faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:29 pm

I've always liked Johnny Bench.
:thumb:

MR25

MLB

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 pm

Thom Brennaman, Reds commentator, got caught on live mic referring to something as "one of the f*g capitals of the world".

He gone.

mikey

MLB

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:54 pm

I hate Brennaman...he always has some dumb **** to say about NFL coaches and what plays and strategies they should be employing...you're not smart or the color guy, zip it...

I imagine that's curtains for him...man of faith or not...called a homerun during his apology too...

King Colby

MLB

Postby King Colby » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:06 pm

I never liked him because he spelled it Thom. No joke.

CBear3

MLB

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 pm

Apparently he was telling a story about being in San Fran for the WS right before the commercial break, so chances are he was referencing that and not the classic Blazing Saddles line (the Red's are playing Kansas City tonight).

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Thom Brennaman, Reds commentator, got caught on live mic referring to something as "one of the f*g capitals of the world".

He gone.
I thought this meant effing and was confused how that made sense and then.. yeah that's gotta be it for him

nocera

MLB

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 am

"That is not who I am and never has been." ...Except for about 5 innings ago, when that was exactly who I was. But other than that, that's not who I am. Seriously guys. I'm good.

dodint

MLB

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:04 am

Yeah. He's using the 'I was drunk' excuse, except he was sober and at work. :lol:

King Colby

MLB

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 am

Since when did being a play by play guy require sobriety

nocera

MLB

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:23 am

Since when did being a play by play guy require sobriety

shoeshine boy

MLB

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:30 am

"That is not who I am and never has been." ...Except for about 5 innings ago, when that was exactly who I was. But other than that, that's not who I am. Seriously guys. I'm good.
I love when people say that. it is who you are but you got busted. if it's not who you want to be, then change your behavior and way of thinking.

MR25

MLB

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:38 am

And it's always "I'm sorry that people got offended/that I offended people" rather than "I'm sorry for saying the word(s) that I said".

shoeshine boy

MLB

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:40 am

And it's always "I'm sorry that people got offended/that I offended people" rather than "I'm sorry for saying the word(s) that I said".
that is my absolute favorite! it might as well be, "I'm pissed off that I got caught".

nocera

MLB

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:41 am

that is my absolute favorite! it might as well be, "I'm pissed off that I got caught".
Right. Who even thinks to say what he said if you're NOT that kind of person?

NAN

MLB

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:51 am

Meh, I say crude stuff with my friends. My good circle of friends at work includes a gay guy, a Asian guy, a black guy, and a few gingers. And they throw it right back at me. I don't feel it makes me a racist or homophobic or anything. We think it's funny. The more I rip on someone or say something about someone I feel it's the more I like them. Hell, if I ever ran for president and someone released my text chain with them, we'd all not be fit for office.

But he is an idiot for saying it knowing that at anytime the mic can be on and he'd get fired.

nocera

MLB

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Okay I can see that. You're talking about a very small audience and I'm assuming you guys know the "rules." Meaning you know what's cool to say as a rib and what isn't (if there is anything). I'm also assuming context plays a pretty important role. Another assumption I feel okay making about you is that you wouldn't use that sort of language at work. And as you pointed out, you especially wouldn't use it if your work involved broadcasting out to thousands of people.

mikey

MLB

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:21 pm

Yeah, I'm not gonna pretend like I'm some puritan...not that I'm going around just rapid firing various slurs, but I especially wouldn't be trying out edgy slur material three seconds before going on the air...even in Ohio...

shafnutz05

MLB

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Okay I can see that. You're talking about a very small audience and I'm assuming you guys know the "rules." Meaning you know what's cool to say as a rib and what isn't (if there is anything). I'm also assuming context plays a pretty important role. Another assumption I feel okay making about you is that you wouldn't use that sort of language at work. And as you pointed out, you especially wouldn't use it if your work involved broadcasting out to thousands of people.

Always nice when I can agree with my diametric political opposite on something :)

It takes a special level of stupidity to utter ANYTHING like that in a broadcast booth...how many hot mic moments do you have to hear about over the years to think that's a good idea? Producers mess up. Cues are missed. His own dumb fault.

Also I love that you used the term "rib". Smark! ;)

nocera

MLB

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:45 pm

Always nice when I can agree with my diametric political opposite on something :)

It takes a special level of stupidity to utter ANYTHING like that in a broadcast booth...how many hot mic moments do you have to hear about over the years to think that's a good idea? Producers mess up. Cues are missed. His own dumb fault.

Also I love that you used the term "rib". Smark! ;)
:thumb: When I saw I had a reply from you my first thought was "oh son of a dodint what did I say?"

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Not sure I really grasp the sentiment of this discussion. I don't think anyone would argue that it is harmful to use slurs with your friends in a private setting, speaking words doesn't inherently inflict wounds on people. But do we really need to delineate why this was a reprehensible thing for this guy to have done?

nocera

MLB

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:49 pm

That's my bad. I made the statement of "who even thinks to say that if you're not that kind of person." I sparked that debate. I don't think anybody is letting Brennaman off the hook.

shafnutz05

MLB

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:56 pm

That's my bad. I made the statement of "who even thinks to say that if you're not that kind of person." I sparked that debate. I don't think anybody is letting Brennaman off the hook.
Agreed. I'm sure most of us used that slur many, many times with friends growing up. And at the same time, most of us have never actually used the slur against a gay person, it was always just another word boys called each other.

At 56 years old, Thom Brenneman should be several decades past that phase of his life.

mikey

MLB

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:59 pm

And even if he's not...he's in a booth for broadcasting...

He's toast for being an idiot...even if he "doesn't want to be" that idiot, he is...bye now...

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:00 pm

man I'll tell you what - that was just another word for weird until about 2008 or so for us and everyone our age. As much as it makes me cringe to think. Then I worked a summer with a gay guy and we learned pretty quickly to just eliminate it from our vocabularies. Brennaman was always dis-likable imo, so it's not terribly sad to see him go

mikey

MLB

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Agree with ulf...for my entire life up through college, that was probably the second most popular word said on the hockey rink...

This discussion is away from Brennaman (who, like ulf said, was very unlikable anyway) as we all seem to basically agree he fried his own egg...but when we used it, it was never at anyone we knew or we suspected as being a homosexual, ya know? It was just a word that we thought was a synonym for "b*tch"...not saying it's right, wrong, or indifferent...but we didn't really know the word carried any real weight...

By comparison, I've never once heard the n-word used on the rink or in the room at any point in my life that I can recall...we understood the gravity of that word at a young age...it just wasn't the same with this one...

It's really the seamy underbelly portion of the evolution of colloquial language...this f word and that r word went all Enron stock in about a three-ish year window...