5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2015-16 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread

ExPatriatePen

5AF's Premier College Football Thread: 2015-16 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:31 am

13-9
Ancient History

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:31 am

My post has the exact words "Pitt should play UPS and UWV every year" in it. My preference if I am forced to pick one of the two is no different than it was 10 years ago. I also don't think Narduzzi is saying he doesn't want it renewed.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:34 am

I also don't think Narduzzi is saying he doesn't want it renewed.
http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/2965 ... n-responds
Similar to the way WVU resents an annual meeting with Marshall, Pittsburgh feels the same about West Virginia. Pitt believes the Backyard Brawl does nothing for it from a recruiting standpoint. The Panthers almost never dip into West Virginia to corral recruits, while the Mountaineers consistently search Western Pennsylvania and even feature some of the areas top former players on their current roster, including Aliquippa's Dravon Henry and Hopewell's Rushel Shell, among others.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:44 am

I don't know what to tell you. Narduzzi's quote is he'd like to play UWV but views the UPS game as more desirable. I have no reason to believe Narduzzi is lying or if what the UWV site you're referencing accurately represents how the current staff feels about the game.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:46 am

Pat Narduzzi responding to Dana Holgorsen’s “we’re begging to play Pitt” comment: “I never beg"

— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) July 28, 2015

Pat Narduzzi on WVU series: “I’d love to play WVU someday but our instate rivalry (Penn State) is bigger than an out-of-state rivalry”

:pop:

IMO, Pitt should play UPS and UWV every year but if I have to pick one its UPS.
Samesies. My preferred OOC schedule for each year would have UPS and UWV, plus the standard game against a MACish school and an "exotic" P5 school we don't see much of. Looks like the current slate of future OOC games is currently:

2016: Nova (blah), UPS, OSU, Marshall
2017: YSU (blah), UPS, OSU
2018: UPS, Notre Dame
2019: Delaware (ugh), UPS
2020: Richmond (why?), Marshall, Notre Dame
2021: Tennessee
2022: Tennessee
2023: Cincy, Notre Dame
2024: Cincy
2025: Notre Dame

I don't remember the specifics of Notre Dame's deal with the ACC, but they seem too prevalent in Pitt's schedule from what I can remember. I really hope games against the likes of YSU, Delaware, and Richmond go the way of the dodo. I liked the pretend rivalry with Cincy, so I don't mind them on the schedule but would prefer to see that space occupied by WVU or something exciting like a PAC12 or SEC school.
We (and all ACC teams) play ND every 4-5 years I believe. I think the ND games you have listed there are vestiges of the prior contract we had with them that was abrogated by the ND-ACC deal.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:50 am

I don't know what to tell you. Narduzzi's quote is he'd like to play UWV but views the UPS game as more desirable. I have no reason to believe Narduzzi is lying or if what the UWV site you're referencing accurately represents how the current staff feels about the game.
What do you expect Nardo to say??? We're scared of WVU??? Hell, the proof is in the rest of the comments. You can say anything you want. But talk has always been cheap with that program. Meow.

https://youtu.be/ixByJJhMFR0

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 am

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 am

So he's afraid of playing UWV because he'd lose those games, so by avoiding UWV he then says he'd rather play UPS, which is a better program than UWV in the first place. Interesting logic.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am

I also don't know what other comments about UWV there are. All I've seen is the "I don't beg" and "I want to play UWV but would rather play UPS" if I am choosing. The quote you posted is the UWV writer's opinion.
Last edited by slappybrown on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panther

Postby Panther » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am

Narduzzi = Wannstedt :pop:
Biggest mistake was running Wanny out. If Narduzzi=Wanny, I'm good.

It's always been funny to me how people place blame on coaches for kids getting arrested. What do you want the coach to do? Implement harsher disciplinary policies? That doesn't actually stop anyone from getting arrested. These "kids" are adults with the freedom to make their own decisions. Never has one of them gotten into the car drunk at 2am and thought, "Well if this turns out poorly, I may not be able to play ball."

