Disney! Wheeee!

NAN

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby NAN » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:20 pm

Again, the story is that attendance is down from last year and lowest since 2019 (not counting Covid) NOT that the parks are empty, but this is the first article that I've seen mention that Universal is dealing with the same thing. So, it's not go woke go broke Disney or due to pricing. Like I said above, it's probably more due to revenge travel cooling down and nobody wants to bake to death in Florida in the summer. Also currently looking at a 115 minute wait for RnR coaster, 95 for Slinky Dog and 7DMT, 85 for Space mountain, 80 for Toy Story Mania and Runaway Railway, 75 for Rise, Peter pan, and Smuggler's run, etc. So lower attendance definitely doesn't mean the park looks or feels empty.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/13/business ... index.html
One quote in that article at the end is with regard to people shifting their spending from the Disney theme parks to Disney cruising.

I'll admit, we did that this year. We are doing a two day stop at the parks before the cruise, but we are shifting from our usual 7 day Disney extravaganza we typically do. 1) It is getting more difficult to pull the kids out of school during the school year to go at different times outside of summer which we have typically done to avoid the heat and the rush 2) the cruise is more relaxing, and again, as the kids are getting older, we still enjoy the disney experience, w/o having to wait in line and sweat our balls off

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby LITT » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:24 pm

im not buying the temperature argument - (most) people plan their travel months in advance. you know its going to be hot in disney in july. do you want oven hot or surface of sun hot is the difference i guess. and i think its just sensationalism to get people all spun up and so mission accomplished. the markets seem to like iger news.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:32 pm

I would like to see the demographics of the typical Uni Orlando guest. It's probably less so today than even 10 years ago, but I wonder how many people go to Orlando specifically for Uni, vs those who go to Orlando for Disney and fit a day or two at Uni on the side. I don't think they have any locations in the US that are not sort of colo'd with Disney; I think all of their overseas parks are licensed ventures.

Uni is starting to push the edge of this envelope a bit, with new parks in the works in Austin and Vegas (although I think the latter will be something more like the MSG Dome, meaning it will be an elaborate 'experience' rather than a full fledged park).

nocera

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:38 pm

Well, Disney used to be the top 4 most visited theme parks in Florida. Now that list goes:
1. Magic Kingdom
2. Islands of Adventure
3. Hollywood Studios
4. Universal Studios

The tide is turning for Universal in Florida thanks to Harry Potter. It'll only get better with Nintendo in 2025. Halloween Horror Nights does huge business as well.

Stoosh

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby Stoosh » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:32 pm

Again, the story is that attendance is down from last year and lowest since 2019 (not counting Covid) NOT that the parks are empty, but this is the first article that I've seen mention that Universal is dealing with the same thing. So, it's not go woke go broke Disney or due to pricing. Like I said above, it's probably more due to revenge travel cooling down and nobody wants to bake to death in Florida in the summer. Also currently looking at a 115 minute wait for RnR coaster, 95 for Slinky Dog and 7DMT, 85 for Space mountain, 80 for Toy Story Mania and Runaway Railway, 75 for Rise, Peter pan, and Smuggler's run, etc. So lower attendance definitely doesn't mean the park looks or feels empty.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/13/business ... index.html
One quote in that article at the end is with regard to people shifting their spending from the Disney theme parks to Disney cruising.

I'll admit, we did that this year. We are doing a two day stop at the parks before the cruise, but we are shifting from our usual 7 day Disney extravaganza we typically do. 1) It is getting more difficult to pull the kids out of school during the school year to go at different times outside of summer which we have typically done to avoid the heat and the rush 2) the cruise is more relaxing, and again, as the kids are getting older, we still enjoy the disney experience, w/o having to wait in line and sweat our balls off
We're doing the same this year as well - three days at WDW in late November and then jumping on a 3-night Wish cruise. Can't wait.

Admittedly, this wasn't due to any dissatisfaction with the park experience; we love the parks & the resorts, at least from what we've experienced in our two full trips. We just wanted to do a cruise and as this is our first, we thought a quick three-night cruise on the Wish would be perfect.

