BEER

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:33 pm

Of the GF beers I've tried, I think I prefer the West Coast IPA, but Palate Wrecker is good if you want a hoppy, piney punch in the face.

Jofa Guy

BEER

Postby Jofa Guy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:52 pm

Yeah I do usually like getting a big pine flavor, I love the resin. Back to talk on the cans thing, IPAs usually hold better in cans, right?

I usually drink Sierra Nevada, and I hardly ever pour it in a glass because it's my go to. I drink it bottled instead, but if I buy a nice beer from the store I'll definitely get a class for that ho

malkintent

BEER

Postby malkintent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:58 pm

She's never been. I've told her numerous times she should go, but hasn't gone yet. It's about a 2 hour drive from where she's at. Do they bottle and distribute at all?
They bottle their saisons and one offs (wilds, Bourboned beers) but Shaun hill will not bottle ipas. No bottle distribution, kegs limited to nyc. He is a control freak for freshness of his hoppy beers so you can only get growler fills of those. That said he makes some of the best ipa in existence. Yes, better than heady.

His spot is in the middle of nowhere and due to notoriety the line is incredibly long. Last time I was here it took 2.5 hours for growlers and bottles; that was August 2013. It's only gotten worse.

I've offered this up before on the old board. I have a crap ton of hill farmstead bottles. If someone gets a nice tasting together fire me a note and I'd happily bring a few bottles. Anna, their standard farmstead saison is tits.

Oh and malkintent - Shelton brothers distributes prairie so you'll find it on the east end of the state but not western pa. House of 1000 beers gets it occasionally.
Thanks for the info. I have a fraternity brother that lives out that way and have him on the case, re: PAA.

A tasting would be a rad idea. I nominate eddys house as we can dress medieval without reservation. I'm in a bargaining situation with my brother for a 2012 utopias, that may or may not include an organ to be named later.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:44 am

Bell's made an (extremely) limited batch of Pumpkin Peach Ale as an FU to Budweiser's SB ad: http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... story.html

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:07 am

After a week in FedEx jail, they decided to ship my package to me. Just in time for game 2 which will probably end up being a turning point, mainly because of this strange week. Everything is turning up Edward (fingers crossed until it's actually on my porch)

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:10 am

She's never been. I've told her numerous times she should go, but hasn't gone yet. It's about a 2 hour drive from where she's at. Do they bottle and distribute at all?
They bottle their saisons and one offs (wilds, Bourboned beers) but Shaun hill will not bottle ipas. No bottle distribution, kegs limited to nyc. He is a control freak for freshness of his hoppy beers so you can only get growler fills of those. That said he makes some of the best ipa in existence. Yes, better than heady.

His spot is in the middle of nowhere and due to notoriety the line is incredibly long. Last time I was here it took 2.5 hours for growlers and bottles; that was August 2013. It's only gotten worse.

I've offered this up before on the old board. I have a crap ton of hill farmstead bottles. If someone gets a nice tasting together fire me a note and I'd happily bring a few bottles. Anna, their standard farmstead saison is tits.

Oh and malkintent - Shelton brothers distributes prairie so you'll find it on the east end of the state but not western pa. House of 1000 beers gets it occasionally.
Thanks for the info. I have a fraternity brother that lives out that way and have him on the case, re: PAA.

A tasting would be a rad idea. I nominate eddys house as we can dress medieval without reservation. I'm in a bargaining situation with my brother for a 2012 utopias, that may or may not include an organ to be named later.
That's doable, I'll prepare the jousting arena.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:07 am

My wife left work about 4 o'clock yesterday to go and grab a drink with her lab mate. I get a text from her "I was told I needed to let you know that I'm currently drinking a Founders CBS and Katie (friend) is drinking a Founders KBS." WTF? A place in town had both on tap... I was right in the middle of an experiment so I couldn't go join them, and last evening I called, and they said both were only on for 2 days and have already kicked. They sold them in 4 oz portions day 1 just to make sure they last.

Sam's Drunk Dog

BEER

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:10 am

Where in the State College area was this?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:10 am

Zeno's

Sam's Drunk Dog

BEER

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:17 am

I always liked that place. One of my friends from college knows the guy that is the majority owner of that place. He also owns Bill Pickle's Tap Room, the Corner Room, Chumleys, Indigo, Hotel State College, and the Allen Street Grill. He used to be the owner of the Gingerbread man but sold it to the people that sold it to Primanti's.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:49 pm

It's Old Bay season!

https://www.facebook.com/16569868026116 ... =1&theater
(cheap plug for a friend's business)

the errey i breathe

BEER

Postby the errey i breathe » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 pm

It's Old Bay season!

had that last year and was NOT a fan. admittedly I'm not a huge fan of Old Bay but that beer was awful. I'll stick to pearl necklace when it comes to Flying Dog, although the Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout was pretty good.

On another note, I am never sick of Dogfish Head 90min. I just wish the 75min was released more often throughout the year.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:52 pm

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/04/17 ... ewery.html
And, though fixes are ongoing, there’s no firm timeline for when the stench will be gone.

Firestone Walker installed the two wastewater ponds on its campus off Ramada Drive earlier this year to treat the rinse water from its beer-making tanks. The ponds — filled with water that included organic matter such as yeast and grain — haven’t been working correctly, and unseasonably warm weather caused the foul odor to spread over many parts of town and into northern Templeton.

