BEER

Silentom

BEER

Postby Silentom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am

Thirded.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:41 pm

I took one for the team and got the 1933 Budweiser.

It’s pretty much a Maerzen. Not terrible.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Wild Heaven in ATL makes excellent beer and I finally got to try this. Delicious.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:01 am

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:03 am

^^^
Tired Hands Brewing Company – Ardmore, PA
@shafnutz05

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:13 am

very cool. Nice to see Jackie Os on there too. Love that place

shmenguin

BEER

Postby shmenguin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:28 am

I can't fathom paying that much for a beer.
i saw a bottle of this at one of my local places a few weeks ago. i'm pretty loose with money when it comes to this sort of thing, and i am super curious about this beer. but F that. 200 bones is wackadoo.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:44 am

^^^
Tired Hands Brewing Company – Ardmore, PA
@shafnutz05

Nice....I have still been wanting to get down there, just haven't been able. I believe both Kraftster and Canaan have visited.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:24 am

Mega catch up post on the exchange beers I've been drinking, plus a few bonus beers.

O'Hara's Irish Stout - not really my thing, but at least it had more flavor than the Murphy's I had last year

Hell Or High Watermelon - not a watermelon fan, but this wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. still won't drink again.

Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Very intense smoke flavor. Smoked Sausage. the 500mL bottle was way too much for this style. Beer fest serving is probably ideal for this. Didn't mind the flavor in small doses.

Bridge Brew Works Humulus Lupulus - probably the worst beer of the exchange. First it exploded like a fountain when I opened it, losing about half to the counter. Once it settled down, the beer had an ok taste upo front, but a really nasty aftertaste... kind of like what I imagine licking a battery would taste like.

White Pony Teppistenbier - quad from Italy. It was good, but definitely a step down from its Belgian cousins.

Grimm Artisan Ales Sumi Zest - I've had this before. Nice stout w/ vanilla and orange. Their sours are better, but still quality.

Dogfish Head Liquid Truth Serum - Also had before... it's really good. I did a head to head w/ 90 minute this time. They are both hoppy in different ways. I ranked em the same, but right now I think I liked LTS slightly better... but that could be the newness factor. Either way, it's a fantastic beer and I recommend to anyone who likes IPAs. It has a strong hops flavor, but without being overly bitter, and it's smooth af going down.

Kronenbourg 1664 - I was also not looking forward to this. That being said, I didn't hate it. It is just a clean tasting lager.

North Coast Brewing Alt Nouveau - Not much to say. It was solid, not spectacular.

Schneider Weisse Aventinus - My favorite Weizenbock. It's goddamn amazing.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Tripel with a bit of hoppiness. I enjoyed it. They didn't overdo it so it works well.

Outside of the exchange, had a couple other beers...

Petrus Aged Red - I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't sour as I was expecting, but rather more tart, and had a real nice cherry flavor to it.

Petrus 50/50 - This was half Aged Pale Ale and half Aged Red Ale. It was good, but ultimately less than the sum of its parts. I was hoping it would be a more sour version of the Red Ale, but instead the flavors kind of canceled each other out to an extent. Still decent, but I'd rather drink the source beers instead.

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:42 am

imo Christmas is one of the better beer drinking weekends of the year

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm going down to Leaning Cask tonight. Any reviews?

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Last night:

Southern Tier Cinnamon Roll Ale. Definitely a dessert beer, but tastes as advertised. Wasn't obnoxiously sweet.

Gouden Carolus Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw. Was a bit sweet, but a solid Belgian. The 11% made itself well known.

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. I keep trying their beers, and I keep ending up at its fine. I don't hate them, but I dunno. I don't get em either.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:25 pm

ND: Avery The Kaiser imperial Oktoberfest. Basically tastes like a Doppelbock to me, but it's a good one. I don't think they make this anymore, but I'd drink it again for sure.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:30 pm

I'll add on, if this is still considered an Oktoberfest, it's the best I've had of the style.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:32 am

I stopped at the beer store for my customary pre-Christmas run, and they had a 4-pack of 120 Minute there. I've never had it, so naturally had to grab it. It was $31.99, which from what I hear is pretty damn decent for that. I'm guessing I should pull two out for the family at the holidays and age the other two? Is there a preferred way to age it?

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:53 am

Last year, m cousin and I started a tradition of doing a bottle share at the family xmas party. This year was even bigger, both in quantity, and quality. I'll just mention the highlights.

My cousin managed to snag a bottle of CBS, and man am I glad that he did. That was some amazing stuff. I thought the KBS was great, but this was even better. The maple works perfectly with it.

I'd been cellaring a bottle of Ruby du Rhone from Draai Laag for this occasion, and I was excited to finally get to try it. It did not disappoint. Really nice version of a Flanders Red.

Someone else busted out a bottle of the DL Hartwood Acres beer. It smelled and tasted of barnyard. It was pretty darn good. Not a collection of statements I ever thought I would string together, :lol:

Another cousin brought some beers from Other Half in NYC. For the Hazy IPA crowd, this is something to check out for sure. Had 2 beers from them, both were very good, but the star was Mosaic + Motueka. Space Daydream was still very good, but a notch down.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:52 pm

I saw Ten Fiddy Barrel Aged at Whole Foods.
Anyone tried that?

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:56 pm

I saw Ten Fiddy Barrel Aged at Whole Foods.
Anyone tried that?
A friend of mine had a local store who was accidentally selling it for $13 a six pack instead of per can. Over the course of 3 days, he saved roughly $400 by cleaning house! It's very solid.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Yeah, it’s at $12 a can.

meecrofilm

BEER

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. I keep trying their beers, and I keep ending up at its fine. I don't hate them, but I dunno. I don't get em either.
I enjoy Bell's. Two-Hearted is a staple and the Double Cream Stout is delicious. Expedition Stout is great as well.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:29 pm

A pretty quality session beer:

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 am

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 pm

Currently drinking a Bourbon County Brand Barleywine. I'm happy.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:41 pm

The Best New Beers of 2017

Brew Gentlemen is known for its soft, friendly take on the New England IPA, putting out consistently fruity and juicy IPAs one after the other from their home in Braddock, Pennsylvania. The brewery seems to be devoted to the art of perfecting the IPA, constantly tweaking their flagship, General Braddock, to get it as close to perfection as possible. Lou is another example of that constant meddling. They brew the beer year after year for Ales for ALS, and no iteration is ever the same. The 2017 version made waves at our annual blind tasting of double IPAs, earning top spot because of the flawless execution of the New England IPA style. The nose is a bouquet of tropical fruit and, the sip delivers the Brew Gentlemen’s signature creamy mouthfeel, and green, grassy notes as well as the tropical fruit you expect from the style. It topped 175 other double IPAs to earn the top spot this year. But like most truly great beers, this one is fleeting. You can only get it at the brewery on draft, and it’s only brewed occasionally. And considering Brew Gentlemen’s history, Lou is likely to never be the same again.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... -2017.html

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 am

I don't think I could draw much of a line between Lou and the best NEIPAs I've ever had. It was amazing. Fingers crossed they make it again under a different name--it would be a real bummer to never have that beer again.