BEER

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Source of the post Trying Troeg's First Cut Mango IPA. Good, not great.
Source of the post I recall having a pint of that last year and was very underwhelmed with it. I'll drink it, but I'm not buying it again.
That was my reaction when I had it last year, but I liked it better this year for whatever reason... had it at a beerfest both times though, so haven't technically paid for it directly.

Tomas

BEER

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:50 am

I know there were more Slovaks than Czechs who moved to Pittsburgh, but are any of the boutique breweries there even taking a stab at Czech pilsners?

Related: Czech beer is some of the finest in the world and it’s annoyingly barely available in the US.

A buddy of mine is a Czech Pilsner fan. If you get any recommendations let me know.
I might have mentioned my personal "meh" attitude toward Pilsner beer (good thirst quencher, but otherwise a rather ordinary taste), but it seems to me that a lot of American breweries have Czech Pilsners in their portfolio, as evidenced by:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/40/

Personally, I tend to rotate Pilsner Urquell (super cheap at Sam's), Lagunitas Pils, and Behemoth by Core Brewery (out of NW Arkansas). Of those three, Behemoth is the best, IMO (though I think one of the factors may be that it doesn't require major logistic operation to get from the brewery to my table :) ).

I an not sure how far Core reaches, but Lagunitas should be available everywhere.

Besides Czech-style beer, Core Brewery recently got into a very Czech-style selling of beer. Namely, they now set up their own network of pubs that sell Core beer and nothing else. (The majority of Czech pubs have contact with just one or two breweries. Experts claim that this dual mutual monitoring is behind the high quality of many Czech beers).

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am

I know there were more Slovaks than Czechs who moved to Pittsburgh, but are any of the boutique breweries there even taking a stab at Czech pilsners?

Related: Czech beer is some of the finest in the world and it’s annoyingly barely available in the US.

A buddy of mine is a Czech Pilsner fan. If you get any recommendations let me know.
Brew Gentlemen is releasing a Czech pils soon (sounds like next week), and it will be on cask at Piper's Thursday. If your buddy tries really hard, he might be able to get in and out with a growler without seeing or smelling any hops.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:22 am

Brew Gentlemen is releasing a Czech pils soon (sounds like next week), and it will be on cask at Piper's Thursday. If your buddy tries really hard, he might be able to get in and out with a growler without seeing or smelling any hops.
Levity Brewing in indiana has one called spel czech or something like that. It's not bad. Regarding Brew Gents, I really liked their BG Pils last year. Made for some nice day drinking. Albatross release this weekend. I'm pretty excited.

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am

honestly I wish bg made more non-hop centric beers

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 am

I can probably just google it, but what's the difference between a Czech Pilsner and a German Pilsner? And for that matter, what's the difference between a Pislner and a Helles?

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Levity Brewing in indiana has one called spel czech or something like that. It's not bad. Regarding Brew Gents, I really liked their BG Pils last year. Made for some nice day drinking. Albatross release this weekend. I'm pretty excited.
Yeah, I liked the Pils. The Helles was even better, I thought.
Always pumped for Albatross. Galaxy bomb. I'm pretty hectic until I get back from my Belgium trip in early May, but let me know when you head down to BG, would like to have a (two-thirds) pint with you!

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Yeah, I liked the Pils. The Helles was even better, I thought.
Always pumped for Albatross. Galaxy bomb. I'm pretty hectic until I get back from my Belgium trip in early May, but let me know when you head down to BG, would like to have a (two-thirds) pint with you!
Will do. planning on stopping in Friday just to grab growlers on way down to inlaws, but hoping to make a saturday afternoon visit next week with my brother and enjoy some there. I'll keep you updated.

Troy Loney

BEER

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:37 pm

The "pilsner" that Voodoo makes is not a pilsner.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Victory Prima Pils is excellent (although a German Pils). There seems to be a lot of great German Pils out there, but don't here much about Czech...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Victory Prima Pils is excellent (although a German Pils). There seems to be a lot of great German Pils out there, but don't here much about Czech...
I can probably just google it, but what's the difference between a Czech Pilsner and a German Pilsner? And for that matter, what's the difference between a Pislner and a Helles?

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:47 pm

best I can say is that Czechs are more malty while German are overall lighter (paler)

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 pm

2A. German Pilsner (Pils)
Aroma: Typically features a light grainy Pils malt character (sometimes Graham cracker-like) and distinctive flowery or spicy noble hops. Clean, no fruity esters, no diacetyl. May have an initial sulfury aroma (from water and/or yeast) and a low background note of DMS (from Pils malt).

Appearance: Straw to light gold, brilliant to very clear, with a creamy, long-lasting white head.

Flavor: Crisp and bitter, with a dry to medium-dry finish. Moderate to moderately-low yet well attenuated maltiness, although some grainy flavors and slight Pils malt sweetness are acceptable. Hop bitterness dominates taste and continues through the finish and lingers into the aftertaste. Hop flavor can range from low to high but should only be derived from German noble hops. Clean, no fruity esters, no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body, medium to high carbonation.