I've heard a lot of the same, though...that the cruises do the whole "Disney Magic" thing better than the parks currently do. My parents became annual passholders when they moved to central FL five years ago. They decided not to renew their passes this past February. The main reason is because the drive to the parks became too much of a pain for them, but another big factor for them was the fact that they just started enjoying cruises more.

NAN

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby NAN » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:54 pm

We're doing the same this year as well - three days at WDW in late November and then jumping on a 3-night Wish cruise. Can't wait.

Admittedly, this wasn't due to any dissatisfaction with the park experience; we love the parks & the resorts, at least from what we've experienced in our two full trips. We just wanted to do a cruise and as this is our first, we thought a quick three-night cruise on the Wish would be perfect.

I've heard a lot of the same, though...that the cruises do the whole "Disney Magic" thing better than the parks currently do. My parents became annual passholders when they moved to central FL five years ago. They decided not to renew their passes this past February. The main reason is because the drive to the parks became too much of a pain for them, but another big factor for them was the fact that they just started enjoying cruises more.
Yeah, we still love the park experience, it's just getting harder for us to avoid the summer months as the kids get older, and we don't do well in the heat and humidity.

You'll love the cruise IMO. They do a great job. Both with the Disney "magic" and the cruising experience in general. And Castaway Cay (if you are going there) is awesome as well.

We are doing the WIsh as well. We did the Dream on our last Disney cruise. Loved it.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby LITT » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:35 pm

The wish looks pretty amazing

Gabe

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby Gabe » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:37 pm

D+ was sort of Iger's swan song; after a tenure spent broadening the Company's IP portfolio, this was going to be a way to deliver content directly to consumers in a way that kept Disney relevant in a new segment. In the years leading up to launch he was unequivocal that short term losses would be substantial as the company produced content to fill the service and gain subs, and to build out and deploy the necessary technology. But as time has gone on, that spend has not translated into longer term prospects. And the "time has gone on" bit was Chapek's tenure, which is why he was fired over a weekend on his way to Dodger Stadium to introduce Elton John. Coupled that with the fact that he did not exactly embody the top of the Wooden pyramid (ex. the best are at their best when their best is what is needed).

One of the things Chapek did was reorganize the Company and created a new division called Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution - DMED - which was my segment when I was hired. (I don't know what division Gabe works for) But DMED separated creative from business on the digital side of things, and from a content point of view sort of steered the ship into the ice. Public shareholders notwithstanding, Disney is sort of the last 'independent' major studio, with no external pressure from a corporate overlord, and the creation of DMED sort of inserted that dynamic into the middle of the Company's structure in a segment (streaming) and at a time (post-D+ launch) when it was least useful. It was such a dimwit strategic idea that the Chairman of that division (Kareem Daniel) did not see sunset on the first full day of Iger's return; DMED was blown up within a few weeks, and much of 2023 has been spent unf**king that mess. (I have like three or four Power Points from when I was onboarded with DMED watermarks that are sort of quaint now in retrospect.)
I work in DPEP. Still making money but I'd say there is belt tightening.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:42 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to transfer over there before things go sideways.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:40 pm

The 'Eras' studio water tower desk lamps were back in stock on shopDisney last week, so I ordered one. (When they were first released, I had one in my online shopping cart, but they sold out before I completed checkout) It arrived today.................. the outer packaging had clearly been dented and punctured, and the inner product packaging showed clear signs of corresponding damage. And, of course, it was much more 'rattle-y' than I would've expected. Sure enough, I open the thing up and it's in like 11 different pieces.

Woohoo

So I submitted a claim to UPS, and requested a replacement from shopDisney. One of the remaining b&m stores is just up the way from our house in Camarillo, maybe a 30-minute drive; if they have them in stock I might just head out there to pick it up instead of having another item busted up in shipping. They're limited release items (mine was marked 1102 of 3000), so however it's handled I hope I can get a replacement.
If it makes you feel better, they're still in stock here: https://www.shopdisney.com/walt-disney- ... 35523.html
SITREP

Turns out the B&M store in Camarillo is an outlet (which is probably why it's located in an outlet mall.........) and they didn't have any stock of these lamps. So I organized a return/exchange via UPS. Took a couple weeks to complete, but the replacement lamp (2222 of 30000) was delivered to my doorstep last week.......................... in a similar state of demolition.