Severity of the odor has varied, depending on weather and wind conditions, officials said.

Resident Robert Raynolds said the smell made him physically ill on Monday. He lives on the east side of Paso Robles several miles north of the Firestone site.

“The smell has come and gone in the last couple of weeks, but Monday was the worst it’s ever been,” he said. “And it was just a blast of it, and it just really put me in a foul mood.”

Raynolds was working outside when the smell hit Monday morning, and by afternoon, he and his wife were forced to stay inside and shut all their windows and doors. By dinnertime, he said he didn’t even want to cook because he was so disgusted.

“I just became irritable. I became a little nauseous — just a sick-to-my-stomach kind of feeling,” he said.
Didn't even realize this was a thing

bhflyhigh

BEER

Postby bhflyhigh » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:04 am

I always liked that place. One of my friends from college knows the guy that is the majority owner of that place. He also owns Bill Pickle's Tap Room, the Corner Room, Chumleys, Indigo, Hotel State College, and the Allen Street Grill. He used to be the owner of the Gingerbread man but sold it to the people that sold it to Primanti's.
The G-Man is now a Primanti's?!
(I haven't been back to PSU in like 6-8 years).

Sam's Drunk Dog

BEER

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:50 am

The G-Man is now a Primanti's?!
(I haven't been back to PSU in like 6-8 years).
Yep. The sale just took place in the last year.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:51 am

Drank the Matilda last night. It was pretty good, but as far as GI goes, I prefer the Sofie. Upon entering it in Untappd, I realized that I actually tried this back at the winter beerfest... but I don't even really remember doing so. Anyway, it's a good beer and I'd definitely drink it again.

Jofa Guy

BEER

Postby Jofa Guy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA- Pretty good stuff and a little less full than the Sculpin imo. It's $9 for a six pack of Big Eye and like $12-15 for the Sculpin. Our place has the Grapefruit, Regular, and Habanero Sculpin- although I'm definitely not trying the Habanero

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

http://www.uwishunu.com/2014/04/victory ... y-april-5/

As of right now, we drive about 30 minutes to Victory in Downingtown. With this pretty sweet brewpub they are building at their newer brewery location, it will be about a seven minute drive. Oh hell yes

blackjack68

BEER

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:38 am

Spent a few nights for work in Montreal and watched the games at Peel Pub about 3 blocks from the Bell Centre drinking 4L pitchers of Labatt's Bleu for $28.

Not fancy like most beers mentioned here, but twas a good time.

Reveutopique

BEER

Postby Reveutopique » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:59 am

It's Old Bay season!

OMG!!!!!!!!!! THAT EXISTS?!
SO JEALOUS!

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:26 am

So, just to update a bit on The Sour & The Funky this year, the event delivered again. It's about all you could ask for from a day.

I think I probably had only 16-18 or so unique beers this year, which is more a testament to the good company and the quality of Cascade Figaro than it is any problems with the list of available stuff. I think they had 54 beers this year, 20 on draft and 34 in bottles. The high price items were the three Cascade brews (Cranberry, Blueberry, Figaro) and Pizza Boy (Abascio-Cell (Blush) and (Pinot Grigio). The Cranberry, Figaro, and two Pizza Boys were all $45+/bottle.

There were probably 10+ local beers among the 20 or so on draft, which is pretty awesome to see. They had all the Draai Laag stuff. Those guys are definitely doing some really cool stuff. I don't really like barleywines, but I thought their Yodeler (bretted barleywine) was pretty interesting. The Red Briar was more enjoyable than the Black, I thought.

But dat Figaro. Dang. I probably had a whole bottle of it myself. "Strong blond beers were aged in fresh Chardonnay barrels for three months and then additionally aged with dried Adriatic white figs and Spanish lemon peel." Yum. There's really a lot going on, and the slight fig sweetness in the finish is perfect. The Cranberry was pretty straight ahead and one dimensional for Cascade stuff.

I thought the Pizza Boy Blush was pretty interesting. There was an aroma and flavor that I just couldn't pinpoint. I can still think of both in my head pretty distinctly. The closest comparison to the aroma I can think of is ant poison, which is really unhelpful in nailing down what it actually is. Tannins maybe? Probably wouldn't spend $50 to try to figure it out, unfortunately. It was good, though. Very sour, almost in that vinegary vein of sour.

11/10 yet again.

meecrofilm

BEER

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:02 am

Bell's made an (extremely) limited batch of Pumpkin Peach Ale as an FU to Budweiser's SB ad: http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... story.html
That's funny. I like Bell's a lot.

In other news, I had a Stone Green Tea IPA the other night (paired with some green tea kit-kats from the far east). Had a nice, refreshing flavor to it. Would recommend.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am

Had a De Garde Petit Desay (tart farmhouse ale) over the weekend and it was excellent. Nice pineapple tartness, but not overpowering at all. I'd drink this all summer if I was able.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:23 am

Had a De Garde Petit Desay (tart farmhouse ale) over the weekend and it was excellent. Nice pineapple tartness, but not overpowering at all. I'd drink this all summer if I was able.
Sounds tasty. Get anywhere around here?

Craig

BEER

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:26 am

I intend to try a new stout tonight. I havent yet decided which.