BEER

UVM2003

BEER

Postby UVM2003 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Anyone a member of any of the Bruery Societies? Thinking about taking the plunge.
I was in hoarders society between 2013-2016. It got prohibitively expensive for beers that were difficult to find drinking partners to share. I think that if you have people to share the imperial stouts and old ales can be fun, otherwise it’s tough to open many of the bottles. Many of their stuff is 15%+ amd the stouts are often 19+. That said, they have finally started using small format bottles for some of their heavier stuff. They had a run of infection issues in 13 and 14 before separating their sour production facility.

Hoarders was $750, give or take, for the year but that also includes 15-20 bottles and some swag (glassware, growlers, etc). Where it gets expensive is shipping. Even if you’re picking up in DC it’s not cheap. After shipping many of the bottles I’d buy were $50 and up; plus thank you beers for my trustee.

If you’re into pastry stout it’s prob worth a plunge into reserve or preservation society. Their sours were never more than lacto bombs. Enamel ripping stuff, really. Tavour has had some bruery stuff recently, which surprised me. I think that lessens the society value.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Seaquench Ale continues to be one of my favorite beers

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:07 am

Anyone a member of any of the Bruery Societies? Thinking about taking the plunge.
I was in hoarders society between 2013-2016. It got prohibitively expensive for beers that were difficult to find drinking partners to share. I think that if you have people to share the imperial stouts and old ales can be fun, otherwise it’s tough to open many of the bottles. Many of their stuff is 15%+ amd the stouts are often 19+. That said, they have finally started using small format bottles for some of their heavier stuff. They had a run of infection issues in 13 and 14 before separating their sour production facility.

Hoarders was $750, give or take, for the year but that also includes 15-20 bottles and some swag (glassware, growlers, etc). Where it gets expensive is shipping. Even if you’re picking up in DC it’s not cheap. After shipping many of the bottles I’d buy were $50 and up; plus thank you beers for my trustee.

If you’re into pastry stout it’s prob worth a plunge into reserve or preservation society. Their sours were never more than lacto bombs. Enamel ripping stuff, really. Tavour has had some bruery stuff recently, which surprised me. I think that lessens the society value.
Do you meat shipping from DC to here, or was there an extra charge to have it shipped to the DC branch?

UVM2003

BEER

Postby UVM2003 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Do you meat shipping from DC to here, or was there an extra charge to have it shipped to the DC branch?
When I was a member they didn’t have the satellite pub in DC, and they only ship within CA. As such, we had a trustee designated in Southern California that would pick up our beer. He then had to ship it from Southern California to western pa in large styrofoam wine shippers. The average cost for a 12 bottle shipper across the country was $45 - quite expensive on top of the beer.

I don’t believe you pay extra to pickup in DC.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 am

When I was a member they didn’t have the satellite pub in DC, and they only ship within CA. As such, we had a trustee designated in Southern California that would pick up our beer. He then had to ship it from Southern California to western pa in large styrofoam wine shippers. The average cost for a 12 bottle shipper across the country was $45 - quite expensive on top of the beer.

I don’t believe you pay extra to pickup in DC.

Yeah, shipping was the reason I stopped doing beer trades a while ago.

tjand72

BEER

Postby tjand72 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Seaquench Ale continues to be one of my favorite beers
I don't care for sours, but I tried it today after reading this yesterday. Very summery. I don't think I'd buy a case, but one or two of these would be great for sitting on the deck.

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Speaking of sours, I had a Platform Blockbuster Night over the weekend. It was tart, but light. Like the above mentioned beer, it would be a very nice summertime beer.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:32 pm

Anyone try southern tier mango crush session sour?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:50 pm

I continue to be impressed with Stoneyard... their Ellsworth was delicious and tonight I’m drinking their ruby red Everyman ipa. It’s their flagship ipa (everyman ipa) but brewed with grapefruit and orange. It’s like a great ipa and a grapefruit f*cked and this was the result. Very good stuff.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:40 am

I foolishly decided to try Flying Dog's Bloody Mary Ale that was in our fridge last night. That was about as disgusting as I thought it would be.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:03 am

Heading to Cleveland next week for a conference. It'll be downtown, which is an area that I never go to when I visit family. Looking to check out either Masthead Brewing or Noble Beast Brewing. I'm leaning toward Masthead only because it's closer to my hotel.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:04 am

I don't like Bloody Marys to begin with so I am dry heaving even thinking about that.