Overall Impression: Crisp, clean, refreshing beer that prominently features noble German hop bitterness accentuated by sulfates in the water.

Comments: Drier and crisper than a Bohemian Pilsener with a bitterness that tends to linger more in the aftertaste due to higher attenuation and higher-sulfate water. Lighter in body and color, and with higher carbonation than a Bohemian Pilsener. Modern examples of German Pilsners tend to become paler in color, drier in finish, and more bitter as you move from South to North in Germany.

History: A copy of Bohemian Pilsener adapted to brewing conditions in Germany.

Ingredients: Pilsner malt, German hop varieties (especially noble varieties such as Hallertauer, Tettnanger and Spalt for taste and aroma), medium sulfate water, German lager yeast.
2B. Bohemian Pilsener
Aroma: Rich with complex malt and a spicy, floral Saaz hop bouquet. Some pleasant, restrained diacetyl is acceptable, but need not be present. Otherwise clean, with no fruity esters.

Appearance: Very pale gold to deep burnished gold, brilliant to very clear, with a dense, long-lasting, creamy white head.

Flavor: Rich, complex maltiness combined with a pronounced yet soft and rounded bitterness and spicy flavor from Saaz hops. Some diacetyl is acceptable, but need not be present. Bitterness is prominent but never harsh, and does not linger. The aftertaste is balanced between malt and hops. Clean, no fruity esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied (although diacetyl, if present, may make it seem medium-full), medium carbonation.

Overall Impression: Crisp, complex and well-rounded yet refreshing.

Comments: Uses Moravian malted barley and a decoction mash for rich, malt character. Saaz hops and low sulfate, low carbonate water provide a distinctively soft, rounded hop profile. Traditional yeast sometimes can provide a background diacetyl note. Dextrins provide additional body, and diacetyl enhances the perception of a fuller palate.

History: First brewed in 1842, this style was the original clear, light-colored beer.

Ingredients: Soft water with low mineral content, Saaz hops, Moravian malted barley, Czech lager yeast.
https://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style02.php

Shyster

BEER

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah, I was under the impression that the Czech pilsners were less malty than the German pilsners. Also, I think the Czech pilsners are supposed to have a higher level of carbonation. I think if one is honest, while there are differences between Czech pilsners, German pilsners, Helles, Dortnumder Export, etc., they are pretty slight. I also think a lot of the antipathy toward pilsners that might come from craft-beer drinkers and brewers comes from the unfortunate tendency of the manufacturers of mass-produced adjunct lagers to want to call their beers pilsners, which IMO is akin to trying to call something like a Honda Fit a "luxury car."

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Finally stopped off at the tap room of latest brewery in town. They have about 10 beers and I sampled a few. Great stuff. Decided to get some to-go cans and they only had a dry hopped pilsner...score.

Name is Two Tides. I'm mainly mentioning it, as I'm pretty sure they will blossom and I want a record of my first impression.

Tomas

BEER

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:47 pm

Yeah, I was under the impression that the Czech pilsners were less malty than the German pilsners. Also, I think the Czech pilsners are supposed to have a higher level of carbonation. I think if one is honest, while there are differences between Czech pilsners, German pilsners, Helles, Dortnumder Export, etc., they are pretty slight. I also think a lot of the antipathy toward pilsners that might come from craft-beer drinkers and brewers comes from the unfortunate tendency of the manufacturers of mass-produced adjunct lagers to want to call their beers pilsners, which IMO is akin to trying to call something like a Honda Fit a "luxury car."
Based on BeerAdvocate the malt and carbonation claims is exactly the opposite:
German pilsners are grainy grassy and lighter in color than Czech Pilsners. German are crisp a little bitter and have more carbonation and a lighter mouthfeel. Czech pilsners are earthy, herbal and spicy with more pepper. More malt presence so a bit darker and less bitter. The water is different such that the harder water in the German style gives more carbonation and the softer water in the Czech style gives less carbonation.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/ ... er.137606/

Most importantly, there is no German Pilsen, so that should settle it... :lol:

Shyster

BEER

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Most importantly, there is no German Pilsen, so that should settle it... :lol:
I stand corrected on the characteristics.

To go into nerdy "ackchyually" territory, when pilsner was created in the mid 1800s, I believe the Kingdom of Bohemia was a component of the Austrian Empire, which itself was a component of the German Confederation (1815–1866), so it was technically German at the time of creation. :P

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Only if you are a statist...

Shyster

BEER

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:13 pm

Only if you are a statist...
:lol:

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:23 am

beer traders sending in to PA take notice. Looks like PA may be starting to follow up on their draconian beer laws...

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:38 pm

??????

Silentom

BEER

Postby Silentom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:39 pm

I see a big minus sign.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm

It's like a British no entry sign. Trump putting tariffs on Guinness?

Silentom

BEER

Postby Silentom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:50 pm

@Guinness ?

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm

??????
The PALCB got to him.