You know what really grinds my gears...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:53 pm

It's annoying, regardless. But at least I don't have to pay to have their brakes changed out every 2 months ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:44 pm

I've read that some people are more susceptible (maybe even genetic) to cavities than others and of course not brushing, flossing and eating sugary stuff, etc makes you higher risk too.
I wouldn't doubt this for a second. I've had bad luck with cavities despite doing everything else by the book. Went years without a single sip of soda or other sugary drinks, and that didn't change anything at all.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Re: the teeth discussions. I'll never forget a kid sitting beside me on a bus ride home proudly proclaiming that he'd been to the dentist earlier that day and didn't have a single cavity even though he hadn't brushed his teeth in over a year.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Several months ago I photographed 2 school dances (a father/daughter dance and a mother/son dance). Usually I'm prepaid for photo packages at events like this, but the coordinator dropped the ball and didn't tell the parents ahead of time, so many parents showed up without money. They placed orders on the condition that they would pay for the photos when they were ready. When I had the print orders, I left at least one voicemail for each. Most did pay, but I had 12 parents from the 2 dances that never followed through. Enough time went by that I was tired of storing the photos, so I took them in to the school and included an invoice with the print packages. That was 3 weeks ago. Exactly 2 of the 12 ended up paying. I wasn't overly shocked by this. If they can live with ripping me off, I can live without their money.

My main business is photographing high school seniors. I realized this year that many seniors at the local high school didn't even have a yearbook picture taken and weren't going to be in the yearbook. I contacted the yearbook adviser and volunteered to take free headshots for students who came from families who couldn't afford to pay. She identified 16 students and yesterday I went in to take the photos. One of the boys commented that his mother was irate that she had paid for a yearbook that wasn't going to have his photo (if I hadn't volunteered) and she told him to tell the yearbook adviser that she "better do something about it!" Another girl was special needs (not exactly sure what her condition is, but she doesn't speak and was obviously pretty bad off). The aide who brought her told me that she wanted to buy the girl a 5x7 of the photo because her parents wouldn't buy anything. I could tell a few of the seniors just didn't care about having their photo taken or included in the yearbook, but I felt bad for the kids who were so excited to have this opportunity because their parents were too pathetic to pay a photographer. I personally charge $40 for a yb headshot but I know a few guys in the area that charge as little as $20. Some people shouldn't have kids.

Just a rant. ;)

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:24 pm

How are those 'rustic' fall/Christmas shoots turning out? I'd like to do something like that with my wife, she's get a kick out of it.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Good so far. The weekend of the 2nd is full but I have some openings left Thanksgiving weekend and the 9/10. I actually have had more bookings than I expected since there are 10,000 other "professional" photographers in Somerset now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Glad it's working for you. :)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:31 pm

My neighbor down the street has had Christmas decorations up since last weekend.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Dumb.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 pm

My neighbor down the street has had Christmas decorations up since last weekend.
That's overdoing by a factor of at least five. Saw my first decorated house this year the day before or two days before Halloween, and it's just annoying. Home Depot had Christmas stuff in the garden department two weeks ago. I hate it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 pm

That's overdoing by a factor of at least five. Saw my first decorated house this year the day before or two days before Halloween, and it's just annoying. Home Depot had Christmas stuff in the garden department two weeks ago. I hate it.
Target’s CEO said back in October that they were going to respect the wishes of customers by focusing on Thanksgiving after Halloween. The very next day, the entire area was switched to Christmas trees, ornaments, etc.

It was too early for it then, and it still is, IMO.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Yeah, that one really gets to me. They should go up no earlier than the day after Thanksgiving and come down by Twelfth Night.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:52 pm

I mean, I'll probably string up my lights this weekend, but they won't be turned on until after Thanksgiving.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:55 pm

When Christmas candy goes on sale before Halloween's over, you know there's a problem.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:56 pm

I mean, I'll probably string up my lights this weekend, but they won't be turned on until after Thanksgiving.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Since, we are going to be gone for two weeks at Christmas time, as the stringer of said lights at Casa de Tif I made the command decision to not decorate this year. We were in the temp apartment at Christmas time last year, so we didn't decorate then, either. Bah humbug.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 pm

Weather permitting, I will be on the roof as well.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 am

I was informed we were decorating the interior of our house on Sunday. I may go out and hang the lights, just to get out of "fluffing" our artificial tree. :lol:

The outside lights won't go "live" until Black Friday, however. ;)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 am

Source of the post The outside lights won't go "live" until Black Friday, however. ;)
This is acceptable.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:42 pm

It never fails....no matter what company I'm with, people still do the "reply to all" thing.

A manager sent out an email to the whole company announcing a promotion. About 10 people respond with CONGRATS STACY! and other unprofessional variations. The VP sends out an email saying that Reply to All is not necessary. After her email three more emails come out, including one that says, and I quote "OMG STACY! CONGRATS GURL!!!". FFS, the entire executive leadership team is on this chain, including the president of the company.

How in the **** do people think this is a good idea or acceptable? Oh, and the people that do this? Nearly always women. Women are the absolute worst when it comes to absolutely terrible email etiquette. Replies to all, ugly backgrounds, dumb signatures, different colors, etc.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Source of the post ugly backgrounds
Anyone who uses custom e-mail stationary should be fired on the spot.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 pm

It never fails....no matter what company I'm with, people still do the "reply to all" thing.

A manager sent out an email to the whole company announcing a promotion. About 10 people respond with CONGRATS STACY! and other unprofessional variations. The VP sends out an email saying that Reply to All is not necessary. After her email three more emails come out, including one that says, and I quote "OMG STACY! CONGRATS GURL!!!". FFS, the entire executive leadership team is on this chain, including the president of the company.

How in the **** do people think this is a good idea or acceptable? Oh, and the people that do this? Nearly always women. Women are the absolute worst when it comes to absolutely terrible email etiquette. Replies to all, ugly backgrounds, dumb signatures, different colors, etc.
I think its the same people who just read headlines and not the whole story. Not paying attention at who the email is to.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:58 pm

So my inbox background shouldn't be a screencap from Skyrim?

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:00 pm

WTF, my doctor's office is now only open Monday-Thursday.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 pm

So my inbox background shouldn't be a screencap from Skyrim?
No issues there. I'm talking about the stationary used [namely by admins] in the e-mail body: