BEER

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:48 pm

I think Gen. Braddock's IPA from Brew Gentleman is a quintessential "juicy" IPA that you could sample locally... but I don't think you're in Pittsburgh, so nevermind.
I am in Pittsburgh... not sure who you thought I was there lol.

Admittedly, that is one I have not had within the last 2 years.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:08 pm

I think I might have confused you with weenie as I thought you were in NC. But yeah... brew gentlemen does juicy without overpowering hop bitterness quite well.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:16 pm

I think way too many breweries are trying to hop (lol, hop...) onto the juicy bandwagon and just not delivering.
What have you had you didn't like in the juicy category?

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 pm

The only thing I've had in recent memory that I would call "juicy" was the blood orange cider I had in Cincy last year. And before that, Fresh Squeezed IPA.

Ever other hop bomb that is called "juicy" just gets overpowered by hops.
Yeah, juicy isn't juicy until you've had a neipa. BG or DG will get the job done for you big time on that front.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:33 pm

I think way too many breweries are trying to hop (lol, hop...) onto the juicy bandwagon and just not delivering.
What have you had you didn't like in the juicy category?
A couple recent ones that were honestly great IPAs, but didn't quite hit the "juicy" level that they were described as were Victory Hop Ranch and Free Will's Cloudy with a chance of charcuterie. I enjoyed them both, but they didn't have the mouth-feel and had more bitterness than I'd expect to be listed as "juicy". Especially after trying BG's stuff and LIC Beer Project's Party Crasher IPA that I sampled a little while back.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 am

Ah, interesting. I was curious because I got a few beers in Maryland that I'd characterize similar to how you did. It wasn't clear to me, though, whether the breweries were intending these beers to be "juicy" or whether it maybe just stems from overuse of the word juicy by beer drinkers, or perhaps use of the word by those unacquainted with NEIPAs. That would be perfectly explainable since there are basically none that are available on shelves anywhere.

Also interesting on Free Will--most of the stuff I've had from them has been bad. Honestly, I think they kind of suck. I like the idea of a brewery doing what they're doing in terms of styles, etc., but just not good in my experience.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:22 am

So I guess some new liquor laws went into place in PA this week?

-All distributors can sell any amount of beer including growlers. The 12 and 6 packs had started in this area from distributors a little while back. I'm looking forward to possibly a better selection of bombers and specialty stuff.

-Bars can open at 9 AM on Sundays now. Might be good to catch some EPL games that way...

-Sporting venues can sell mixed drinks now. Meh...

-Breweries that don't have a pub license can sell other people's beer now. I'm not sure how big of a demand there is for this, but guest taps (especially when they're something that you can't find most other places) are fun.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 am

Anyone try founders frootwood? Sounds delicous

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:51 am

So I guess some new liquor laws went into place in PA this week?

-All distributors can sell any amount of beer including growlers. The 12 and 6 packs had started in this area from distributors a little while back. I'm looking forward to possibly a better selection of bombers and specialty stuff.

-Bars can open at 9 AM on Sundays now. Might be good to catch some EPL games that way...

-Sporting venues can sell mixed drinks now. Meh...

-Breweries that don't have a pub license can sell other people's beer now. I'm not sure how big of a demand there is for this, but guest taps (especially when they're something that you can't find most other places) are fun.
There was actually a half decent article in yesterday's post gazette about the new 6 pack/growler law. One would think that distributors would be very happy to get an opportunity to sell six packs and/or singles, but the distributors were pretty much in a "wait and see" mode.

Troy Loney

BEER

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:02 am

I saw one of the news stations interview an employee of some random beer distributor. It made me wonder why I was watching local news.

MrKennethTKangaroo

BEER

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 am

I saw one of the news stations interview an employee of some random beer distributor. It made me wonder why I was watching local news.
that beer distributor employee probably has a very insightful opinion regarding Antonio brown

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 am

"I was listening to da FAN yesterday. AB needs stahp bein' such a jag."

relantel

BEER

Postby relantel » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 am

Hmm. Beer #1 in their barrel aged series. Cherry ale aged on maple syrup bourbon barrels. Where KBS is #2 and Backwoods Bastard lands at #5. #s 3, 4 & 6 are TBA for June, August and December availability.

Jim

BEER

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 am

Mindfull in the south hills is doing this. It does seem a little weird as it undermines "your" beer and its sales, but it does open the market to everyone including people that might not like what you're cookin

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 pm

that beer distributor employee probably has a very insightful opinion regarding Antonio brown
"Ever since they gave us these new beer laws, business is boomin'."