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 am

Heading to Cleveland next week for a conference. It'll be downtown, which is an area that I never go to when I visit family. Looking to check out either Masthead Brewing or Noble Beast Brewing. I'm leaning toward Masthead only because it's closer to my hotel.
a. i'm going to Cleveland next month and staying in that same zone. please report back on any findings

b. I hear the pho place a block or two from masthead is good

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:28 am

I'll let you know. I'm going with one of the guys from the manufacturing floor, and he's as central Pennsylvanian redneck as you can get. I doubt he'll go for pho, but I'll give it a try as I love pho.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:35 am

You can tell him to pho off

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:28 am

Voodoo is opening their 7th location in State College next week. How do they have 7 locations? I like their beer, I'm just surprised to see they are able to open 7 locations. Who is behind that brewery?

https://www.breweriesinpa.com/grand-ope ... e-college/
Grand opening was this weekend. I didn't attend because it was a mad house and there's little to no parking, but the brewery/restaurant next door f*cked up pretty badly. They were towing everyone from their parking lots yesterday. They wanted to set a precedent that you can't park there and go to Voodoo, but they accidentally towed a ton of their own patrons... :lol:

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:37 pm

a. i'm going to Cleveland next month and staying in that same zone. please report back on any findings
Masthead: One of the best pizzas I've ever had and the beer was fantastic. The location is quite large with a lot of seating. On a Tuesday night, it felt a little empty, but I could see it getting packed. The outdoor space is pretty large too, so if it's nice, go here.

Noble beast: Beer was decent from what I tried (preferred the beer at Masthead), and the food they were pumping out looked very impressive. Almost... almost wished that I had half a pizza at Masthead and had enough room for food there. The seating and space is smaller, but it was fun on a Tuesday night with trivia. Very small outdoor space.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Masthead: One of the best pizzas I've ever had
roasted tomatillo salsa, marinated flank steak, roasted red onion, roasted corn and black beans, piquillo pepper, pepperjack cheese, sour cream sauce
provolone, gruyere cheese, corned beef, sauerkraut, house thousand island
fontina cheese, olive oil, mushroom blend (shiitake, maitake, and oyster), black truffle oil, arugula

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 pm

lol... the guy I was with had the first, I had the last. I had a slice of his, and they were both amazeballs.

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:54 pm

I foolishly decided to try Flying Dog's Bloody Mary Ale that was in our fridge last night. That was about as disgusting as I thought it would be.
I love a good Bloody Mary but that sounds disgusting.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Heading to Dancing Gnome tonight. I've only had one or two of their offerings. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:17 pm

I love a good Bloody Mary but that sounds disgusting.

Tomatoes and beer are jus a NO. Also see Mama Mia pizza beer.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Over the nearly five years since Brew Gentlemen opened its doors, we’ve had time to think about what we want our brewery to be when it grows up. Even though we’ve been quiet about the specifics along the way, we’ve been laying the groundwork for the future of Brew Gentlemen.

This has brought us to our next episode: renovating the warehouse behind our location in Braddock to build a full-scale production brewhouse, in which we will be producing and canning our beer at a greatly increased capacity. All operations in our existing brewery and taproom will continue in tandem in their current form.

Part of our expansion’s purpose - more beer, for more people, in a more convenient way - involves providing meaningful experiences when you visit our brewery. To that end, we’re simultaneously in the process of constructing an outdoor space, BG Open Air, in the courtyard next to our warehouse. The grand opening of this summer pop-up will coincide with our fifth anniversary celebration during the week of May 20th - 26th, and it will remain open throughout the warmer months.

Through all of these new developments, we’re proud to be able to double down on investing in Braddock. Many breweries are forced to look elsewhere when they outgrow their original locations, a situation we were fortunate to avoid when the property adjacent to ours became available. We want to be good neighbors, build something special, and continue to reinvest in the historic town that’s become our company’s home.

An expansion of this scale is a monumental undertaking for a brewery of our current size, and those in the industry whom we looked to for advice have unanimously stressed the importance of doing it right the first time. Being deliberate has been a serious test of patience, and we’ve made a number of difficult decisions along the way in the service of our long-term vision. Still, we believe that the course we’ve mapped will provide an ample runway for years to come, allowing us to more fully realize our mission of brewing soft and balanced beers, creating meaningful experiences, and participating in the revitalization of Braddock.
:fist:

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Good. I somehow stumbled onto General Braddock at Pipers Pub last month. What a great beer. Wish it wasn't a surprise any time it's on tap outside of the brewpub.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

BEER

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 am

Great Lakes chill wave is back. You’re welcome.