Disney! Wheeee!

DigitalGypsy66

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:23 pm

We did Disney in June once. Keep in mind that I'd lived in SC for 25 years by that point, but the heat was miserable. I recommend looking at the January-April window. November-December holiday crowds are insane.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby meow » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pm

Your favorite park? Kids favorite park?
Epcot for me. Slower paced. I like the grab a snack or drink at each country, but slowly keep meandering.

Kids liked Hollywood Studios. Seven y/o goes between that and Legoland. Four y/o was HS for sure. She’s big into Toy Story
Your favorite ride? Kids favorite ride?
Rise of the Resistance for me probably. Although the dwarf mine one was really good. Son was RotR - although he did the build a lightsaber thing and that was his favorite activity. Four y/o liked the dwarf mine and the little mermaid
Favorite foods/restaurant?
Cosmic Cafe in MK had a 1971 meal that was pretty good. Had it for lunch both days we were there. I was largely disappointed with the meals/restaurants as a whole. Some good one offs here and there for snacks, but mostly underwhelming

NTP66

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:30 pm

It’s been a while, but we weren’t impressed with most of the food at DW, and that wasn’t even factoring in the prices.

nocera

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby nocera » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:36 pm

:thumb: Our favorite places are Tusker House in AK. They have a great breakfast buffet/character meal. Be Our Guest (MK) has a great atmosphere. Garden Grill (Epcot) is fun too. Sanaa (AK Lodge) might have my favorite food. Actually it’s a tie between that and Takumi-Tei (Epcot).

But yeah, most quick service is fine at best.

meow

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby meow » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:37 pm

I said last page that I didn’t have a problem with any prices of things. Food especially. Very reasonable for the setting

NTP66

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:54 pm

You have lower expectations than I do.

meow

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby meow » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:01 pm

We did Teppan Edo in Epcot. It was..ok. I love me some hibachi and it was just so damn plain. Not enough soy sauce. White rice. No garlic in the noodles. Just a safe meal from a business perspective.

nocera

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby nocera » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:08 pm

Wait we didn’t go to Takumi-Tei. I googled it and just assumed that was the one but it wasn’t open in 2018. And it wasn’t Teppan Edo. Maybe Tokyo Dining? Maybe Katsura Grill?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby LITT » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:15 pm

How was the international festival of the arts at Epcot?

How did you like the contemporary

What did you think about the enchantment firework show

NAN

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby NAN » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:43 am

Got back last night.

1. First time we went wo strollers and a big bag of crap. Very nice and life a lot easier.
2. Not a lot of characters out yet and if they are they are far away for the most part. And character parades are just mini type, just one or 2 floats. I think my youngest missed the normal interaction and autographs. Buy that's covid.
3. Because of that we did a lot of express meals because their aren't a lot of character experiences at the restaurants right now. A lot of the same food but still decent.
4. We got genie plus for all the parks. I know it can be pricey, but 100% worth it imo.
5. I love all 4 parks. I used to think epcot and Hollywood studios were meh, but so much added over the last 20 years.
6. We stay at art of animation. That is our favorite. And the skyliner makes going to epcot and hs so easy and quick.
7. It can get expensive but imo disney does a great job. We love it as a family. Totally worth it. We do some sort of Disney trip every 2 to 2.5 years.

meow

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby meow » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 am

How was the international festival of the arts at Epcot?

How did you like the contemporary

What did you think about the enchantment firework show
Not sure what the festival of the arts is

The contemporary was really nice. Bar, simple restaurant, and Chef Mickey’s. Apparently it is newly renovated. Having the monorail right there was huge. Being walkable to MK was also huge since we went there twice. The only downside was was we were on the lake side and at 10 pm every night there was something going on out there that woke our kids most nights

The fireworks were great. I don’t have anything to compare it to previously, but it was really stunning

NAN

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby NAN » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:31 am

The art festival at epcot was just like the one downtown has during the summer. A bunch of booths set up around the park. We aren't really into art, but there was some neat pieces.

