BEER

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 am

Trick or Treating was great last night. Santas LIttle Helper, Death by Coconut, Xocaveza, Claremont Grapefuit DIPA and Cream Ale all helped in making me forgot about the cold. My neighbor gave me a Lagunitas High West-ified Imperial COffee Stout in the adult treat bag. I can't wait to try it.
I'm moving to your neighborhood. High West is awesome.

I ran out to Whole Foods last night to try Cascade's Vlad the Imp Aler (wild ale aged in bourbon barrels), which I've wanted to try for a while now. Awesome. Kind of surprised how much I loved it. Probably the best bourbon integration in a sour I've ever had.
I've been unsuccessful in getting the High Westified here. I've called so many different distributors around here that the main distributor is getting pissed because he knows same person is calling asking for it! My friend from Seattle bought 5 cases of it ($40 a case which is amazing for something like that and why I love Lagunitas) and mailed some back to his mom for us. That Vlad does sound good!

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:00 pm

I had a stout from church brew works last night and it probably the best beer ive had from church brew works. but that isn't saying a whole lot.

A glass of water could qualify as the best beer from Church...

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Trick or Treating was great last night. Santas LIttle Helper, Death by Coconut, Xocaveza, Claremont Grapefuit DIPA and Cream Ale all helped in making me forgot about the cold. My neighbor gave me a Lagunitas High West-ified Imperial COffee Stout in the adult treat bag. I can't wait to try it.

I ran out to Whole Foods last night to try Cascade's Vlad the Imp Aler (wild ale aged in bourbon barrels), which I've wanted to try for a while now. Awesome. Kind of surprised how much I loved it. Probably the best bourbon integration in a sour I've ever had.
I've been unsuccessful in getting the High Westified here. I've called so many different distributors around here that the main distributor is getting pissed because he knows same person is calling asking for it! My friend from Seattle bought 5 cases of it ($40 a case which is amazing for something like that and why I love Lagunitas) and mailed some back to his mom for us. That Vlad does sound good!

They don't make High West-ified anymore.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:10 pm

They don't make High West-ified anymore.
Then they are still releasing the 2017 version because I have a friend in Seattle and Phoenix and they both had releases within the last couple of weeks.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:14 pm

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Oatmeal stouts are the same boat as most porters. Close, but no cigar in the grant taste of things. However, if I am eating, I prefer a porter or mild stout with the food. A good solid flavor profile Imp Stout if just drinking.
In terms of depth, I agree with this. Oatmeal stouts and porters are fairly even. However, a lot of porters I’ve had tend to lack the smoothness of a good stout. Some just get boozy, and not in a good way at all.

I do not think that I have ever had a boozy porter, even a Baltic. (Not including barrel aged)
Boozy isn’t the exact word I was looking for, but can’t really describe it. Burnt maybe? Otter creek used to have a beer called Stovepipe porter that exemplified it for me.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Then they are still releasing the 2017 version because I have a friend in Seattle and Phoenix and they both had releases within the last couple of weeks.

I don't know. I had thought that they made something else replacing it, but I just looked at their website and it said it ended in Jan 2017.

It's not really a one-hitter if you do it more than once...

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:20 pm

I don't know. I had thought that they made something else replacing it, but I just looked at their website and it said it ended in Jan 2017.

there's definitely a 2016 and 2017 version. Here's hoping it continues and get distribution in PA

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Oatmeal stouts are the same boat as most porters. Close, but no cigar in the grant taste of things. However, if I am eating, I prefer a porter or mild stout with the food. A good solid flavor profile Imp Stout if just drinking.
In terms of depth, I agree with this. Oatmeal stouts and porters are fairly even. However, a lot of porters I’ve had tend to lack the smoothness of a good stout. Some just get boozy, and not in a good way at all.

I do not think that I have ever had a boozy porter, even a Baltic. (Not including barrel aged)
Boozy isn’t the exact word I was looking for, but can’t really describe it. Burnt maybe? Otter creek used to have a beer called Stovepipe porter that exemplified it for me.

I usually think of porters as sweeter than (non-milk) stouts. However, I would say that you are more likely to see a smoked porter rather than a smoked stout.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:22 pm

there's definitely a 2016 and 2017 version. Here's hoping it continues and get distribution in PA

It's a one-off... but we made it 7 different times...

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Certain porters, I'd agree that they're sweeter.

There are some that are definitely more on the dark chocolate/coffee bitter side though.

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Back to Bell's:

If you are into Czech pilsners (my current fave), check it out:

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 am

I'm not an IPA dude, but do kind of like the Dogfish 90 minute. Extrapolating, would I like the 120?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:44 am

No, no you would not. 120 sucks imo.

If I were to put the three on a scale of 1-10

60: 7
90: 8.5
120: 4

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:46 am

Danke!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:50 am

btw, 7 is a little harsh on the 60 minute. It's a great beer for what it is, but that style has been passed over in my tastes for fruitier/citrusy IPAs.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:03 am

Had a Grimm Sugarmaker last night for International Stout Day. The Maple and Vanilla made it fairly easy to drink, and were not overdone to my tastes. I've yet to be disappointed by these guys.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:04 am

60 minute is a nice solid IPA, and likely one I would recommend as a gateway... But I've had so many IPAs at this point that it simply is not special anymore and I probably underrate it as a result as well.

Lemon Berry Lobster

BEER

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 am

Two-hearted is the go to IPA

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:10 am

If you like booze bombs, then you would like 120 minute, columbia.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Any of yinz familiar with St. Boniface Brewing Company in Ephrata? My wife stopped there with my mom today and said that they had some awesome beers on tap. She's bringing home their 3 LB IPA.

robbiestoupe

BEER

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm not an IPA guy either, and I enjoyed the DFH 120 way more than the 90 or the 60.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm not an IPA guy either, and I enjoyed the DFH 120 way more than the 90 or the 60.

Makes sense. Anyone who is an IPA fan probably likes 90 most, then 60, then 120.

120 isn’t really an IPA in my mind.

tifosi77

BEER

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Tried Lagunitas Maximus for the first time last night. Their marketing claims hop flavor so strong "it threatens to remove the enamel from one's teeth". I did not find this to be the case, and would classify the 8.2% ABV ale in the "you really shouldn't make this beer available at cookouts" category, because it's easy drinking, and would be really easy to get really loaded really fast with this beer.

Pavement

BEER

Postby Pavement » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Discovered Founders Brewery tonight. Really enjoying the Centennial and Mosaic Promise was good too.