You know what really grinds my gears...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Oh that's god awful. It's bad enough that someone I email regularly at work uses Comic Sans for everything.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 pm

I still use Comic Sans to troll certain people at work.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:07 pm

It never fails....no matter what company I'm with, people still do the "reply to all" thing.

A manager sent out an email to the whole company announcing a promotion. About 10 people respond with CONGRATS STACY! and other unprofessional variations. The VP sends out an email saying that Reply to All is not necessary. After her email three more emails come out, including one that says, and I quote "OMG STACY! CONGRATS GURL!!!". FFS, the entire executive leadership team is on this chain, including the president of the company.

How in the **** do people think this is a good idea or acceptable? Oh, and the people that do this? Nearly always women. Women are the absolute worst when it comes to absolutely terrible email etiquette. Replies to all, ugly backgrounds, dumb signatures, different colors, etc.
On the one hand, this is certainly a fail on the part of the responders. One the other, this is why the Baby Jesus invented the BCC field. I don't ever send out blast emails to groups using the 'to' field. Set your coworkers up for success. :fist:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 pm

It never fails....no matter what company I'm with, people still do the "reply to all" thing.

A manager sent out an email to the whole company announcing a promotion. About 10 people respond with CONGRATS STACY! and other unprofessional variations. The VP sends out an email saying that Reply to All is not necessary. After her email three more emails come out, including one that says, and I quote "OMG STACY! CONGRATS GURL!!!". FFS, the entire executive leadership team is on this chain, including the president of the company.

How in the **** do people think this is a good idea or acceptable? Oh, and the people that do this? Nearly always women. Women are the absolute worst when it comes to absolutely terrible email etiquette. Replies to all, ugly backgrounds, dumb signatures, different colors, etc.
Futilely trying to sleep at my hotel last week, someone at work emailed hundred or thousands or millions of people by mistake...couldn't assess impact at 2 am. Ok whatever. One buzz ain't gonna kill me. But the rest of the night was filled with people replying asking what the email was about. God damn buzzing all night.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Yes, we have several statewide listservs that automatically post any response back to the list (so even if you choose Reply, it acts like a Reply All).

A certain statewide library agency wanted to know holiday hours for Thanksgiving week, so they could schedule the interlibrary loan courier service. The sender asked everyone to reply off list to him.

About half the people on the list don't know how to do this, so we get to see about 25 responses. The list is also set to not send you a copy of your response, so one poor octogenarian in Beaufort sent the same email about four times before someone took her computer away. :lol:

@columbia :pop:

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:48 pm

lol

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Futilely trying to sleep at my hotel last week, someone at work emailed hundred or thousands or millions of people by mistake...couldn't assess impact at 2 am. Ok whatever. One buzz ain't gonna kill me. But the rest of the night was filled with people replying asking what the email was about. God damn buzzing all night.
I highly recommend turning off notifications for email. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but if that's possible, even just at night - do it. It's worth it.

My Android phone has a fantastic privacy mode, which can either disable all incoming notifications or only allow notifications from people on your starred contact lists. It's really great, especially when travelling.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:56 pm

I highly recommend turning off notifications for email. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but if that's possible, even just at night - do it. It's worth it.

My Android phone has a fantastic privacy mode, which can either disable all incoming notifications or only allow notifications from people on your starred contact lists. It's really great, especially when travelling.
Since that trip, I'm in do not distrurb mode like 75% of the time. I realized how upsetting it was becoming to feel my phone buzz about a hundred times a day.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:14 am

Source of the post I highly recommend turning off notifications for email. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but if that's possible, even just at night - do it. It's worth it.
To further that, I highly recommend not working in operations.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:44 am

At my previous job, I was constantly checking emails at night time and working, primarily because my workload was so insane, but also because I had a ton of internal clients on the west coast that were very demanding. For the last few months, aside from responding to the occasional email to show my dedication, I never check it. It's wonderful.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 am

There is an insurance commercial that has a teacher tell her class that there will be a pop quiz tomorrow. Hey teach, it's not a pop quiz if you give the class prior warning that it will happen.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 am

imploding a domed stadium that a) is only 25 years old and b) was renovated for $300 MILLION DOLLARS only 11 years ago. :roll:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/geor ... Z4CHcmUnL/

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am

Yeah, Atlanta has a history with blowing up perfectly good stadiums. Dummies.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 am

Who paid for the new dome?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:00 am

Looks like $200M came from a hotel/motel tax. Must be nice to get a free 20% down payment on a house.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:38 am

Searching for a recipe and then having to scroll through twelve paragraphs about how the person's mee-maw passed down the recipe from generation to generation while inspiring the kids to love what they bake. Now your recipe gets a 1 star review no matter how good it is.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am

Every recipe ever. ^

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 am

Every recipe ever. ^
Then the comments are an endless stream of people suggesting changes to the recipe that completely change the dish but show how clever the commentor is.

It's amazing we all don't starve to death.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am

Every recipe ever. ^
Then the comments are an endless stream of people suggesting changes to the recipe that completely change the dish but show how clever the commentor is.

It's amazing we all don't starve to death.
Allow me to add to this: anyone who suggests a vegetable in place of the meat (which is the center of the entire recipe).

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:47 am

:lol:

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:47 am

my favorite is:

I added cloves, lemon grass, tapioca, prosciutto, soy sauce and grape fruit juice and this was the worst thing i made! would not recommend!

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:48 am

Sort of related:

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Meeting hosts who text you at 10:28 for a 10:30 meeting to see if you are dialing in.

Yep, at 10:30 cha-cha. 10 seconds later than I would have since I have now had to read your text.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Yeah, Atlanta has a history with blowing up perfectly good stadiums. Dummies.
at least with Turner Field it's being adjusted to serve as Georgia State University's football stadium. Philips Arena is going through a $196M renovation. apparently they're doing away with the wall of suites. it was an interesting idea 20 years ago it just ended up not working at all.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Sort of related:

Dann Bowien is the presenter of the next season of Mind Of A Chef.