Algae's Thread of Nootropics and Vitamins/minerals

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:27 am

I figured I'd make this thread to let people know about Noots and to let people know that there are some vitamins out there that can pretty much give you instant gratification for some ailments.

Some Noots are really awesome. Some aren't so awesome and can be bad for you.

Also stuff like this

I've relatively recently started taking Bulletproof Coffee and holee godric, this stuff is awesome

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to- ... rning-too/

Also just ordered

10 grams Adrafinil - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrafinil
Non-narcoleptic users generally find that adrafinil gives them increased energy and reduces fatigue, while improving cognitive function, mental focus, concentration, and memory. It has been reported that quiet people who take adrafinil become more talkative, reserved people become more open, and passive people become more active.

Of course, many stimulant drugs, ranging from caffeine to methamphetamine, are known to produce similar alerting/energizing effects. Adrafinil has been described by some users as a "kinder, gentler" stimulant, because it provides these benefits but usually with much less of the anxiety, agitation, insomnia, associated with conventional stimulants.

Adrafinil's effects are more subtle than those of the stimulants you may be used to, building over a period of days to months. They appear to be based on its ability to selectively stimulate 1-adrenergic receptors in the brain.2 These receptors normally respond to norepinephrine (noradrenaline), a neurotransmitter linked to alertness, learning, and memory. This is in contrast to conventional stimulants, which stimulate a broader spectrum of brain receptors, including those involving dopamine. Its more focused activity profile may account for adrafinil's relative lack of adverse side effects.

Dosing
The standard dose is 2 to 4 300-mg tablets per day for improving cognitive function, although some people may find lower doses produce a desirable degree of improvement. Higher doses have been used to treat narcolepsy.

http://www.smart-publications.com/artic ... timulation
100 grams Picamilon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picamilon

The Way Picamilon Works Its Magic
Now that you are aware of the reported benefits of supplementing with picamilon, let’s get into some details of how it works in your body.

As mentioned previously, picamilon has two components: niacin and GABA. When picamilon is ingested, it is eventually absorbed into the circulatory system (bloodstream) and is able to cross the blood-brain barrier due to the presence of niacin. Within brain tissue, hydrolysis occurs, and picamilon is then separated into niacin and GABA with the result being increased levels of both substances in the brain.

Niacin, besides being the carrier to get GABA across the blood-brain barrier, is a potent vasodilator. Vasodilation is widening of blood vessels and occurs by the relaxation of smooth muscle cells in blood vessel walls. This creates an environment in the brain resulting in increased blood flow and circulation. As a result, there is more effective delivery of important nutrients and counteracting of the effects of constricted blood vessels (vasoconstriction), such as migraine headaches. Also, with vasodilation and increased blood flow, detoxification of brain cells should occur to a greater degree since toxins should be able to be more effectively eliminated.

GABA is a neurotransmitter that works on receptor sites (GABA receptors) at inhibitory synapses in the brain which produces an anxiolytic response, or inhibition of anxiety. How GABA functions is pretty complex, but its actions result in countering stress and anxiety and acting as a mild tranquilizer.

Picamilon Effects: Mood Vs Cognitive Enhancement
The list above of the benefits of supplementing with picamilon is pretty fantastic to say the least, but they fall under two primary results:

Mood Enhancement, and
Cognitive Enhancement
One of these results may be of more importance to you, but based on many user testimonials, both will occur. The cognitive benefits are cumulative and will take several weeks to develop, but the mood effects will be felt quickly, and they should last several hours. At the lower daily dose ranges, picamilon has a mild tranand at the higher daily doses, it acts more as a stimulant.

If cognitive improvement is your primary goal, there are other supplements you may want to research that do not have the GABA component.

http://picamilon.org/

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:48 pm

I take gummy vitamins.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:56 pm

I take gummy vitamins.
Me too brah.

Last edited by Algernon on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:56 pm

What do people think about glucosamine/chondroitin supplements? I thought the scholarly consensus is that they're bogus. There just isn't a mechanism through which ingesting glucosamine could lead to increased/better-lubricated cartilage in joints.

However, I know some scientifically literate people who know about the clinical research (doctors and physical therapists) and take these supplements themselves and swear that they work.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:01 pm

What do people think about glucosamine/chondroitin supplements? I thought the scholarly consensus is that they're bogus. There just isn't a mechanism through which ingesting glucosamine could lead to increased/better-lubricated cartilage in joints.

However, I know some scientifically literate people who know about the clinical research (doctors and physical therapists) and take these supplements themselves and swear that they work.
Better off just doing yoga and eating anti inflammatory

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:10 pm

i just had someone recommend me that Alpha brain stuff from Onnit.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:28 pm

Probiotics need to be refrigerated or die...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:33 pm

I also use the gummy vitamins. Pills leave the worst taste in your mouth.

RoMo21

Postby RoMo21 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm

I'm going to assume that at least 50% of things posted in the OP are steroids.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:52 pm

people at work grow these Tibetan mushrooms and swear by them, but so far they are the only ones in the office who have actually gotten sick... what's the deal with these things?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:52 pm

The OP has likely moved on from many of these things considering the thread was made like 18 months ago...

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:03 pm

The OP has likely moved on from many of these things considering the thread was made like 18 months ago...
There is a button you can push that shows you every thread that has never been responded to by anyone. My guess is columbia pressed that button, and then picked one.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Probiotics need to be refrigerated or die...
Right because bacteria can only survive in temperature below 40 degrees

Wait what?

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:08 pm

Still have them but haven't used them in awhile.

Provigil aka the first nootropic up there is cool until you crash

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Anyone know about this stuff?

https://www.elysiumhealth.com/

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Surely you have researched the potency/organism content difference between the borderline fake non-refrigerated ones (generally speaking) and the refrigerated ones which are sensitive to heat and moisture and die when not kept at a certain temperature...

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:21 pm

No I haven't but it's only because I eat massive amounts of yogurt anyway

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:40 pm

I think after you bone up on the subject, I think you'll move over to refrigerated probiotics or scrap them all together...

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:49 am

i take room temp culturelle