King Colby

MLB

Postby King Colby » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:03 pm

RIP Bob Gibson

King Colby

MLB

Postby King Colby » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Just saw this

In 1968 Bob Gibson had 34 starts with 28 complete games. He was pinch hit for only 6 times. He was never removed off the mound . Ended with a 1.12 ERA

Pretty sure they lowered the mound after that season

MrKennethTKangaroo

MLB

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:43 pm

Roy Halliday pitched 266 innings in 2003. That is the most innings pitched in a season in the past twenty years. Gibson threw more than 266 innings 7 times in his 17 year career

DigitalGypsy66

MLB

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:45 am

I miss complete games tbh

MrKennethTKangaroo

MLB

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:04 am

also had 5 career triples, 10 career stolen bases, and got caught stealing 13 times

I bet pitchers these days have explicit instructions *not* to try and stretch out triples because it would make them too tired to pitch or something. Only weirdos like Zack Greinke actually try and hit as pitchers these days

Orlando Penguin

MLB

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:50 am

A couple of my friends and I were discussing this last nite as we watched the Padres finish off the Cardinals. The Padres used HOW MANY pitchers in that game *checks boxscore*, 9? Game 2 of A's-White Sox used 17 pitchers with NONE of them getting more than 6 outs. Oy vey. For those of us who grew up on Nolan Ryan or Roger Clemens or the Atlanta Trio, etc, this trend is nauseating. It's also a reason why games take for freakin ever (as well as the interminable commercial breaks). I get it. You do what you have to do to win the game because that's the ultimate object. But if MLB wants to cultivate any sort of casual fanbase, this crap needs to get curbed somehow. And right now, there are no fans in the stands so the TV optics are all they have.

Then, there's the whole analytics deal that dictates offensive strategy. This year's ghost runner on 2nd in extra innings experiment was a referendum on philosophies. Us old schoolers looked at it as an automatic bunt situation to get the guy to 3rd base with 1 out. The only time I'd advocate against that is if you had your 3-4-5 hitters up. But at the very least, they can hit the ball to the right side and advance the runner. But the numbers geeks mock us for making an easy out. During the Marlins-Cubs game yesterday, the announcers were making a point that guys don't practice bunting anymore so that renders the idea moot. I'm sure the Cubs could have used a little smallball yesterday. I know my Twins could have used it a couple of times in their 2 losses. As a result of no smallball, you have either a K, walk, or home run. Prior to the 2 games on Friday, 38.8% of the plate appearances in the playoffs ended in one of those 3 results (thanks, Ken Rosenthal). It's pretty difficult to watch with no flow in a game.

faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:12 am

A couple of my friends and I were discussing this last nite as we watched the Padres finish off the Cardinals. The Padres used HOW MANY pitchers in that game *checks boxscore*, 9? Game 2 of A's-White Sox used 17 pitchers with NONE of them getting more than 6 outs. Oy vey. For those of us who grew up on Nolan Ryan or Roger Clemens or the Atlanta Trio, etc, this trend is nauseating. It's also a reason why games take for freakin ever (as well as the interminable commercial breaks). I get it. You do what you have to do to win the game because that's the ultimate object. But if MLB wants to cultivate any sort of casual fanbase, this crap needs to get curbed somehow. And right now, there are no fans in the stands so the TV optics are all they have.

Then, there's the whole analytics deal that dictates offensive strategy. This year's ghost runner on 2nd in extra innings experiment was a referendum on philosophies. Us old schoolers looked at it as an automatic bunt situation to get the guy to 3rd base with 1 out. The only time I'd advocate against that is if you had your 3-4-5 hitters up. But at the very least, they can hit the ball to the right side and advance the runner. But the numbers geeks mock us for making an easy out. During the Marlins-Cubs game yesterday, the announcers were making a point that guys don't practice bunting anymore so that renders the idea moot. I'm sure the Cubs could have used a little smallball yesterday. I know my Twins could have used it a couple of times in their 2 losses. As a result of no smallball, you have either a K, walk, or home run. Prior to the 2 games on Friday, 38.8% of the plate appearances in the playoffs ended in one of those 3 results (thanks, Ken Rosenthal). It's pretty difficult to watch with no flow in a game.
:thumb:

offsides

MLB

Postby offsides » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:38 am

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

MLB

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:19 pm

:fist:

shafnutz05

MLB

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Gibson also pitched three complete games in the 1967 Series against the Red Sox, only giving up three runs over those games. The series went 7 games, he literally just about won that series on his own.

Orlando Penguin

MLB

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:12 pm

Gibson also pitched three complete games in the 1967 Series against the Red Sox, only giving up three runs over those games. The series went 7 games, he literally just about won that series on his own.
Tim McCarver tells the story about how he was terrified to go out to the mound to talk to Gibson. He'd get out there and Bob would scowl at him and then say, 'what the f are you doing out here? I pitch, you catch, get back there'. Intimidating pitcher who would have no time for the 'look at me' shenanigans of today's players.

King Colby

MLB

Postby King Colby » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:17 pm

Nearly 40% of plate appearances ending in a K/BB/HR is a disgrace. Thats not **** baseball

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

MLB

Postby iamjs » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:19 pm

28 years ago today, the Blue Jays pulled off one of the best pranks on Derek Bell

Pat Tabler's expression at :38 is :lol:

Beveridge

MLB

Postby Beveridge » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:11 am

**** Derek Bell

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:22 pm

I'd vote for Vin if he ran

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Got me thinking - he's one of the few universally loved. Trying to think of many comparisons but they're rare. Arnie was one for sure, but there aren't many in that crowd

MrKennethTKangaroo

MLB

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Fred rogers?

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:10 pm

Probably. I was thinking that but wasn't sure if it was local bias

DigitalGypsy66

MLB

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:15 pm

Jimmy Stewart? Bing Crosby?

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:19 am

Cole vs Glasnow ALDS game 5. Cool.

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:25 am

NH on suicide watch?

faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 am

Bing Crosby was a horrible person from what I remember. Didn't he horribly abuse some of his children?

MWB

MLB

Postby MWB » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:54 am

Cole vs Glasnow ALDS game 5. Cool.
Interesting choice in Glasnow over snell. I assume he’ll be more of an “opener,” since he pitched Tuesday, and they’ve got most of their bullpen in good shape.

DigitalGypsy66

MLB

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:58 am

Bing Crosby was a horrible person from what I remember. Didn't he horribly abuse some of his children?
Oh absolutely, a horrible father and husband. But the public didn't know that until after he'd passed away.