MLB

MR25

MLB

Postby MR25 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 am

Max Scherzer was quoted as saying the players want to do something about the bottom teams remaining uncompetitive for years.

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:55 am

Shouldn't be too long of a lockout then if half the teams and the players are all on the same side

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:12 am

Shouldn't be too long of a lockout then if half the teams and the players are all on the same side
That's assuming that teams like the Pirates want to change anything. There are structural problems for the smaller market teams where profitability and being competitive is an inverse relationship.

The Pirates don't want to spend more money, they want to be able to compete with a 50mm payroll. And I am not sure there is a way to create more shared revenue streams.

The owners, I assume are all aligned on not-changing anything. The players want teams to stop tanking, the Pirates are the poster-children here, but that's just an easy target to point to, the real problematic situations are where teams like Braves, Cubs and Astros dump payroll to rebuild, The different between the Pirates spending 30mm and 90mm is smaller than the cubs going from like 180mm to 50mm.

robbiestoupe

MLB

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:45 am

Bob Nutting had a quote somewhere saying he was all for a salary floor, but he also wanted more revenue sharing.

faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:12 am

That's assuming that teams like the Pirates want to change anything. There are structural problems for the smaller market teams where profitability and being competitive is an inverse relationship.

The Pirates don't want to spend more money, they want to be able to compete with a 50mm payroll. And I am not sure there is a way to create more shared revenue streams.

The owners, I assume are all aligned on not-changing anything. The players want teams to stop tanking, the Pirates are the poster-children here, but that's just an easy target to point to, the real problematic situations are where teams like Braves, Cubs and Astros dump payroll to rebuild, The different between the Pirates spending 30mm and 90mm is smaller than the cubs going from like 180mm to 50mm.
Manfred:
“We offered to establish a minimum payroll for all clubs to meet for the first time in baseball history; to allow the majority of players to reach free agency earlier through an age-based system that would eliminate any claims of service time manipulation; and to increase compensation for all young players, including increases in the minimum salary,” Manfred wrote, reiterating aspects of MLB’s proposals confirmed by multiple people familiar with them. He added that MLB offered to increase the competitive balance tax threshold and create a new draft system including a lottery.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... _top-table

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:14 am

This is awesome.

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:15 am

Manfred:
“We offered to establish a minimum payroll for all clubs to meet for the first time in baseball history; to allow the majority of players to reach free agency earlier through an age-based system that would eliminate any claims of service time manipulation; and to increase compensation for all young players, including increases in the minimum salary,” Manfred wrote, reiterating aspects of MLB’s proposals confirmed by multiple people familiar with them. He added that MLB offered to increase the competitive balance tax threshold and create a new draft system including a lottery.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... _top-table
That's interesting, I would love to know what the players think they can get out of this. The offer only gets worse from here.

faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:22 am

That's interesting, I would love to know what the players think they can get out of this. The offer only gets worse from here.
Sounds like that's the case. I'm not sure what they are talking about in the next paragraphs:
But what the owners were unable to do was create a framework that disrupts what the union sees as an owner-friendly status quo. That existing framework was developed over years of player concessions during CBA negotiations, a pattern the union is determined to reverse this winter.

“This drastic and unnecessary measure will not affect the Players’ resolve to reach a fair contract. We remain committed to negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement that enhances competition, improves the product for our fans, and advances the rights and benefits of our membership,” MLBPA Executive Director Tony Clark wrote in a statement.

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:24 am

create a framework that disrupts what the union sees as an owner-friendly status quo
What the **** does this mean?

faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:26 am

create a framework that disrupts what the union sees as an owner-friendly status quo
:?:

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 am

All I see is the players demanding to negotiate on their terms, so the owners offering concessions is viewed with hostility because reasons. I guess I understand this desire to change/improve things, but that proposal enacts a series of improvements that will benefit the players and take steps to alter the existing landscape.

basically, stupid to just discard incremental improvements. The players have far less leverage in these negotiations, the owners aren't going to be the ones that break here.

MrKennethTKangaroo

MLB

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:38 am

Is there a glaring example of "player concessions" in recent years that i'm not thinking of? The MLB players union has guaranteed contracts and no salary cap.

faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 am

Here's hoping a salary floor will come with a dollar for dollar penalties for not reaching that floor.

Dickie Dunn

MLB

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:35 am

Is there a glaring example of "player concessions" in recent years that i'm not thinking of? The MLB players union has guaranteed contracts and no salary cap.
Best pension plan in profesional sports and health benefits for life after 1 day of service time. MLB players have it great.

shafnutz05

MLB

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:03 pm

I'm not sure what the hell it means, but "Disrupt" is another annoying buzz word that gets used way too often these days.

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:14 pm

nocera

MLB

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:21 pm

They want less revenue sharing?

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:25 pm

They want less revenue sharing?
I mean, unless that tweet is fake news.

faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:12 pm

MLB and all team websites scrub likenesses of players.
As MLB.com reporter Mark Feinsand tweeted early Thursday, “in order to comply with federal labor law during the lockout, MLB is making every effort to not use players’ names, images or likenesses (NIL) for promotional, advertising or other commercial purposes.”
https://www.mlb.com/pirates/roster

dodint

MLB

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:14 pm

The Pirates background wallpaper being empty seats is very on point.

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:18 pm

Jason Mackey was all fired up about the website scrubbing. Good example of the inverse relationship between tweet volume and intelligence. (inverse is my word of the day)

King Colby

MLB

Postby King Colby » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:28 pm

So the players want less revenue sharing, but for tanking teams to spend more... do they expect small market owners to just print extra money? Nutting operates at slim margins as it is...

My prediction is:
1. No salary floor, but revenue sharing forfeiture below certain levels
2. Draft lottery and ability to trade all draft picks (Nutting will love this, he can tank but not have to spend 1st pick money)
3. Overhaul of free agency that eliminates super-two and is based on a sliding age scale similar to the NHL (i.e. years of control decreases as age of increases... example a guy that starts at 21 is controlled for 6 years but a guy that starts at 25 maybe only 2. NHL uses age 27.)
4. Universal DH (it's time and this is a nothing concession for owners)
5. International draft
Last edited by King Colby on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Players want less revenue sharing

King Colby

MLB

Postby King Colby » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Players want less revenue sharing
Lol just edited

dodint

MLB

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:42 pm