BEER

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Picked up some Apricot Therapy, Zing Pop, and Grand Blu @ Strange Roots and a growler of Blueberry + 4 pack of event blend from Arsenal.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Finally made it to the new HO1KB in Wexford. Aside from only giving me two tacos (which was nowhere near enough food), excellent place. Had a couple of samples of stuff I haven't had yet, and ABT 12.

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 am

Picked up some Florida Cracker over the weekend. Nice light Belgian white all, with coriander and orange peel. Tasty, but didn't really wow me.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:44 am

Had 2 apricot sours on Saturday.

Grimm Apricot Pop! - This was a bit milder on the sour as is typically the case with this line. As with all beers in this line, if you like the fruit, you'll like the beer.

Strange Roots Apricot Therapy - This was a lot more in your face in terms of the sour and funk, but that is certainly not a bad thing.

I enjoyed both beers for different reasons. The Grimm has a nice balance, while the SR gives you a bit of a punch to the palate.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am

Picked up some Florida Cracker over the weekend. Nice light Belgian white all, with coriander and orange peel. Tasty, but didn't really wow me.
Have you tried Great Lakes Holy Moses? I think it's a nice White Ale. They have a raspberry version of it too that's pretty tasty.

blackjack68

BEER

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 am

I have no authority to speak in this thread as a Coors Light/Miller Lite drinker, but I attended my first Beer Fest on Saturday aboard the Battleship New Jersey featuring beers from regional breweries.

Not surprisingly, not a fan of IPAs, porters and stouts, but had some very good Wit, Pilsners and Ales that I would try again. Probably my favorite for the day was a Black Raz Wheat from Screamin' Hill brewery in Central Jersey. Not sweet but you could taste the berries as an undertone. Good for a warm day. I've had their Habanero Ale before and liked the hint of heat in it, but they weren't offering it on Saturday.

Lemon Berry Lobster

BEER

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:30 am

Had to drink Miller Lite over the weekend at a stag and drag...feels bad man.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:37 pm

The Lancaster Barnstormers stadium has a really nice little craft beer area...you can get a pint for anywhere from $6 to $7.50, which is very reasonable. I tried Funk Brewing Citrus IPA, which was very nice. Apparently they are up in the Lehigh Valley.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Funk has places in Elizabethtown near Harrisburg (I think) and Emmaus (just outside of Allentown).

Their NEIPA is really good. I think I posted about it a month or so ago?

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Funk has places in Elizabethtown near Harrisburg (I think) and Emmaus (just outside of Allentown).

Their NEIPA is really good. I think I posted about it a month or so ago?
I was around Hershey this past weekend and tried the Silent Disco and it was top notch!

Also stopped in at Troegs and I'm glad I made a visit, but it was so crowded that it took 20 minutes to get a beer...

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:19 am

Have you tried Great Lakes Holy Moses? I think it's a nice White Ale. They have a raspberry version of it too that's pretty tasty.
Holy Moses is very good. I thought I'd give Florida Cracker a try because I really like other Cigar City Brewing beers. This one is just ok.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 pm

https://burghbargains.kostizi.com/Microsite/2313

If anybody is interested in doing Pittsburgh Beerfest at Stage AE next week, they are doing Friday VIPs for 30 and Saturday VIP for 36.

I'm kicking it around. It's a night out, but I don't recall them having much different from the previous beerfest when I went last year.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:14 pm

There seem to be a lot more fruit/sour type beers on the list for this one than I recall in the past.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:00 pm

If anyone is in or around Lewistown (I know... I know... why on Earth would anyone be in or around there?!?) stop by Shy Bear Brewing. We made the hike today for lunch, and I was really impressed. They just opened this past winter. Usually new breweries take some time to really get a handle on their brewing system and operation, but based on Today's tasting, they had it figured out. Tried a NEIPA, a saison, and a kriek. The only disappointing one was the kriek only because it wasn't sour enough. The food was good too, but the best part was the atmosphere. It was a great outdoor seating area. I can't wait to go back when a band is playing.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:18 pm

If anyone is in or around Lewistown (I know... I know... why on Earth would anyone be in or around there?!?) stop by Shy Bear Brewing. We made the hike today for lunch, and I was really impressed. They just opened this past winter. Usually new breweries take some time to really get a handle on their brewing system and operation, but based on Today's tasting, they had it figured out. Tried a NEIPA, a saison, and a kriek. The only disappointing one was the kriek only because it wasn't sour enough. The food was good too, but the best part was the atmosphere. It was a great outdoor seating area. I can't wait to go back when a band is playing.
Oh man...we drove through there around 9:30 or 10 :lol: Next time maybe we'll stick around a little longer on Sunday, although it was nice being home by 11:15.

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Was in Vermont last week and had some good beers. I’ve drifted away from the heavier IPAs and DIPAs more to sessions and lighter IPAs. Tried Focal Banger from Alchemist. It was ok, but not great. Best beers I had were from Zero Gravity (Burlington) and Foley Brothers (Brandon). Otter Creek also had a hoppy lager called Ella which was good and is probably more widely available.

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 am

I could have used this information a few weeks ago. ;)

Actually I'm heading up towards Pocono next month and this looks like a good midway stop on a 4.5 hr drive.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Actually I'm heading up towards Pocono next month and this looks like a good midway stop on a 4.5 hr drive.
Where are you coming from that Lewistown is halfway to the Poconos? :lol:

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Where are you coming from that Lewistown is halfway to the Poconos? :lol:
Johnstown. Picking up friends for Warrior Dash in late August.

If I detour through Lewistown, it's 2h 15m to Johnstown and 2.5h from Lewistown to Poconos. But if I straightshot from Poconos to Johnstown, it's only 3.5 hours. I don't mind the extra hour if there's a reason to detour.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:27 pm

If I detour through Lewistown, it's 2h 15m to Johnstown and 2.5h from Lewistown to Poconos. But if I straightshot from Poconos to Johnstown, it's only 3.5 hours. I don't mind the extra hour if there's a reason to detour.
Gotcha. 522 actually isn't a bad drive at all. Plus you'll have a chance to drive by my old stomping grounds at Juniata College :)

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:59 am

Anyone planning to go to Beerfest today, or if you know anyone who is going, they have become purse Nazis.

They have this tiny index card that they hold up to purses and anything that is bigger isn't allowed in the door.

Caused all kinds of drama at the door.

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Decided to go to Beerfest. They still had VIPs as of a few hours ago, which is kind of odd considering they said they cut back on tickets by 15%.

Anything I should look for?

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:41 pm

Best things I had were probably:

The Hop Concept Dank & Sticky
Arsenal Sour Cherry cider
Long Trail Barrel Aged Unearthed

Lots of summer beers/sours out there.

Deschutes had a Black Raspberry sour

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Sours appear to be this year's thing. some of them are being brewed by people that I don't think ever tasted a sour before

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:31 pm

Sours appear to be this year's thing. some of them are being brewed by people that I don't think ever tasted a sour before
Have to agree.

Also some breweries are trying REALLY hard to force lagers to be a thing... it's not working. For me at least.