BEER

Tomas

BEER

Postby Tomas » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:54 pm

Stella Artois Midnight Lager Limited Edition is actually quite a good dark lager (which is the kind of beer quite popular in Central Europe, but difficult to find in the US). It has 83% on Beer Advocate, but ranks quite high if you filter out dumbasses who write "I like stouts, porters, etc. - and this tasted too light!"

(It is a F*&%^ LAGER!!! :twisted: ).

Anyhow - if you like lager, but want to go for something *slightly* spicier - that may be something to try. I think it should be easy to find (I got it in Walmart).

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:07 am

Picked up a case of maple mackinac fudge KBS for the holidays. Sounds delicious.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Picked up Troeg's Winter variety pack, one of my favorites. Troegenator, Perpetual IPA, Blizzard of Hops, and a dunkel I haven't tried.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Blizzard is really good this year (it is most years, I just don't remember it year to year).

Also, just picked up a sixer of their blood orange cranberry tart ale. Looking forward to that.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:10 pm

Yes on blizzard. I'm through two cases so far this release.

Tomas

BEER

Postby Tomas » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:27 pm

Not sure how far from the home base these beers can be bought - but Northwest Arkansas breweries are really good. Out of those, Ozark Brewing Company is probably the best. And their Onyx Coffee Stout (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33344/117323/) and Cream Stout (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33344/106092/) are phenomenal...

tjand72

BEER

Postby tjand72 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:56 pm

I snagged some sale beer today - Cigar City Good Gourd imperial pumpkin ale. Not the best pumpkin I've had, but pretty good for $1.25 apiece.

RonnieFranchise

BEER

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Having tried a few- not really a fan of the "Juicy IPAs" that seem to be the rage now. Just give me a good regular IPA.

I do like that sours are enjoying popularity now though.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:58 pm

I like the juicy/hazy ones but have gotten to the point where it just seems like they're no longer distinguishable between breweries. All of them taste the same.

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:18 pm

I like the juicy/hazy ones but have gotten to the point where it just seems like they're no longer distinguishable between breweries. All of them taste the same.
Agreed. You go anywhere in the country right now, even to the smallest podunk town, and you can find a drinkable ipa

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Nugget nectar season is upon us anyway, drink a lot of that

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:42 pm

I find the juicy hazy ipas to be very much alike as well. Seems they’re either really good, decent, or bad and there’s not much distinction within the tiers.

And yes, nugget nectar will be my next purchase.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:58 am

Due to the pandemic, Beer Advocate is doing their Extreme Beerfest online this year. Given the unique opportunity to actually try some of these for once, I signed up back when it was available.

Got my shipment of beers the other day and I'm pretty excited to try some of these.
BeerAdvocate x BeerThugLife x Crowns & Hops (Los Angeles, Calif.)
F2020X3; 16oz can; 10.5%; This Triple Dry-Hopped West Coast Triple Black IPA is an exclusive collaboration between BeerAdvocate, BeerThugLife, and Crowns & Hops; brewed at Indie Brewing Co. in Los Angeles, Calif. for Extreme Beer Fest: Cyberspace (2021).

Carton Brewing Co. (Atlantic Highlands, N.J.)
The World's Turned Upside Down; 12oz can; ABV% TBA; A grilled pineapple and maraschino cherry Barleywine. Brewed and canned for Extreme Beer Fest: Cyberspace (2021).

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, Del.)
Olde School Barleywine; 12oz bottle; 15%; Fermented with dates and figs, this smooth Barleywine has a unique flavor and is a great candidate for aging. Exclusive for the fest, these bottles were pulled from Sam’s Stash and go as far back as 2007. Which vintage will you receive?

Bonus beer from Dogfish Head:

Hazy-O! IPA; 12oz can; 7.1%; Starts with literally truckloads of oats and wheat for a full body, then it’s liberally dry-hopped to deliver juicy tropical notes of citrus, mango and pineapple. This Hazy IPA uses four types of oats including oat milk to amplify the haze and mouthfeel for a beer that is incredibly juicy and hop-forward while being smooth and refreshing. Be one of the first in the nation to try this beer!

Great Notion Brewing (Portland, Ore.)
Double Maple Pusher; 16oz can; 11%; Imperial Stout brewed with a touch of boysenberry and a ridiculous amount of maple syrup.

