You know what really grinds my gears...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:35 am

Yeah the apps' business practices are pretty terrible. We haven't even discussed the tactic of building fake 'menu' websites for unaffiliated websites, so it looks like you order from the restaurant but you're actually plugging your info directly into a site owned and operated by one of the services. And the service is able to pay for Google search primacy so that 'goodenpalace-la.com' (Door Dash site) comes up in searches above 'golden-palacela.com' (actual restaurant website).

Then restaurants feel pressure to opt in to to the service's marketing affiliate program and now they're at the mercy of the surcharges.

Don't use delivery apps for restaurants.
Preaching to the choir but that issue is discussed in this one:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:45 am

Gonna order using DD tonight in honor of you chuckleheads.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:47 am

I ordered DD on Sunday. It was a future order but they made it right away, so it sat on the rack for about an hour. Real great look for fries w/toppings. And then they used nasty chicken gristle on my wife's sandwich. We're pretty much done with them now. :lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:49 am

admittedly the only times I order Door Dash are when I’m post-edible or drunk

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:50 am

I'll just wait for the day I can order a pizza and have it 3D printed for me in my home.

To ulf's point, BSB is a chain and the local doofus at the window doesn't control their agreement with DD. ;)
I always love how she uses her bare hands even though it's steaming hot

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:50 am

Half of the issues discussed here are with the drivers in your particular areas and not DD in general.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:52 am

And those drivers "work" for DD so it's a reflection on the company.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:06 pm

Even ignoring the restaurants getting ripped off thing, the convenience of delivery was always overshadowed by the shitty quality of the food. It is almost always cold and almost always late. That's because in order for the drivers to actually make any money, they often pick up multiple orders at once. So your food is ready in 20 minutes, the driver doesn't arrive until 30-40 minutes because they're stopping at another place first. Then they drop off the first order so it's another 20 minutes until it gets to you. I've never had a good experience using those apps. It's worth it to get off your ass and get your food yourself.
Also from the driver perspective, consider there are restaurants that are available via the various apps that don't actually accept online or phone orders. Which means your order must be placed in person by the driver...... in a first-come-first-serve line that might have 10 other people ahead of them when they arrive........ where the driver won't start getting paid for their time until the order is placed, and the passive time of waiting for the order to come up is reimbursed at like 50% of the hourly delivery rate (because this time is apparently less valuable to you even though you're still 'offline' as a driver and can't accept any more orders until this one is picked up)......

Now consider that some apps (I know for sure Uber Eats) actually encourage drivers in their official Help site to cancel deliveries if it's going to take more than 15 minutes to pick up food. So depending on the combination of when you placed your order, the specific restaurant in question, when the driver accepted your offer, and when the order was actually received by the restaurant, you could easily be more than halfway through your delivery window when you get a cancellation notice.

Don't use the apps.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:10 pm

Count this gentleman in the "food delivery apps can suck it" camp

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:17 pm

I'll just wait for the day I can order a pizza and have it 3D printed for me in my home.

To ulf's point, BSB is a chain and the local doofus at the window doesn't control their agreement with DD. ;)
Well then he should stfu

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:19 pm

Also, I think dodint touched on this previously, but years of data show that consumers are far more likely to blame a restaurant for a poor 'experience' than the app/service. Things like cold food, late delivery, missing items, etc. The restaurant takes the hit for that when in reality a lot of these issues aren't their fault, but because of the bad experience the next time a consumer hops into their DD app or whatever that restaurant isn't getting another look.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:24 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed food being delivered “cold” before the when using delivery. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t necessarily happened but the only times I’ve been upset are when they got something I ordered technically wrong (is if I order something without cheese and they out cheese on it)

only once have I had an order cancelled on me (I use Door Dash) and generally my experiences using it have been fine and very convenient

I’m also a pretty tolerant person and don’t expect things to be perfect

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:50 pm

I will gladly drive 5-10 minutes each way, and prefer that to delivery. I am always convinced that my house is the last stop on the delivery route, and at least when I pick up I can get there a few minutes ahead of time and put it right in my car when it is freshly made. I usually just turn on the passenger seat warmer on the way home :lol:

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:03 pm

We use door dash alot. Never issues with food bring cold. If the place has their own delivery we do that but some places only deliver to us via door dash.

Also if I have to call a place to order...no go. I'm online ordering only at this point.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:44 pm

I use doordash like twice a year because the fees are ridiculous. For a single, it's basically doubling the food price. It might be more feasible for a family order or something. That said, these places don't have to use doordash, so I don't think their complaints are valid

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:46 pm

DD is an absolute rip off. I’m sure grubhub and all the others are the same

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:10 pm

Also if I have to call a place to order...no go. I'm online ordering only at this point.
This is why I often choose Jioios over Giannellii's. Jiois has a web platform.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:23 pm

As DG said, cool give me a DD card and I'll get something but not too interested in paying out of pocket.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:30 pm

I'm good with apps being banned from adding restaurants without their permission.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:37 pm

I'm good with apps being banned from adding restaurants without their permission.

Me too but what legal reasoning would they use to get them banned? Anyone is free to get takeout and it shouldn't be any business of the food preparer where that food ends up (setting aside complaints going back the food preparer).

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:43 pm

it's kind of funny that all the delivery services have similar, vampiric business models too. I'm surprised there isn't an ethical one that's like "we have healthy relationships with both the restaurants and our drivers"

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:50 pm

It should be a rule that a person is not allowed to recline their seat on flights less than 2 hours long.

Yes you’re hitting the button
Yes your seat isn’t moving
Yes those are my knees
No I can’t move
**** you

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:55 pm

I only had that happen once, and me fidgeting constantly got them to move the seat back up.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:21 pm

If my seat reclines, I’m reclining it