BEER

Lemon Berry Lobster

BEER

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:44 am

Yeah, can't be comparing a DIPA to a NE IPA...

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:47 am

I do agree that there are so many excellent beers now. Instead of ranking them one by one, it would easier just to tier them.

Speaking of good beer, I had Nugget Nectar for the first time a couple days ago. Was excellent.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:00 am

Stopped at the beer store yesterday to do some browsing for the first time in a while (typically I just grab a sixer of something from Wegmans)...

Picked up:
Stone Tropic of Thunder Lager - I had it at a bar the other night, and really enjoyed it.
NOLA Syncopation - Had no idea we got NOLA stuff up this way, but am excited to try it.
Stoneyard Brewing's Ellsworth IPA - The reviews looked good. I don't think I've had anything from them just yet.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:26 am

I haven't had Nugget Nectar yet so far this year... I plan on changing that at Beerfest tonight.

Also, I'd like to say that I do still think Heady Topper is very good, and I would not turn down a can if offered. And I do not agree with Shad's comparison, though I do really like me some Dirt Wolf... different beers.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Thought Nugget Nectar was solid this year. Found Hopslam to be much better than the past couple years.

It's funny how much palates can shift. I feel like initially when I started drinking lots of NEIPAs, I was a little down on Heady. Once I started getting sick of NEs, beers like Heady and Head Hunter are freaking amazing to rediscover.

@count2infinity I was in State College for the first time in almost 10 years last weekend. Went to Federal Taphouse. How does that place get by charging that kind of money for mediocre craft beer that (a) is just mediocre in the first place, (b) probably doesn't stay fresh with so many taps, and (c) comes from dirty lines? Obviously, I did not have a good experience there.

If college kids have that kind of cash for beer, man, a cookie cutter haze factory opening up shop in State College would making a killing.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:59 pm

There's a Federal Taphouse in Lancaster too, forget how much they charge for drafts but I know it's not cheap.

I do see they have Harpoon Winter Warmer on tap. One of the worst beers ever.

robbiestoupe

BEER

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Some of the worst beer I've ever tasted came from Happy Valley Brewing. It's in the water

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:16 pm

count2infinity I was in State College for the first time in almost 10 years last weekend. Went to Federal Taphouse. How does that place get by charging that kind of money for mediocre craft beer that (a) is just mediocre in the first place, (b) probably doesn't stay fresh with so many taps, and (c) comes from dirty lines? Obviously, I did not have a good experience there.

If college kids have that kind of cash for beer, man, a cookie cutter haze factory opening up shop in State College would making a killing.
Bolded is their selling point. People pay extra to know they won't be surrounded by college kids.

That said, I agree with you. They do not sell great/hard to get beer (there is a place in town called Liberty Craft House that does sell some interesting/hard to find stuff), and the stuff is overpriced beyond belief.

The only place in town that has attempted a hazy beer is Otto's. They have a hazy peach IPA on tap which is/was decent enough, but I ordered one this weekend and it was crystal clear. :lol:
Some of the worst beer I've ever tasted came from Happy Valley Brewing. It's in the water
What did you have and when? The first year or two that they were in operation, their beer sucked. I think they were just getting their feet under them. They have since produced some pretty good stuff. Their session IPA is baller.

robbiestoupe

BEER

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:21 pm

What did you have and when? The first year or two that they were in operation, their beer sucked. I think they were just getting their feet under them. They have since produced some pretty good stuff. Their session IPA is baller.
I don't remember the names of the beers, as they were entered in a beer competition among friends. One was a light beer (most likely an IPA) and the other a dark. It was just this past summer, so something recent.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Heady is as good as advertised.

That is all.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Stoneyard Brewing's Ellsworth IPA - The reviews looked good. I don't think I've had anything from them just yet.
Yo... go get this beer now. It’s fantastic. And at 6% it’s not going to destroy you if you have a couple.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:29 am

Unfortunately, didn't end up getting to have Nugget Nectar... Stopped by Troegs early but both they and Victory were having major issues with their pours so it was basically a **** show. Then I "had a few" and forgot to go back.

Had a lot of good, but not necessarily memorable things. Best was probably Hop Juju, which despite being delicious is not new to me. Honorable mention to ST 3XIPA.

Was disappointed by most of the sours that I tried.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Nice to see hop juju in cans this year

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Nice to see hop juju in cans this year
:thumb:

At this point, there is no negative bias toward cans for craft beer drinkers. Put them all in cans.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:11 pm

My wife's colleague was kind enough to bring me back two beers from Other Half Brewing in Brooklyn. Having Daydream Layers, an imperial oat cream IPA. This is fantastic.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:57 pm

My cousin brought a couple ipas from Other Half to xmas a couple years back... They were excellent.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 am

https://www.breweriesinpa.com/cinderlan ... -location/

Cinderlands is opening a second location in the old Spaghetti Warehouse near the strip district. I never had their stuff, but I heard somebody mention them before and said it wasn't bad.

blackjack68

BEER

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Any Philly area FAfers want to buy two tickets to the Philly Craft Beer Fest this Saturday?

VIP tickets 12:30-5pm. First hour VIP only with beers only allocated for VIP. Sold out online.

Asking $100 for the pair.

I can email them if you have PayPal.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:04 pm

Couch Brewing is pretty decent. The Belgians are good.

Gaucho

BEER

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:12 pm

I like beer.

tjand72

BEER

Postby tjand72 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:06 pm

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Voodoo is opening their 7th location in State College next week. How do they have 7 locations? I like their beer, I'm just surprised to see they are able to open 7 locations. Who is behind that brewery?

https://www.breweriesinpa.com/grand-ope ... e-college/

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Voodoo is opening their 7th location in State College next week. How do they have 7 locations? I like their beer, I'm just surprised to see they are able to open 7 locations. Who is behind that brewery?

https://www.breweriesinpa.com/grand-ope ... e-college/

Micros in MD and VA have rather extensive distribution setups. A lot of beer going to a lot of places. Places the size of Brew Gentlemen distributing state wide. That is something that the PA micros do not seem to do. Minor distribution, but nothing like in MD and VA. However, it's obvious that micros can produce at that scale. Voodoo opened that new production facility. They have gone with the PA model of just having taprooms as opposed to extensive distribution, but they can produce so much that they just keep opening locations. There are a few places like Troegs, Victory or Yards that distribute widely, but it's not the norm in PA.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Had an interesting one last night... Collab by Drekker and Untitled Art called Raspberry Sour IPA.

This basically tasted like a slightly hopped raspberry Creamsicle... It was really good. Not super hoppy or particularly sour. Creamy... Lots of floaters but I didn't let that bother me.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:25 pm

Anyone a member of any of the Bruery Societies? Thinking about taking the plunge.