Japas Cervejaria (São Paulo, Brazil)
Black Miso; 16oz can; 11.5%; Russian Imperial Stout with red miso.

Modist Brewing Co. (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Special Reserve Mallow; 16oz can; 7.2%; Imperial Lager with marshmallows, Madagascar vanilla bean, milk sugar, more marshmallows and aged in our oak foeder.

Mortalis Brewing Co. (Avon, N.Y.)
Special HYDRA; 16oz can; 7%; This fruited sour blends three fruits together to form just one of this monster’s many heads. Keep your eyes peeled for even more flavors striking your palate!

Other Half Brewing Co. (Brooklyn, NY)
Small lACEd in Space; 16oz can; 6.5%; Citra and Galaxy hops are smashed together for the ultimate combo.

Short's Brewing Co. (Bellaire, Mich.)
Super Delicious Stout: Extreme Beer Fest Edition; 12oz bottle; 7.5%; A super delicious Stout aged in Iron Fish Distillery maple bourbon barrels. Brewed and bottled for Extreme Beer Fest: Cyberspace (2021).

The Lost Abbey (San Marcos, Calif.)
Divine Reading; 375ml bottle; 6.5%; Barrel-blended sour with lemon and vanilla; an ode to a lemon meringue pie.
I got a 2011 Olde School.

Other Half was a last minute replacement for Burley Oak due to some complications due to the pandemic. I was looking forward to the fruit sour they promised, but I was pretty impressed with the couple beers I got to try from Other Half in the past so not too upset.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:28 am

Love other half. We have a camp close to NY border and I always make a point to head over and stock up. Seems like NY has been getting 3 floyds lately as well which is a plus

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:33 am

So I learned last night that double nugget nectar is a thing? Has anyone had it?

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:37 am

I follow their social media. Apparently it went fast...it’s completely sold out.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 am

Yep, my buddy tried to get some for me and it sold out while he was in line. Brewery exclusive this year, out in the wild next year

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:13 am

The Double Blizzard is still available. Saw it last week in stores.

faftorial

BEER

Postby faftorial » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:17 pm

I picked up a case of Nugget Nectar for the first time in few years. It's hit the $50 mark.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:25 am

Need to get to the beer store before I forget.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:44 am

I picked up a case of Nugget Nectar for the first time in few years. It's hit the $50 mark.
That's nuts. $40 here and I was complaining how much it went up

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:13 am

Tonight was Night 1 of the Extreme Beerfest Cyberspace. Live feed had Todd from BA and Sam from DFH and they had each of the brewers on for a bit to discuss their beer, their brewery, general BSing, and answering questions.

Tried the Other Half Small lACEd in Space which wasn't originally on the list, but a last minute fill in. Apparently a mix of 2 of their other IPAs, one brewed with Citra, the other w/ Galaxy. This wasn't really extreme, but it was a last minute fill-in that they barely got in time for the shipping. It was however still a tasty hazy ipa... tropical fruit juice.

Also tried the Carton World's Turned Upside Down, which was a take on Pineapple Upside Down cake as a Barleywine. I loved it. The fruit was heavy up front, then gave way to a nice brown sugar finish and a slight alcohol burn in the aftertaste, perhaps a bit less than the average Barleywine I've had.

Started as a barleywine they were aging in peach bourbon barrels for a couple years. Then they grilled some pineapples and cherries, bruleed sugar on them, pureed it, then cooked it down into a syrup. that was added to a fresh batch of barleywine, which they then blended with the aged stuff.

If by chance they ever release this again outside the fest (they made 3k cans for the fest and 150 bottles for local dist), it is worth checking out.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Currently drinking the Mortalis Special HYDRA... raspberry, cherry, mango sour. It is super tasty. A bit thick, kinda smoothie like... I could house a sixer of this, kinda sad I only have the 16oz can.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:33 pm

Modist Special Reserve Mallow. Oak aged "double marshmallow" imperial lager. Tons of vanilla and lactose. It's creamy. Definitely a different experience than your typical lager. While not as much in my wheelhouse as the Hydra, this is still a tasty and interesting brew.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:54 pm

not sure who brews their own stuff in here, but Beer Maverick posted a page with over 100 clone recipes.

https://beermaverick.com/over-100-comme ... hemselves/