I told support I just wanted a refund, which they processed immediately without question. And they told me I had no need to return the damaged item. So I broke out the Gorilla Glue and set about trying to piece things back together. If you don't look where the legs mate up to the lamp base, it looks fine. But, much like with Weenie, if you examine the undercarriage it's a bit of a mess.

It's on a stand next to my desk, lamping away right now. But I honestly feel like it will crumple at any given moment. lol

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:41 pm

Also, I have yet to hear back from UPS regarding my initial claim.

DigitalGypsy66

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:24 pm

All of the Taylor Swift talk in the other thread and I thought you were buying Eras tour merch :lol:

nocera

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:06 pm

Whole lot of park news coming from D23 today.

Will miss Tough to be a Bug but new shows are always welcome.

Good. Tron test track has always sucked.

Walls are finally coming down.

I hate this so much.

Crazy they couldn’t get this in before Halloween.

Meh. Star Tours hasn’t been the same since “The Adventure Continues” update. This is more of the same.

Not sure how I feel about this one. The Indy ride is great but I also really love Dinosaur. But that area of DAK really needs some love so I'm optimistic.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:58 pm

"Crazy they couldn’t get this in before Halloween." I'm more amazed that what appears to be a relatively straightforward effect took 45+ years to get right.

Dickie Dunn

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:01 pm

Hmm.

- Are they working on a Zootopia sequel or something? Seems odd to redo Tough to be a Bug (which I loved) 7+ years after Zootopia came out.

- I had no idea they made Test Track Tron themed. Get rid of that ASAP.

- Surprised it took this long to work Moana and Encanto into something park/ride related.

nocera

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:04 pm

-Well Bug’s Life is 25 years old. And yeah, Zootopia 2 was announced in February. No release date yet afaik.

-It’s not officially a Tron theme but it may as well be. It’s definitely inspired by Tron.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:15 pm

Iirc a Zooptopia was soft-announced in Iger's first investor call back in the saddle. Doubling down on proven IP; e.g. sequels.

What I'm a little bummed about is this is the second D23 in a row that's been kind of........................... lame?

LITT

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby LITT » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:41 am

zootopia news seems weird

bummed to see dino go but that area stinks and any opportunity to improve is a good thing

any news on whats happening with teh starcruiser?

CBear3

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:38 pm

I was just saying Friday night that I'd totally watch a Zootopia sequel. So I guess that's cool.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:39 pm

Re Starcruiser

It's done. The final 'voyage' is in a couple weeks.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:40 pm

Zootopia is a billion-dollar movie, I'm surprised it took this long to openly engage in sequel talk.

LITT

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby LITT » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:41 pm

Re Starcruiser

i meant what are the plans for the infrastructure that they built out for it? surely they have something planned

DigitalGypsy66

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:03 pm

Everytime I see a sloth, I think of the DMV. :lol:

nocera

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:13 pm

Re Starcruiser

i meant what are the plans for the infrastructure that they built out for it? surely they have something planned
Very nice storage.

tifosi77

Disney! Wheeee!

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:56 pm

At DLR, there are three entrances to Galaxy's Edge/Batuu. But at DHS there are only two..... with a third access point coming directly from Starcruiser (I think via an underground shuttle). There hasn't been any announcement made what will become of that property. It's across Cast Member parking; it's not a huge footprint, but it's physically about a quarter mile 'over the berm'. So I'm not sure if they have any plans for it, aside from writing it all off.

It will make for a nice auction, though, if you live in the Orlando area.

(I saw one suggestion that they should turn it into a regular old SW-themed hotel. That's a nice idea, but would probably be less worthwhile than simply eating the loss.)