BEER

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:27 pm

WE ASKED 14 BREWERS: WHAT BEER TREND NEEDS TO DIE

https://vinepair.com/articles/we-asked- ... paign=site
“Beers with meat. No, I don’t hate meat, I just don’t want to drink it.” — John Falco, head brewer at Lincoln’s Beard Brewing Company.
I had no idea that was a thing.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:48 pm

“Beers with meat. No, I don’t hate meat, I just don’t want to drink it.” — John Falco, head brewer at Lincoln’s Beard Brewing Company.
“Collectors items IPA’s. Beer shouldn’t be taken so seriously and I think people are beginning to tire of the pretentiousness.” — Damian Brown, brewmaster at Bronx Brewery.
- Smart man right there.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:49 pm

at a baby shower yesterday, someone brought in a case of zombie dust from their travels home. It was bottled 2 days ago and was delicious.

Silentom

BEER

Postby Silentom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:53 pm

at a baby shower yesterday, someone brought in a case of zombie dust from their travels home. It was bottled 2 days ago and was delicious.
I sampled that yesterday. Not a fan, but I don't care for IPA's or Pale Ales in general.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm

This one was one of the more "pshhhhh..." ones that I read:
“Beer flights. Beer is meant to be drunk by the pint, not by the shot. There are a lot of flavors and aromas that are lost in small tasting glasses, as well as switching back and forth between tasters wrecks your palate. I also wish people would stop naming sub-genre’s of IPA, particularly with colors. Black IPA, Red IPA. Its India PALE ale. If a beer is black, it isn’t pale.” — Patrick Barnes, head brewer at Islamorada Beer Company.
I like flights at breweries because I'm not going to drink 4 pints of beer at a brewery I've never been to and drive home. I want to sample what you have. My wife and I typically split a flight at a place we've never been to and then each get a pint after that and then head home. The sub-genres of IPA thing is a stupid comment as well. Calling something a Black or Red IPA is giving the customer an idea of what flavors are coming their way. Would he prefer a Black IPA be called a Heavily hopped, ultra-light body stout?

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Would he prefer a Black IPA be called a Heavily hopped, ultra-light body stout?
It would tell me what it is, soooo yes (I guess).

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Source of the post My wife and I typically split a flight at a place we've never been to and then each get a pint after that and then head home.
same!

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm an antiflighter. And would be especially so of I were making beer in the hype-driven/untappd era of beer.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Why antiflight? Is it sampling back and fourth between beers? Typically my wife and I focus on one at a time, and then move to the next after some water and maybe a few nibbles of food.

grunthy

BEER

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Flights are the best. Get to sample several beers while not getting hammered. If you do it right, lightest beer to heaviest, then there isn't anything wrong with them.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm

A few things, but the bottom line is its just not an optimal drinking experience. The amount is generally insufficient to give the beer time to warm and open up. You've got the potential for mixing flavors. The glass is usually less than ideal.

Dancing Gnome eliminated flights a few months ago and got some backlash for it. I have no problem with the brewer of a beer dictating how it should be consumed.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:58 pm

“Collectors items IPA’s. Beer shouldn’t be taken so seriously and I think people are beginning to tire of the pretentiousness.” — Damian Brown, brewmaster at Bronx Brewery.
- Smart man right there.
I'm not trying to be a troll--have you tried good representations of the neipa style?

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Do they at least offer samples before you buy it? I like the way that the brew gentlemen do it. Not necessarily flights, but small pours. I got to sample every single one of their beers while I was there, and from someone that is only in town every so often (and I've only been there that one time), it was much appreciated.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 pm

You can order up to 2 4 oz pours at a time. And I've never seen them refuse samples. Personally, I'd rather try three beers optimally than 6 beers suboptimally.

Lemon Berry Lobster

BEER

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Any time I've asked to sample a beer I have been able to. Never was interested in flights because the price to beer ratio is awful. I'd rather ask for a small sample, usually an ounce and decide to purchase a whole pint.

grunthy

BEER

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:07 pm

A few things, but the bottom line is its just not an optimal drinking experience. The amount is generally insufficient to give the beer time to warm and open up. You've got the potential for mixing flavors. The glass is usually less than ideal.

Dancing Gnome eliminated flights a few months ago and got some backlash for it. I have no problem with the brewer of a beer dictating how it should be consumed.

A flight isn't supposed to be used for an optimal drinking experience. It's to taste new beers and then later you can decide to actually order one of them.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Anti-flight is a thing? To each their own I guess.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:12 pm

I'd rather have 2-3 full beers, but whatever works for other folks.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:13 pm

I prefer the flight and then 2-3 full beers.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 pm

If I'm at a new place, I'll get a flight before ponying up for beer that I'm not 100% sure I'll enjoy.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm not trying to be a troll--have you tried good representations of the neipa style?
I am not an IPA guy, but I was going more with the rest of his comment. However, if everyone stopped making any and all IPAs I would be fine with that.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Anti-flight is a thing? To each their own I guess.
The "this is the wrong glass" pretentiousness never caught on so it is time to move to something related but not quite as sad.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:43 pm

I am not an IPA guy, but I was going more with the rest of his comment. However, if everyone stopped making any and all IPAs I would be fine with that.
I know you're not. I was honestly just curious if you found neipas as undesirable as the more classic west coast ipa.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:50 pm

A flight isn't supposed to be used for an optimal drinking experience. It's to taste new beers and then later you can decide to actually order one of them.
Why would a brewery want you to taste its beers in a suboptimal format? Breweries don't fill clear growlers because it could affect their product. Many breweries don't can/bottle hoppy stuff because it could be consumed well past its prime if it finds a dusty shelf. Some breweries provide glass selection information on their labels. All of these things come from the same place.

I think this same sort of behavior in a restaurant context is widely accepted. I don't think beer should be any different.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

BEER

Postby LITT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:31 am

i thought wine people were bad. yikes.

if you taste wine at a vineyard, you don't get a whole glass.