BEER

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

BEER

Postby iamjs » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:38 pm

120 is good but best consumed in small doses. Honestly the pour I would get at beerfests was usually enough to last me til the next one. I do have one aging in the fridge though for a special occasion.
I had my sometimes annual 120 last week at happy hour. It was surprisingly sweet, even more so than usual, and even had a bit of a citrus taste to it. And I agree that the small dose is the best way to do it.

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:39 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog

BEER

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:36 pm

Finally was able to find and drink a can of Heady Topper. For someone that isn't a fan of IPAs, I thought it was very good, but I don't think I will buy it again.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:26 pm

I had a couple Pliny’s on my west coast trip. 10/10. Would drink again.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:04 am

I like Pliny way better than HT. Really, I prefer Focal Banger to HT by a decent margin... But I'm a sucker for mosaic + Citra brews. This is not to say that I dislike HT, I sure wouldn't turn one down.

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 am

Finally was able to find and drink a can of Heady Topper. For someone that isn't a fan of IPAs, I thought it was very good, but I don't think I will buy it again.
Caliente's had Heady Topper yesterday afternoon. They said they were running low and would probably be out by the end of the day.

This was my second chance at grabbing one. But this past time, I hate to say it, but it seemed... meh. It wasn't because it was overly hoppy, but it definitely wasn't as smooth as I remembered.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:20 am

Troeg's oktoberfest is (as you'd expect) fantastic.

the wicked child

BEER

Postby the wicked child » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:33 am

Caliente's had Heady Topper yesterday afternoon. They said they were running low and would probably be out by the end of the day.

This was my second chance at grabbing one. But this past time, I hate to say it, but it seemed... meh. It wasn't because it was overly hoppy, but it definitely wasn't as smooth as I remembered.
I had a similar experience when I had it a second time... I liked it a lot less.

It's not bad by any means, but I think once the mystique was removed it lost something for me. I prefer Focal Banger from them.

RonnieFranchise

BEER

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:55 am

Stopped at Shy Bear for some Jayhawk and picked up a West Coast IPA. Their stuff is great but $20 a four pack at their location is a little hard to swallow. But, it’s a twice a year thing.

They said they are expanding to Altoona.

count2infinity

BEER

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:00 am

Yeah, Altoona and Hershey are their new locations. I'm not sure they're going to do any brewing at those two locations, more like just tap rooms.

But yeah, their stuff is really good, but do you pay out the nose for it.

Troy Loney

BEER

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:08 am

Last month I went to visit my sister and her husband in New Haven. Going to breweries is their "thing", so we made the trip to Treehouse when we were up there. I stopped being impressed with craft breweries almost ten years ago probably, but this one ruled. The IPAs were fine, not sure I would be able to tell the difference if you put it next to any random ~good IPA. But they could actually make a pilsner that felt like a Bitburger. I feel like when you get a "pilsner" at any random small craft brewer, it's basically "well, it's not an IPA" and you might as well just have gotten a miller lite. But that was a treat.

robbiestoupe

BEER

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:32 am

Anybody interested in locally grown hops? I got a butt ton of Chinook hops this year, probably close to 6 ounces. The typical brew I make uses 2.5, and I only have time to do 1-2 brews per year, if that. And still have some from 2021 that I need to use up.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:38 am

Dogfish released a Mandarin Mango Crush recently. Hadn't seen it before so I bought a 6er. It's like if IC Mango turned into a craft beer.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:44 am

Last month I went to visit my sister and her husband in New Haven. Going to breweries is their "thing", so we made the trip to Treehouse when we were up there. I stopped being impressed with craft breweries almost ten years ago probably, but this one ruled. The IPAs were fine, not sure I would be able to tell the difference if you put it next to any random ~good IPA. But they could actually make a pilsner that felt like a Bitburger. I feel like when you get a "pilsner" at any random small craft brewer, it's basically "well, it's not an IPA" and you might as well just have gotten a miller lite. But that was a treat.
Did you go to their main campus brewery? That place was incredible. I got a few cases last summer there and didn't have one bad beer from the lot. It is a little overwhelming dealing with how many people go through that place though

robbiestoupe

BEER

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:55 am

IC Mango mention and an eddy appearance. Coincidence?

I like IC Mango

Troy Loney

BEER

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:43 pm

Did you go to their main campus brewery? That place was incredible. I got a few cases last summer there and didn't have one bad beer from the lot. It is a little overwhelming dealing with how many people go through that place though
Yeah, pretty amazing facilities', almost like a resort. We went on a weekday afternoon because it's apparently a nigthmare trying to go on a weekend.

eddy

BEER

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:22 pm

IC Mango mention and an eddy appearance. Coincidence?

I like IC Mango
Mangs up brah

meecrofilm

BEER

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:14 pm

Dogfish released a Mandarin Mango Crush recently. Hadn't seen it before so I bought a 6er. It's like if IC Mango turned into a craft beer.
Sold.

Sam's Drunk Dog

BEER

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:56 pm

Good description. I found it to be pretty good.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:55 pm

The orange is a really nice balance to the mango. Not too sweet, not too tangy

RonnieFranchise

BEER

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:35 pm

Anyone been to Stone Bridge Brewing in Johnstown? I was over there today and tried to stop but they don't open until 4 and I needed to get home.

RonnieFranchise

BEER

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:07 pm

Driving around the upper midwest when not at wifey's Mayo Clinic appointments, I've picked up a variety of New Glarus product and a 6 pack of Big Grove Arms Race, a pale ale out of Iowa City that I have really enjoyed. I want to pick up some Surly but I'm gonna have to get to work drinking what I've already got since it has to go in the checked luggage.

MR25

BEER

Postby MR25 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:23 pm

Was in New Jersey two weekends ago. Stumbled upon "Total Wine & More".

What a place. Pretty much had every iteration of most alcohols you could think of. Found Cherry Chouffe, which I haven't seen since I found it at Beer Fest two years ago.

Kinda (ok... only a little) makes me wish I lived closer for stock-up trips. Needed to spend a little more time checking everything out in there.

Sam's Drunk Dog

BEER

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:55 am

I used to have to go to Wilmington, DE for work occasionally and stopping at Total Wine was the only highlight of the hour and half drive.

iamjs

BEER

Postby iamjs » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:31 am

Anyone been to Stone Bridge Brewing in Johnstown? I was over there today and tried to stop but they don't open until 4 and I needed to get home.
I've been there before but not since they moved further down the building. They were based on out of the garage when they first opened, but moved into a bigger section of the building sometime last year.

Their beers were decent. They had a 7% blueberry pancake beer that was really good.