engineer now, had to take one of those classes a couple of different times. Again, he was a math whiz.

I don't want to tell my son he can't do something, but I don't want him pissing away two years of college and decide that he can't do the advanced math required for a BS in engineering. It's a weird tightrope to cross tbh.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:47 am

Sounds like he should go in undecided maybe? I don’t know. Tough spot, DG

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:03 am

Yeah, or I want him to do something he enjoys and excels at - communications/marketing. They even have a Journalism and Sports Media major here (which would cost significantly less with my tuition discount) that would be right up his alley. He's a creative, rather than a number crunching/analytical mind type of kid.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:59 am

Engineering isn't pure math. For instance, Statics and Dynamics had math involved, but you had to understand the concept of it as well. Many freshmen at school had a very hard time with that class because it was an introduction into a science no high school teaches. It's definitely a weed-out class as people that are determined will push through to try to understand while others nope out (and are the lucky bastards :lol: )

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:14 am

My daughter would like to go into something music related and has very high aspirations of where she would like to pursue it, but her willingness to do the work in High School is lacking. As in, she wants to go somewhere like Berklee or NYU but she has grades her freshman year that might get her into a state system school. Might.

We’re going to visit the places she wants to attend, in hopes that they can impress on her what it’s going to take. Then she can either start taking things seriously or aim lower.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:46 am

Both my kids are F'd regarding allergies. Lil mac was already on daily doses of Zyrtec. Now doc recommends a small dose of Clairitin for baby Mac.

Orlando Penguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:46 pm

Yeah, or I want him to do something he enjoys and excels at - communications/marketing. They even have a Journalism and Sports Media major here (which would cost significantly less with my tuition discount) that would be right up his alley. He's a creative, rather than a number crunching/analytical mind type of kid.
If you’d like some insight into the sports journalism world and don’t already know someone, feel free to knock on my door.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:39 pm

yeah send your kids to OP's house

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 pm

:lol: done

Shyster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:59 pm

The issue is that he's not great at math, and until very recently, struggled with it. He seemed to turn a corner early in high school, but still needs to take 2 math classes next year to be even considered for an engineering program. I had roommates that were engineering majors at Clemson, and they took pre-cal and beyond in high school, and still struggled with Statics and Dynamics. One of our family's friends oldest sons, a U of SC Engineering graduate and very successful engineer now, had to take one of those classes a couple of different times. Again, he was a math whiz.

I don't want to tell my son he can't do something, but I don't want him pissing away two years of college and decide that he can't do the advanced math required for a BS in engineering. It's a weird tightrope to cross tbh.
Looking at Pitt's engineering department as an example, the environmental engineering major requires three semesters of calculus and analytical geometry, a semester of differential equations, and a semester of linear algebra, plus a statistics class. That is some seriously heavy-duty math.

What math classes has be taken, and how is he doing in the most advanced classes that he's taken? I personally actually did better in stuff like trig and calc than I did in more basic math classes largely due to the fact (as I've now realized) that I am absolutely terrabad at doing math in my head. I'm taking even basic addition and multiplication and stuff. But when we got to trig and calc, where everyone had access to calculators, my grades actually went up and I pretty much got straight As because I would simply use my calculator for that. It wasn't that I didn't get the concepts, it was that my brain just sucks at the actual math operations.

Sam's Drunk Dog

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:21 am

I was originally an engineer major at PSU mostly because my Dad pushed me in that direction. I didn't make it a semester before changing to undecided.

The teacher of the calculus course required a couple hours of homework every night and it had to be 100% correct in order to get any credit. I wound up dropping that class. I took it again a couple years later during the summer and this time there was no ridiculous homework requirement and I did much better.

Chemistry was also a class I struggled with and barely passed. Part of the reason I changed majors was that organic chemistry was also required and it was supposed to be even harder.

I got an A in introduction to engineering though, so maybe if I had been more passionate about become an engineer, I would have stuck with it.

I'll admit that I didn't do myself any favors my senior year of high school as I took trigonometry and astronomy instead of calculus and advanced chemistry. High school didn't really prepare me that well for college though as I hardly ever had homework, and only a few classes had cumulative midterms and finals.

I also was pledging a fraternity and working part time so I didn't prioritize studying as much as I should have.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:55 am

He got a 98 in Algebra 2 this past school year (which ended last week). He got a similar grade in Geometry last year. He struggled with Algebra and early middle school math, but somehow turned it around by eighth and ninth grade. He works at an ice cream shop and can make change without the register, which is a new development and something that used to give me fits when I worked farmer's markets (without a register lol) way back when. :lol:

I was surprised environmental engineering had the same heavy math coursework that mechanical and electrical engineering did, but once I looked into what he'd be doing, it made more sense.

We still have another year to work on him with this, but it might be a good way to get into his first college choice (Clemson) where it is extremely competitive for some majors, particularly the creative ones I've mentioned above.