The enchantment show was great. But disney does a ton of great shows so it didn't stand out from other things they do.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:03 am

The festival also has booths with food and drink options. The only booth we checked out during our visit was the Pop Eats one. My wife got the grilled cheese and soup, which was good but the portions were small for the price. I got the Brooklyn Hazy IPA which was pretty good but not a must drink compared to everything else they have at Epcot.

Looking over the booths, nothing really stood out IMO to spend the time in line. I would have possibly tried the deconstructed BLT at the Deconstructed booth if there wasn't a line. I really wanted to try Regal Eagle BBQ so I got that instead and would recommend that.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby LITT » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:23 am

Did you use genie+ and did you find it helpful

NAN

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby NAN » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:31 am

Yes and yes

Sam's Drunk Dog

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:43 am

Yes and yes
Same, but I think I liked FastPass better

meow

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby meow » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:44 pm

Yes and yes and yes and yes.

I would not go to a Disney park without getting one of them. We were able to do the Seven Dwarf mine coaster twice within a 45 minute window when the line was 180 minutes.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:30 pm

Not sure if I should put this in here or in the Star Wars thread.........

We're going to Disney!and in a couple weeks, and I plan on doing the Savi's Workshop lightsaber thing. I want to build one with a yellow kyber crystal, but it looks like all the videos I can find are either from the Before Times, or still just have the 4 basic options (blue, green, violet, red). However I see the occasional video of people building Darksabers, and blades of other off colors, and I get confused. I know you can buy aftermarket crystals that work with the Savi's hilts, but I'd like to activate it in its desired color. Is there a hack I'm unaware of that gets you different colors? Like a secret passphrase or handshake or something?

shafnutz05

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:36 pm

We did the Food and Wine festival with my mom before our daughter was born. That was... A **** show :lol:

meow

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby meow » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:48 pm

Not sure if I should put this in here or in the Star Wars thread.........

We're going to Disney!and in a couple weeks, and I plan on doing the Savi's Workshop lightsaber thing. I want to build one with a yellow kyber crystal, but it looks like all the videos I can find are either from the Before Times, or still just have the 4 basic options (blue, green, violet, red). However I see the occasional video of people building Darksabers, and blades of other off colors, and I get confused. I know you can buy aftermarket crystals that work with the Savi's hilts, but I'd like to activate it in its desired color. Is there a hack I'm unaware of that gets you different colors? Like a secret passphrase or handshake or something?
mini meow did this when we were there. Amazing experience by the way. He only had the choice of green, blue, purple or red. And then they divided the room into two and someone walked around with a device with crystals you can pull out. Problem being that there are not enough of each color for everyone. mini meow did not have the choice of purple because he was the last one on his side to choose. Not a big deal because he is apparently a Sith Lord and wanted red. I imagine you can take it apart and buy an after market crystal, but as far as I know, you have to build it with one of the four colors offered.

LITT

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby LITT » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:20 am

I would not go to a Disney park without getting one of them. We were able to do the Seven Dwarf mine coaster twice within a 45 minute window when the line was 180 minutes.
how did you manage this? you purchased the lightning lane for 1 round of rides and then you went back at the recommended time based on the genie's recommendations for you?

DigitalGypsy66

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:28 am

I'm concerned my teenagers are going not want to wake up and get to the parks at opening. Ugh.

They are giddily excited about it though and swear this won't happen...but we'll see.

nocera

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:31 am

I'm concerned my teenagers are going not want to wake up and get to the parks at opening. Ugh.

They are giddily excited about it though and swear this won't happen...but we'll see.
Leave em. They can hop the bus or monorail and meet up with you later.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:08 pm

I'm too fuddy to do Rope Drop.

meow

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby meow » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:13 pm

how did you manage this? you purchased the lightning lane for 1 round of rides and then you went back at the recommended time based on the genie's recommendations for you?
I’ll have to ask mrs meow or my BIL how they did it exactly, but there were daily conversations about waking up and being on the app at 7 am and each of them trying to get a different ride. Then you can book again every two hours and/or as soon as you complete a LL ride. I’ll find out tonight and circle back here.