BEER

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Yet another item checked off the bucket list tonight... Heady Topper.

That was really enjoyable. Not necessarily my favorite ipa, but it was tasty and pretty smooth despite the heavy hop flavor.

I also got to try Focal Banger and Crusher. I liked those as well, though certainly HT was the star.

Had a couple St. Sebastiaan ales, Golden and Dark. Both were pretty good.

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:57 am

Imo heady topper is tasty and I’ll drink it if it is available (and it obviously not always available). But the nice thing about it is that it is generally regarded as a gr8 ipa, and if you like it but not love it, then it can confirm that ipas are not your jam.

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 pm

My tastes have changed to the point where I like Heady, but don’t love it. Heavy ipas and dipas are just too much for me now and I prefer lighter.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am

Re Alchemist stuff, I think I might prefer Focal to Heady.

Re lagers, I'm definitely into some of the really good ones being brewed (ex, Brew Gentlemen locally). But the style is not easy, and I imagine there are plenty of poor examples out there.

I am not a big fan of the kettle sours a lot of the hype breweries are doing (ex, Dancing Gnome locally). Nor have I been impressed with the few sour (hazy) IPAs I've tried. It is very interesting to see the near perfect alignment between opinions on these styles coinciding with how long one has been into craft beer. I don't necessarily mean that judgmentally towards new-to-craft people. I just think their palates have been set by beer that is vastly different from the palate-setting experience anyone into craft beer for more than three years would have had. Though I do think hype factors in more for the newest generation.

On a somewhat related note, I picked up a 6-pack of 4 day-old Headhunter this weekend. Easily one of the best classic WC IPAs in production. Fresh off the line, it's really hard to imagine a much better buy off the shelf at your local distributor/retailer.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:11 am

Drove by Fat Head's new location a few times while I was in Cleveland. The place is massive. They open up in August at some point. I plan to visit in December when I'm in town for Christmas.

Went to Platform Beer Co. last week and they didn't disappoint once again. Their saisons are on point. Also got one of their "Milkshake" IPAs. It had the body of a thick heavy stout, but the appearance and taste of a NEIPA. It was pretty darn tasty, especially once it warmed a bit after being poured.

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 pm

My dog is deathly afraid of thunderstorms, so while i try to force her outside tonight so she can take a piss and be a normal dog, i’m gonna bring an effing colors banquet and drink it while i stand there looking at her looking at the sky. Should be a good time.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Sours appear to be this year's thing. some of them are being brewed by people that I don't think ever tasted a sour before
Have to agree.

Also some breweries are trying REALLY hard to force lagers to be a thing... it's not working. For me at least.
Yeah, they started doing that last year. You really can't reinvent the wheel on this style. It is what it is, a basic beer.

I think since they've started pushing these, I've had maybe one or two. If I didn't have untappd, I'm sure that total would be one or two less.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Going to be in Houston for a few days next month... Anyone have any suggestions for breweries to check out?

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:05 am

Sours appear to be this year's thing. some of them are being brewed by people that I don't think ever tasted a sour before
Have to agree.

Also some breweries are trying REALLY hard to force lagers to be a thing... it's not working. For me at least.
Yeah, they started doing that last year. You really can't reinvent the wheel on this style. It is what it is, a basic beer.

I think since they've started pushing these, I've had maybe one or two. If I didn't have untappd, I'm sure that total would be one or two less.
Entirely possible that I'm a victim of hype on this, but I'm certain I would have said this two years ago, and I have to say the lagers I've had from Hill Farmstead and Suarez have caused me to flip completely to the other side.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:09 am

Going to be in Houston for a few days next month... Anyone have any suggestions for breweries to check out?
When I was there a few times 2-3 years ago, there wasn't a great brewery scene in/around the city. Almost certainly not the case anymore, but I will say, as far as bars go, the Flying Saucer downtown has a monster draft/bottle list and is worth checking out. I think at least two times I was there they had BFM's √225 Saison on draft.

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:31 am

Entirely possible that I'm a victim of hype on this, but I'm certain I would have said this two years ago, and I have to say the lagers I've had from Hill Farmstead and Suarez have caused me to flip completely to the other side.
I tried getting into it, but it did nothing for me. Maybe I was expecting more or at very least a cleaner version of the mass-produced lagers.

I'm not totally opposed to trying another one if I were to end up at a brewery, but I'm not gonna go chasing one down either.

