BEER

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:26 am

Companion to the restaurant reccos, here is my list of SF area breweries/taprooms

City:
- Fort Point Beer Company
- Anchor Brewing (obvi)

Not City:
- Armstrong Brewery (South San Francisco)
- Steelhead (Burlingame)
- Russian River Brewing Co (Santa Rosa, always a line so go early)
- Bear Republic Brewing Co (Healdsburg)

Places I've Never Been, But Have Had The Beer Out And About:
- Cooperage (Santa Rosa, probably the best IPA I've had)
- Drake's Brewery (San Leandro)
- Lagunitas (Petaluma)
- Trumer Brauerei (Berkeley)
- Speakeasy Ales & Lagers (City)
Cellarmaker

tifosi77

BEER

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am

We never went there, unfortunately. But if you go to Google Street View and check out their taproom, there's like a 75-person line waiting to get in.

genoscoif

BEER

Postby genoscoif » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:02 am

I'd never tried the Fat Heads Goggle Fogger hefe until about 2 weeks ago. Found it on tap at a local establishment. It's really good IMO...and has provided a nice contrast to my normal IPA and Porter/Stout winter habit. Style-wise it's very much in the Weihenstephaner banana forward mold. Me likes.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Trying my first offering from Maine Beer Company, their pale ale. This is fantastic, even for an overly saturated style. 5.5% but a really nice, full but smooth flavor. Pleasant surprise.

Lemon Berry Lobster

BEER

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:34 am

Picked up a case of Sierra Nevada Resilience on Friday. Pretty decent IPA. Also the proceeds go to helping with the Camp Fire recovery.
When the Camp Fire started in the hills above our Chico brewery on November 8, 2018, it soon became the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in California history. The fire burned more than 153,000 acres, killed at least 85 people, and destroyed more than 13,000 homes. Many of our employees and community members were severely impacted by this tragic event.

In the days following the fire, we announced plans to brew Resilience Butte County Proud IPA, a fundraiser beer for Camp Fire relief. We committed to brewing the beer and donating 100% of the sales to the Sierra Nevada Camp Fire Relief Fund, aimed at long-term community rebuilding support. And we asked every brewery in the country to do it with us.

We sent out the “bat signal” calling our friends in the industry, asking our suppliers to donate ingredients, asking other breweries (our competitors) to donate their time and labor costs, and asking our wholesalers and retailers to carry the beer for free. It was a big ask, and we never could have anticipated the response.

More than 1,400 breweries signed up to brew Resilience. Our suppliers donated ingredients to every brewery nationwide. Wholesalers and retailers agreed to carry the beer and donate every dollar they received.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:11 am

anybody doing the beerfest this weekend? Was gonna go if there was a discounted code, but it looks like a lot of it is similar to what was carried last summer.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:38 am

Yeah, going to the Friday session. I actually thought the beer list was quite different than the past few times. There are some retreads of course, but I saw a lot of new stuff I haven't seen before.

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:42 am

I looked at the brewers and not so much the beers when I posted. I skimmed it and saw Fathead, New Belgium Voodoo Ranger, Guinness, 21st Amendment, and Abita and figured it was a lot of the same old, same old. But once you get further down the list, there is definitely some stuff that I haven't seen before.

Ok, you talked me into it. I'll probably be doing Friday too. Can't roll into curling Saturday night after three hours of drinking.

Lemon Berry Lobster

BEER

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:49 am

You're going to go to curling sober? That seems against the heart of the sport...

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 am

I'm not good enough to curl after going foot to the floor for several hours, not yet anyways. I tried it one weekend and I literally threw the same shot each time.

Every shot was down the center line, give or take an inch, but didn't curl at all because it was too heavy. Several nice takeouts were made, but I'll be the first to admit they were not intentional. When there weren't other stones in play, I sent it straight through each time. They'd try to adjust me, and I'd send it right down the middle.

Maybe one day I will be good enough to curl and drink, just not in early 2019.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Trying my first offering from Maine Beer Company, their pale ale. This is fantastic, even for an overly saturated style. 5.5% but a really nice, full but smooth flavor. Pleasant surprise.
MBC kills classic IPAs. Lunch, especially fresh, is a fantastic beer. Had Woods and Waters recently and was pretty impressed with that one too. I don't seek out Lunch with so much fresh Head Hunter available around here, but it's an equally great IPA.

Tomas

BEER

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I don't know how far the Fossil Cove Brewing Co. market goes, but if you ever have a chance to drink La Brea Brown, go for it. So far the best brown I have ever tasted, IMO (better than Bell's Best Brown :) )

https://www.fossilcovebrewing.com/our-beers

shmenguin

BEER

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:44 pm

I’m pretty much switched from drinking beer to drinking Negroni’s full stop. But my local place has basically unlimited bottles of Founders CBS. That’s one of the best beers I’ve ever had.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Got my hands on a can of Heady Topper. Can't wait to try it.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:47 pm

I’m pretty much switched from drinking beer to drinking Negroni’s full stop. But my local place has basically unlimited bottles of Founders CBS. That’s one of the best beers I’ve ever had.
Hmm... Haven't had this one.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:33 am

Got my hands on a can of Heady Topper. Can't wait to try it.
Is Heady Topper still a hot item to get in the beer world? Just curious, because while it's a great beer, I feel like the market is flooded with great beers all easier to get than that.

I had a Grimm Artisanal Ales Magnetic Compass last weekend and that is a brewery to watch for if you ever see anything in PA.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:44 am

They only sell it in Vermont as far as I'm still aware. Someone brought back a couple and gave them away.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:51 am

They only sell it in Vermont as far as I'm still aware. Someone brought back a couple and gave them away.
:thumb: Enjoy!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 am

It's a fantastic beer... but like you said, Eddy, there are plenty of breweries doing something similar (and even better) that you can get your hands on more readily. That said, if I'm ever in that area, I'm definitely stopping in to grab some heady topper.

shmenguin

BEER

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:31 am

I feel like those guys are gonna kill themselves in 10 years when the craft beer craze is offset by increased cannabis use, and meanwhile they decided to protect their recipe instead of living on a Mediterranean beach for the rest of their lives.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Heady Topper is definitely worth experiencing once, but not worth killing yourself over or anything.

Also I would echo @eddysnake and say that Grimm is worth checking out. I've never had a bad beer from them. They do a lot of good sours and stouts... Haven't tried any of their ipas, but had a couple hopped sours that were fantastic... The Mosaic Pop! certainly comes to mind there.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:40 pm

Heady Topper is definitely worth experiencing once, but not worth killing yourself over or anything.
Agreed. When I finally had a chance to try it, I really liked it, but it wasn't appreciably better than, say, DirtWolf.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

BEER

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:54 pm

I really like the Sam Adams Cold Snap that comes in their winter variety 12 pack.

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 pm

Agreed. When I finally had a chance to try it, I really liked it, but it wasn't appreciably better than, say, DirtWolf.
Wut?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:17 am

Yeah, not a good comparison IMO. Very different beers. It's like saying, yeah, fresh caught lobster is good and all, but it's not appreciably better than say, a ribeye steak.