I know this because I personally knew each of the dummies who got in trouble between '08 and '10. Emphasis on dummies. They're just dumb. Not a coach's fault.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 am

Note that Pitt is willing to play Marshall...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 am

Pat Narduzzi responding to Dana Holgorsen’s “we’re begging to play Pitt” comment: “I never beg"

Pat Narduzzi on WVU series: “I’d love to play WVU someday but our instate rivalry (Penn State) is bigger than an out-of-state rivalry”

:pop:

IMO, Pitt should play UPS and UWV every year but if I have to pick one its UPS.
Samesies. My preferred OOC schedule for each year would have UPS and UWV, plus the standard game against a MACish school and an "exotic" P5 school we don't see much of. Looks like the current slate of future OOC games is currently:

2016: Nova (blah), UPS, OSU, Marshall
2017: YSU (blah), UPS, OSU
2018: UPS, Notre Dame
2019: Delaware (ugh), UPS
2020: Richmond (why?), Marshall, Notre Dame
2021: Tennessee
2022: Tennessee
2023: Cincy, Notre Dame
2024: Cincy
2025: Notre Dame

I don't remember the specifics of Notre Dame's deal with the ACC, but they seem too prevalent in Pitt's schedule from what I can remember. I really hope games against the likes of YSU, Delaware, and Richmond go the way of the dodo. I liked the pretend rivalry with Cincy, so I don't mind them on the schedule but would prefer to see that space occupied by WVU or something exciting like a PAC12 or SEC school.
We (and all ACC teams) play ND every 4-5 years I believe. I think the ND games you have listed there are vestiges of the prior contract we had with them that was abrogated by the ND-ACC deal.
After looking up "abrogated" I decided to find another website showing the schedules. The Notre Dame games are correct. They committed to playing every ACC team at least once every three years.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-notre-da ... 2014-10-21

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 pm

lol, ah ok, every three years is great by me. Pitt has played ND a lot historically (ND has played Pitt 5th most in its history) so I am glad that its that often and not the 4-5 years I thought.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:09 pm

I was joking, hence the :pop:

Panther

Postby Panther » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:14 pm

sorry then Freddy. Didn't interpret it that way

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:20 pm

So he's afraid of playing UWV because he'd lose those games, so by avoiding UWV he then says he'd rather play UPS, which is a better program than UWV in the first place. Interesting logic.
Obviously nsfw language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q141Lz06bdE

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Man I missed the WVU-Pitt battles

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Obviously nsfw language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q141Lz06bdE
Well...Pitt's probably going to lose.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:33 pm

slappy why are you even trying

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:03 pm

So, PSU is 38-25 over the past 5 season with 3 bowl games (no major bowls). WVU is 37-27 with 4 bowl games including a trouncing of Clemson in the Orange bowl.

Seems your comment isn't supported by fact.
If only... what it really is, is one die hard WVU fan wading into a pool of rabid sPitt fans. I know exactly what my odds are with this crowd. (Slim to none) None-the-less, it's college football and I love the fan rivalries.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:13 pm

So, PSU is 38-25 over the past 5 season with 3 bowl games (no major bowls). WVU is 37-27 with 4 bowl games including a trouncing of Clemson in the Orange bowl.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:24 pm

To me, the top 3 Pitt rivalries are PSU, WVU and ND. Obviously would love to play them all every year, but with realignment, conferences going to 9 games, and the ND deal, it would almost be impossible to play all every year, or even have two of them annually unless you want the same schedule every year.

So with that, Pitt should focus on establishing the PSU rivalry first. Fill in other years with WVU, and then we get every 3 years with ND.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Sorry, which numbers are wrong? I'll be happy to make the correction. looks like pretty much a dead even draw. PSU is fractionally better during the season by a single victory and WVU is better in Bowl appearances by 25%. So I'm not sure what facts you're taking exception to.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 pm

If only... what it really is, is one die hard WVU fan wading into a pool of rabid sPitt fans. I know exactly what my odds are with this crowd. (Slim to none) None-the-less, it's college football and I love the fan rivalries.
UPS is a better overall program than UWV. I think most every UWV fan would concede this. I'm trending into defending UPS territory here, but UPS put that up during the Sandusky probation where they weren't even eligible for bowls and had significant scholarship reductions. I'm not sure why this is the battle you're choosing, but ok.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Sorry, which numbers are wrong? I'll be happy to make the correction. looks like pretty much a dead even draw. PSU is fractionally better during the season by a single victory and WVU is better in Bowl appearances by 25%. So I'm not sure what facts you're taking exception to.
Again, UPS surpassed UWV's record with significant scholarship reductions and without bowl eligibility for a big portion of that period. You can keep saying the word "fact" over and over buts its divorced from the reality.