BEER

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Decided to pour the Fresh Squeezed IPA for my pre-game beverage. It's good, not great.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:04 pm

**** Ben and Jerry's. Their support of Mumia Abu-Jamal was the last straw for me in terms of their leftist politics. I generally don't consider politics that much when buying products, but supporting cop-killers is a bridge too far for me.

Craig

BEER

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Free mumia

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Free mumia

:scared:

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:28 pm

**** Ben and Jerry's. Their support of Mumia Abu-Jamal was the last straw for me in terms of their leftist politics. I generally don't consider politics that much when buying products, but supporting cop-killers is a bridge too far for me.
Yeah, you've brought this up before. It's still not accurate. The company doesn't support him. If you want to stretch it, you could say one of the founders does, but that's not really accurate either.

Ben Cohen signed a petition saying, "I am in no position to judge his guilt or innocence. For all I know, a new and impartial trial could find him guilty again. But the American system of justice must be fair and must be perceived as fair."

Relax and enjoy the ice cream.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Relax and enjoy the ice cream.
I actually visited their factory in Vermont, pretty cool tour. I try to avoid having any ice cream in the house though, just doesn't lead to good things :)

MWB

BEER

Postby MWB » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:52 pm

Yeah, I've been on the your a few times. Always good to get free ice cream at the end. And then pay $5 for a cone because the sample wasn't enough.

malkintent

BEER

Postby malkintent » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:40 pm

The flavor they are trying to obtain isn't very good for a beer, mixed with new belgiums inability to match that with a style that would accentuate that idea. New Belgium is pretty hit or miss with me. I dont dislike their stuff, but their American wild ales (from what I've tried recently) have been their saving grace.

Jofa Guy

BEER

Postby Jofa Guy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 am

The flavor they are trying to obtain isn't very good for a beer, mixed with new belgiums inability to match that with a style that would accentuate that idea. New Belgium is pretty hit or miss with me. I dont dislike their stuff, but their American wild ales (from what I've tried recently) have been their saving grace.
Which wild ales in particular do you like? I agree with your stance on New Belgium. I really enjoy the Ranger and their Imperial IPA's, but I had one of their triples and it really wasn't good- too banana ish

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:04 am

Everything I've had from New Belgium was meh

Reveutopique

BEER

Postby Reveutopique » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:38 am

I used to drink Hoe Gaarden and Yeungling while eating Maryland Crabs during the summer.

Sigh. Those were the days.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:42 am

New Belgium La Folie is tops.

Jofa Guy

BEER

Postby Jofa Guy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:44 am

Decided to pour the Fresh Squeezed IPA for my pre-game beverage. It's good, not great.
:thumb: Finally! I know that some other people mentioned it's not the best, but it's still nice to see people not think this is the best beer ever. A great starter IPA, but just too fruity for me. I definitely think its good but slightly overrated

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 am

That's a good way to state it... It's a starter ipa. Solid, not offensive, but nothing spectacular.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:29 am

You also have to consider people's tastes. Fresh Squeezed is still one of my wife's all time favorite beers. I thought it was good. Nothing ground breaking. She likes the fruity/floral IPAs, I prefer the piney/resiny/dank IPAs.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:37 am

Yeah, I think there's a bit of a prevailing view that fruitier IPAs are wussier than pinier options; hence, the "starter" label. Personally, I feel like my palate is more suited for optimal enjoyment of the more floral and fruity IPAs. That's probably why I rate Fresh Squeezed. When it comes to pursuit of "offensive" beers, I'm more interested in really sour or really funky beers.

malkintent

BEER

Postby malkintent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:17 pm

New Belgium La Folie is tops.
big taste. i am a fan.
Which wild ales in particular do you like? I agree with your stance on New Belgium. I really enjoy the Ranger and their Imperial IPA's, but I had one of their triples and it really wasn't good- too banana ish
The best ive had from NB in that regard is lips of faith-terroir and that was a couple of years ago.

My brother in law is supposed to bring me some consecration next time hes out this way. Ive never had the consecration but ive heard its a kick ass AWA from Russian River.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Consecration has to be up there as one of the top AWAs I've had. I might like Supplication and Temptation better, but that's like saying I like Crosby and Letang better than Malkin.

shafnutz05

BEER

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Has anyone else had the new Stone Delicious IPA? Really digging that hop profile.

malkintent

BEER

Postby malkintent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:37 pm

to expand on my trip to Tired Hands from a couple weeks back...

I think that the governing folks in Ardmore have it out for the brewery. The attitude of the people in the place seemed to think that they (the municipality) are a bunch of jerkoffs, and the staff was kind of tightlipped when i asked about certain things (e.g. they dont have flights, but you can order 1 sample at a time). There is also a large gravel parking lot next to the place with about 60 signs that say not to park there. We moved our car because the server said that they tow and tow often. just very strange. Also, the ABV for their beers seem to hover around that high 4's range, save for a couple of smaller batch stuff they had.

SaisonHands was pretty decent. A rather straight forward saison. Would drink again.

HopHands (sample) I wish i would have tried a bigger glass. Was a very good APA. grapefruit very present.

Hear Voices (sample) Honey ESB hopped with Chinook and Columbus. The FIL really liked that. I thought it was just okay.

Shriek (sample) was a celery gose. This is your ultimate "i just got done cutting the grass" refreshing gose. good stuff.

Eviscerated Pathway of Beauty (16oz). Citrus DIPA... should not have had the 16oz to start because this thing was a strong girl. A lot of hops, A lot of citrus. would black out to regularly, because it doesnt taste like a 8.6%er

Tabel Lotus (sample) light saison...like not much to it. probably shouldnt have had after the DIPA. lol only 3.5%ABV

Amethyst Skeletons Listening to your Footsteps (sample) Flower & Tea IPA ~7%ABV this was pretty wacky. Not really sure what to make of it and the other people at the table werent sure where it was trying to go. I would love to hear other peoples opinions on it.

Compound Mouth - Farmhouse DIPA (8.0%) finished with this in a 16oz. Sits with a heavy head and a strong saison smell/look, tastes like a fruity DIPA mixed with a wine feel. really rad.

edit: for clarification
Last edited by malkintent on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malkintent

BEER

Postby malkintent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Consecration has to be up there as one of the top AWAs I've had. I might like Supplication and Temptation better, but that's like saying I like Crosby and Letang better than Malkin.
i think we have a pretty similar wheel house in the beer world. your opinion re: consecration ups my excitement.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:46 pm

:thumb:

You need to make it up to the Sour and the Funky at House of 1000 Beers next year. They report having ~50 beers this year. It's a wonderful, mouth-puckering day.

malkintent

BEER

Postby malkintent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:47 pm

I wanted to go this year, but work has been a nightmare. im all-in for the next one.

Kraftster

BEER

Postby Kraftster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Gah, I've got to make it to Tired Hands. That last one sounds especially intriguing.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:33 pm

I tried another go at Founders Centennial IPA and I liked this one much better than last time I tried it. Nice piney taste ending with citrus. This bottle was 4 months old as well, but tasted like a different beer. I don't know what's going on with my tastes.

Found a Bells Java Stout in the fridge from 2013 and I was shocked at how much coffee flavor was still there. This was good.

Ten Fidy. can't go wrong.