Shyster

BEER

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Nothing wrong with a nice crisp lager under appropriate circumstances. They're crisp and thirst-quenching in hot weather and go with a lot of bar food. Is there as much room to experiment and innovate as there is with ales? No. But there is a reason pale lager is the best-selling type of beer in the world.

slappybrown

BEER

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Imo rolling Rock should exclusively be consumed at 85 degrees or more while doing yard work/construction/outdoor labor of some kind and it's GD delicious in that context

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 am

Southern Tier and Victory opened a brewery in Charlotte recently. Great place with 32 taps split between the two. Nice addition to an already nice craft beer area.

genoscoif

BEER

Postby genoscoif » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Imo rolling Rock should exclusively be consumed at 85 degrees or more while doing yard work/construction/outdoor labor of some kind and it's GD delicious in that context
Hmmm... How do you heat the beer to 85 degrees? Hotplate?

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Hmmm... How do you heat the beer to 85 degrees? Hotplate?
let that thing sit in the yard for several weeks in July. Should be able to reach 85 with no problem.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:35 am

Tried a few things last night...

B. Nektar Death Unicorn (black current cider)
B. Nektar Tuco-Style Freakout (agave + lime mead)

These were both refreshing and great for a summer night.

Almanac Peach Galaxy (dry hopped sour farmhouse barrel aged with peaches)

Delicious. The dry hopping somewhat dominated the peach, but it was lurking in the background. Very enjoyable overall.

Dragon's Milk Reserve Cherry Chocolate.

Liked this a lot. Was still smooth but the added flavors worked great for me.

Flying Monkeys The Chocolate Manifesto (tripld chocolate stout)

This was my least favorite of the night, but still pretty solid. Despite the name, it is not overly sweet.

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Anyone going to the Corks and Kegs Festival at the Meadows on August 25/26th? I checked out the website, nice little selection of breweries. They will have a few wineries there as well.

http://corksandkegsfestival.com/

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:16 pm

I saw this and wanted to go. Looks like there's a number of breweries that I haven't tried yet. I think that's the weekend I'm travelling to Pocono though.

robbiestoupe

BEER

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:07 pm

We had a beer tasting competition a few weekends back - one night with light colored beers and one night with dark beers. I wasn't a big fan of the light beers, as most of them consisted of IPAs of which I am not a huge fan. The top two were from Omnipollo - Nebuchadnezzar and Lustro.

The dark beers had some interesting entries. The winner was Even More Jesus from Evil Twin brewing. It was an imperial stout aged in red wine barrels. It had a subtle smoky flavor as well. It was by far my highest rated beer. Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout wasn't anything great but still highly flavorful. My second favorite beer of the two contests was New Belgium's La Folie. It's a wood aged, sour brown ale. Sours are really starting to grow on me.

Somebody brought both their light and dark entries from Happy Valley brewing. Both were very underwhelming. Perhaps the Nitters need to get back to their farming roots and grow better hops.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 am

Anyone going to the Corks and Kegs Festival at the Meadows on August 25/26th? I checked out the website, nice little selection of breweries. They will have a few wineries there as well.

$2 per beer sample in a 3oz cup. :face:

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:05 am

$2 per beer sample in a 3oz cup. :face:
Seriously? Oh hell no.

EDIT. Checking the website. 5 samples for $10, or $2 per. This was last year's pricing. May be more this year. The more I think about it, I won't be drinking unlimited amounts of beer. I just want to sample the breweries I never tried before.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:34 am

The nice thing about fest is trying things and not worrying about if you don't like them. You can go to most craft places and get small samples (<5oz) for $2-$3. The "unlimited" part of it is not so that I can drink gallons and gallons at one low price... it's so that i feel open to try anything and everything and dump what I do not like without "penalty"

It's like having a buffet but everything is a la carte.

It's the principle of the thing.

llipgh2

BEER

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:58 am

The nice thing about fest is trying things and not worrying about if you don't like them. You can go to most craft places and get small samples (<5oz) for $2-$3. The "unlimited" part of it is not so that I can drink gallons and gallons at one low price... it's so that i feel open to try anything and everything and dump what I do not like without "penalty"

I was commenting more from my viewpoint. Because there are (not you) people who go to these things just to get hammered for a blanket price.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:25 am

I was commenting more from my viewpoint. Because there are (not you) people who go to these things just to get hammered for a blanket price.

I try not to think about the people at the ends of the bell curve very much. It just hurts my head.