2021 Penn State Football Season Thread

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:09 pm

What a throw!

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:39 pm

The next ridiculous Franklin trick play that works will be the first.....

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:36 pm

What ever happened to Franklin halftime adjustments? Those used to be a thing.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:14 pm

Veilleux in

This second half really sucked. Lots of work to do in the off season.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:24 pm

Happy Clifford is coming back next year...

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:41 pm

Finally. The team was projected to be 2nd to last in the SEC (in front of Vanderbilt that does not care about sports). The foundation has to pay TWO of the last coaches, and the program could not get anybody but a position coach as the new HC. I am not that much into sports, but this was quite a pleasant season. PSU will get into bowl after bowl. For UofA, bowls are an exception...

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:55 pm

After putting myself in concussion protocol from shaking my head so much during that game, I've come to the conclusion that the Yurcich hire was a mistake. Franklin made a brash decision to fire Ciarrocca during a Covid-plagued year that was hastily put together with zero spring/summer practices and roughly 3 weeks of preseason practice. This combined with the refusal to recruit any semblance of talent for the offensive line is going to doom PSU to mediocrity until he can figure it out. Sadly after 8 years, he still hasn't. Defensively today, I thought the players who were out there played hard, especially the D-line who had many guys thrust into a starting spot because of opt-outs. However, the scheme was beyond terrible. Arkansas didn't have their best WR and their QB isn't much of a passer anyway. Yet on the obvious passing downs, they go with a base 4-man rush and no blitz which allows the QB to just sit back there and pick his spot and up his confidence. In the second half, Pittman made the adjustments while Franklin must have been running down Dale Mabry for a quick Mons Venus visit. And then the fake punt. What an dadhole move by Franklin. And here was his quote about it:
“Felt like in that situation we’d either get a pass interference call or I was hoping that they would catch the interception, which would have been as good as a punt,” Franklin said.
Hey, let's fake it and try to get a first down. Nah, let's hope for a PI or they're dumb enough to catch the pick. That play call should be a fireable offense in itself. As for Clifford, I hope that the other 3 QBs that will be in the room this spring push him hard for that job. True freshmen don't make some of the mistakes that Clifford made today, including that end zone pick in the 4th quarter. He missed a wide open TE throw for a TD in the 2nd quarter. If not for Parker Washington's acrobatics, he overthrows a wide open receiver there. He hasn't gotten better since 2019 and there's no thought that he'll magically improve in 22.

10 more years of this crap, people!! $75 million well spent.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:35 am

Yeah, Clifford is making mistakes a 24 year old should not be making. The team is a mess.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:45 am

The offense is a mess anyway. Hopefully under Diaz the defense can continue to perform well snd keep them in games.