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Curious about this myself.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Myself and a few buddies tried to go down to Southern Tier in North Shore.

3 hour wait. ****.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Last night I tried 961 porter. Meh. Tasted like roasted malt water.

Tonight I had Andechs Doppelbock. Not the best I've had, but it's a German Doppelbock... Of course it's good.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:49 pm

3 hour wait. ****.
:o

Damn.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:17 pm

We ended up going to Bar Louie and Tequila Cowboy. Found good enough **** to drink, but disappointing.

relantel

BEER

Postby relantel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Adroit Theory's 3rd anniversary festival today, "Dawn of a Dark Day". Got some good stuff, and some guest taps from Mockery Brewing from Denver, Colorado. 37 different beers on tap total.
Join us in welcoming Mockery Brewing out of Denver, Colorado. If you haven't had their beer (shame on you), but this is your opportunity. They don't noramlly distribute outside of Colorado, but to celebrate our upcoming collaboration brew, they were kind enough to send us a pallet of beer.

Salted Scotch (5.8% ABV, 14 IBU)-the closest thing to a "Flagship" beer Mockery produces. Specialty Malts: Biscuit, Caramel, Peat Smoked. Sea Salt added in the kettle to balance malty sweetness, i.e. salted caramel

Silk Road, Spiced Imperial Saison (8% ABV, 26 IBU)- A collaboration with Barley's Angels, a local women's beer enthusiast group. Specialty Ingredients: Sumac, Szechuan Peppercorns, Spelt Malt, Dupont yeast, and Brux Trois.

Bark at the Moon, Baltic Porter (8.5% ABV, 36 IBU)- Lagered for 6 weeks with Czech Lager yeast. Specialty Ingredients: Saigon Cinnamon (the bark of the tree, hence the name), whole Madagascar Vanilla beans, assorted roasted malts.

Brett the Hopman Tart, Bourbon Barrel Aged Sour IPA (11.9% ABV)- Who didn't love Brett the Hitman Hart. This Kettle Sour IPA will lay the smack down on your pallet. Aged 6 months in local Breckenridge Distillery Bourbon barrels. Refermented in the bourbon barrels w/ Brett Claussenii and Brett Drie. Hops: Simcoe, Citra, Mandarina Bavaria

Turn that Brown Upside Down, Sour Brown w/ Cherries and Cocoa Nibs (5.2% ABV)- Kettle sour brown ale, aged on sweet cherries and cacao nibs, fermented with English Ale yeast.

Hop Blooded, Red Rye Triple IPA (10.6% ABV, 120 IBU)- Malt bill was 20% rye, 10 lbs of hops/bbl. Hops: Mosaic, Rakau, Jarrylo, Citra.

Mo' Honey, Mo' Problems, Brandy Barrel Aged Pear Braggot- 49% of fermentables came from local orange blossom and wildflower honey (540 lbs of honey). Pear juice was added near the end of fermentation, allowing some of those contributing sugars to be fermented out, so as not to make it overly sweet, but still retain a fair amount of pear flavor. Aged in Brandy barrels for 6 months, then dry hopped with Huell Melon hops.
It started at 11 but we had to wait for our son's first confession early this afternoon before going.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:00 pm

3 hour wait. ****.
Wow. Sounds like their main facility in lakewood too. You can't even get in that place during a random Saturday in winter

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:23 am

I had a Mad Elf, a Perpetual IPA, a light chocolate stout, and a small glass of red wine last night, and I feel terrible...

My body just isn't cooperating anymore :lol:

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:36 am

I had a Mad Elf, a Perpetual IPA, a light chocolate stout, and a small glass of red wine last night, and I feel terrible...

My body just isn't cooperating anymore :lol:
I on the other hand had a ba berserker, draai laag geestelijke, cappuccino stout, juicy ripper, Penn pilsner, numerous nugget nectars and a growler of local hazey ipa. The secret is I started at noon and sprinkled those throughout the day due to kids birthday parties and feel terrific! Cheers!

columbia

BEER

Postby columbia » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm going to get a couple Drai Laag bottles in the mail in the next month or so.

Suggestions?
Some 25 year old chick - whom I've never seen in my life - just dropped off 4 bottles of the Cru at my house.
My buddy in PGH definitely chose an odd way to deliver it....