You know what really grinds my gears...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:10 pm

mazon Fire tablets

See Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on both the 10" and 7" devices. I'm like "I hate my tablet and old phone. They are old and can't be updated to the latest Android OS, and the tablet in particular is a recalcitrant POS. I shall replace them." So between the special sale price and the cunning use of reward points, I basically only had to go out-of-pocket the cost of liberating the devices from lock screen ads. The devices were delivered yesterday, and through the process of setting them up I learned that they are, for my purposes, functionally devoid of any real utility. Installing Google Chrome on them is like a 15-step process, and the apps I wanted to use the smaller device for aren't compatible with it; YouTube isn't an app, it's a bookmark to the mobile version of the website. Just, you know, all of the hoots.

Ultimately this is a 'me' fail. But I just can't envision a reality where it would ever occur to me to verify that an Android device could run Google apps.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:12 pm

Source of the post o between the special sale price and the cunning use of reward points,
Hope you didn't use too many points, unless you took advantage of one of those 'use at least 1 UR point to get an extra $20% off' deals. It's almost never a good redemption.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:13 pm

I wouldn't do that at all. I'd give the ones who requested files a payment deadline and tell them if they don't pay by then all files will be deleted. I would only keep files for the 1 year agreed upon term. Do you deliver the digital files with your original delivery?
I used to bend over backwards because I wanted to go above and beyond to keep clients happy. Now I don't do enough photography to really justify caring. Sad to admit, but true.

Digitals are always an option to buy, but I focused more on print sales. I had too many bad experiences with clients getting a disc of images and never getting anything printed, then losing it and coming back to me five years later. Or getting prints from Walmart that looked like dogshit. So I always priced digital files very high (for my market) at around $100 per file or $2000 for the entire session. I actually had a few pay it, but most bought prints.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:44 pm

Source of the post o between the special sale price and the cunning use of reward points,
Hope you didn't use too many points, unless you took advantage of one of those 'use at least 1 UR point to get an extra $20% off' deals. It's almost never a good redemption.
It was only around $100 worth out of something close to $8,000 available. Put it this way: The deal was attractive enough that I would've paid 100% out-of-pocket, but saw that I had some points to burn so I looked at it as sort of free toys. It's just the frustration of it that's getting me.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:49 pm

I wouldn't do that at all. I'd give the ones who requested files a payment deadline and tell them if they don't pay by then all files will be deleted. I would only keep files for the 1 year agreed upon term. Do you deliver the digital files with your original delivery?
I used to bend over backwards because I wanted to go above and beyond to keep clients happy. Now I don't do enough photography to really justify caring. Sad to admit, but true.

Digitals are always an option to buy, but I focused more on print sales. I had too many bad experiences with clients getting a disc of images and never getting anything printed, then losing it and coming back to me five years later. Or getting prints from Walmart that looked like dogshit. So I always priced digital files very high (for my market) at around $100 per file or $2000 for the entire session. I actually had a few pay it, but most bought prints.
I've only dealt with pro photographer once (wedding, 15+ years ago). My understanding then was that it was super rare for a photographer to hand over the digital copies (at least at printable resolution) because they usually retained copyright over their work and wanted to be the source of truth for printing any additional images after the fact. Ours gave us 2 DVDs of our full res images, which is how I know she and her #2 both took their meal breaks at the same time because there is a 45-minute gap in the timestamps on consecutive images. (In total, they only captured around 5 or 6 shots of our guests)

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:51 pm

We just got married in July and our photographer (and the others we talked to) only delivered digital files, both "web size" and high res for printing. Our videographer delivered a teaser and a highlight video, and I basically had to pull his teeth to get him to give me the raw footage.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:53 pm

Yeah, I always gave a disc of images for weddings. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of prints for parents, grandparents, cousins, let alone printing thank you cards, etc.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:54 pm

We did an all-digital deal in 2010 as well.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:56 pm

Tif got married when digital was just becoming a "thing" in mainstream photography, so most of the photographers back then would have been old school, used to dealing with actual negatives, prints, etc. Totally understandable. I shot my first wedding in 2006 and digital was really just taking off. The industry had a huge evolution in the mid 2000s before being driven into the ground around 2018ish.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:11 pm

Yeah, got married in '07. We talked to all-digital, physical media, and combo photographers and the one we went with was the only one who gave us full-res files as part of the standard quote. We talked to one mixed media guy who said he'd hand over negs/full res digital for a surcharge that was almost double the base quote.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:15 pm

So what I learned from all of this is tif is super old. Got it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:17 pm

The photographer we used only had a digital photo package, so no prints, but that's exactly what we wanted. I have never seen a photographer offer RAW files, ever. I would have paid for them if so.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:19 pm

A photographer offering RAW files would be ridiculously dumb. My videographer really didn't want to hand over the raw footage but that's the only reason we hired him. The edited highlights were a bonus that he threw in. Honestly, it's a good thing he did that. I haven't touched the raw footage at all. Originally my plan was to edit it together as a Christmas gift but maybe a first anniversary gift makes more sense...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Pfft, I was married in '91.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:21 pm

I'm referring to photos, not video, FWIW. No chance would I want to deal with processing video.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:22 pm

Pfft, I was married in '91.
Jeez. How long did you have to sit still while waiting for the exposure?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:28 pm

The photographer (Infinity in State College I think it was) shot on 120 film. He did a nice job.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:34 pm

I had one prospective wedding client tell me they expected all of the RAW files at the end of the wedding day. I said that wasn't an option. They said everything has a price. I suggested they keep shopping for a photographer who better fit their needs, thanked them for their interest, and hung up.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:35 pm

Dodged a bullet there.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm

Dodged a bullet there.
Yep.

My biggest red flag ever came with a different couple. They drove in from Pittsburgh to meet with me. The groom was a ****** of the first order and extremely condescending while the bride was a sweetheart. Near the end of the meeting, the groom said, "I'd like to know what you'll be wearing to the wedding so we can decide if you'll be seated with our guests." I was literally at a loss for words. As soon as they left, I texted the bride and said I was sorry but I didn't think I was a good fit for them. I'd love to know if they're still married. She deserved much better.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:54 pm

Our wedding was 25 years ago. Our photographer went out of business a few years later and sold us all the negatives. Don't remember for how much, not that it matters.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:56 pm

Dodged a bullet there.
Yep.

My biggest red flag ever came with a different couple. They drove in from Pittsburgh to meet with me. The groom was a ****** of the first order and extremely condescending while the bride was a sweetheart. Near the end of the meeting, the groom said, "I'd like to know what you'll be wearing to the wedding so we can decide if you'll be seated with our guests." I was literally at a loss for words. As soon as they left, I texted the bride and said I was sorry but I didn't think I was a good fit for them. I'd love to know if they're still married. She deserved much better.
Should have tried to sneak on in there.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:10 pm

Was she hot?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:31 pm

The biggest problem we had was standing still for so long and keeping the flash lamps away from the venue's fire suppression system.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:28 pm

how much do you people miss the bowl??? :lol: :scared:
:lol:

We have an 8 year old. Plus, every time the toilet flushes the cover sits right on the lid. I dunno, there are plenty of nice holiday decorations, don't know why the shitter needs them.