You know what really grinds my gears...

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02 pm

I watched one reaction video ever (Hurt by J.Cash). Posted it here and was told it was bullshit so I never watched another. :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:36 pm

A channel called "Nice Dude Movie Night" showed up on my recommended videos on YouTube. It's one of those reaction channels where they claim to be reacting to movies for the first time. On this channel, they claim to had never seen Space Balls, Blazing Saddles, Ghostbusters, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Batman 89 & Batman Returns, The Princess Bride, Gremlins, The Exorcist, Rear Window, Halloween, The Wedding Singer, The Big Lewbowski, Wizard of Oz, and others. Their regular reviews have about 1k views. The "FIRST TIME WATCHING!" reactions have 50-400k.

And now that I've watched a few, I can't seem to get them off of my recommended page.
There are a few music-related channels that I get this from. Like, you are a professional voice coach and theater director, and you are posting a video in September 2021 of the first time you are hearing 'Satisfied' from Hamilton? Got it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:37 pm

That said, I recommend Jamel_AKA_Jamal for some hootful react content. He's a good dude and makes funny videos.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:40 pm

The love for reaction videos are one thing I’ll never understand. It’s incomprehensible to me why some people enjoy watching someone else watch something. Especially because their reactions are overdramatized for the camera; like the guy who bawls at every Star Wars trailer released
This one of your best looks in a while...if you're watching a "reaction video", you should be reduced to a 28.8 modem for a week and a half...
:lol:

"BLIND, DEAF REFUGEE FROM SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA HEARS BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY FOR THE FIRST TIME!"
We have a movie club at work, and during Pride month we had a themed watch list. One of the movies was BoRap, and on Discussion Monday the 22 year old intern in the club was like, "I had never heard this song before, it's pretty good", and part of me died inside. (I was wearing a Queen t-shirt)

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:56 pm

Well it came out 47 years ago. That would be like a 22 year old me in 2006 not knowing any of the popular songs of 1959. "What the ****? You've never heard Johnny Horton's Battle of New Orleans!?"

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:57 pm

Yeah a 22 year old not knowing queen is not shocking at all IMO.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm

It's more surprising that the 22 year old intern at Disney never saw Wayne's World. I mean, except that it was released almost 10 years before they were born.
**** we're old.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:12 pm

I get what the attempt is here, but the song in question has had a number of vehicles for it to get to younger folks since its release compared to anything from Horton...

I'm not taken aback by this person never having heard that song...but, it's a little tough to imagine...that's a lot of media to avoid in a virtually media-only world these days...

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:18 pm

What else besides Wayne's World and the 2018 biopic?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 pm

Yeah a 22 year old not knowing queen is not shocking at all IMO.
This is simply a result of failed parenting.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:21 pm

Johnny Horton was a joke, btw. Obviously that song isn't on the same level.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:35 pm

I’m not going to sit here quietly and let BoRap get flippantly compared to Battle of New Orleans. It’s more similar in cultural relevance and just sheer artistry to Johnny B Goode which, like BoRap, should be required listening for everyone in the English speaking world

edit dammit I didn’t refresh the page and see nocera’s most recent post lol

though I was surprised to see that Battle of NO was the top song of 1959

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:01 pm

What else besides Wayne's World and the 2018 biopic?
I'm not sure if this is genuine or not...

But, well, every radio market has at least one classic rock station...not all of them have 50's country stations or anything categorically similar.

B.R. has appeared in almost 300 movies. Battle of New Orleans doesn't even appear in the go-to Battle of New Orleans movie...

Plus, commercials and, I'm sure, some television shows that I don't watch. I mean, it's a fairly significant part of US/UK media culture. It's played in bars, it's butchered by karaoke wannabes, etc. etc.

I was just at the Country Music Hall of Fame and didn't even see it as a footnote and, effectively, went to the source haha

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:02 pm

Stairway to Heaven is another gem brought to us by Wayne's World, FYI.

(albeit, briefly)

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:03 pm

Radio? Pffft.

A 22 year old doesn't know Bohemian Rhapsody? Don't they listen to classic rock on the radio!?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:11 pm

22 year olds are doing Spotify or some other streaming for their music they aren't listening to any radio of any kind.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:21 pm

I understand. But for, like, 17 of those 22 years, they're being driven around by people from the previous generation or they're staying under the supervision of the previous generation in all likelihood.

Again, the idea is that the pure access to that song...not just access, but how much that song has been pushed through every imaginable form of media that anyone of any age could consume is so vastly different than many other songs. Hell, I'm a Rolling Stones fan, Satisfaction has been voted as the best song ever or whatever...I'd understand never having heard that song before over B.R....it's uniquely recognizable, it's uniquely marketed via any and all channels, it's just tough to imagine not accidentally hearing it...

BofNOLA - I all but tried to listen to it over the weekend and couldn't...and again, that's not just about Horton, but just categorically anything of the sort. The magnitudes of difference make the comparison void, imo...

In conclusion, that kid is a dud. Rightfully, he should only be getting bagels and donuts...he's not ready for coffee, too much at stake/too much variation...

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:25 pm

Again, the NOLA song was a joke because the title made me chuckle.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:26 pm

Again, I'm saying categorically. So, the song and performer is irrelevant to my point of view.

Though, I wonder if there's going to be any good Persian Gulf War songs that come out at any point haha

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:28 pm

By the way, looking at the Billboard top 100 for 1959, I was surprised that I only knew a few and one of them is the Chipmunk Christmas song.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:44 pm

I understand. But for, like, 17 of those 22 years, they're being driven around by people from the previous generation or they're staying under the supervision of the previous generation in all likelihood.

Again, the idea is that the pure access to that song...not just access, but how much that song has been pushed through every imaginable form of media that anyone of any age could consume is so vastly different than many other songs. Hell, I'm a Rolling Stones fan, Satisfaction has been voted as the best song ever or whatever...I'd understand never having heard that song before over B.R....it's uniquely recognizable, it's uniquely marketed via any and all channels, it's just tough to imagine not accidentally hearing it...

BofNOLA - I all but tried to listen to it over the weekend and couldn't...and again, that's not just about Horton, but just categorically anything of the sort. The magnitudes of difference make the comparison void, imo...

In conclusion, that kid is a dud. Rightfully, he should only be getting bagels and donuts...he's not ready for coffee, too much at stake/too much variation...
Fair enough.

I think most 22 year olds if they heard BH would probably go...hey I heard that somewhere at some point, but wouldnt know the name or the group or the song.

I have lots of songs like that... I hear them as background noise, so I know of them, but couldn't tell you who sung them or what the name is.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:47 pm

*She

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:47 pm

Three songs are money on that '59 list

Mack The Knife
What'd I Say
Peter Gunn Theme

The rest, meh. Wasn't even an especially good year for Elvis songs.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:48 pm

I prefer the Rat Pack version of Mack the Knife, personally.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:48 pm

*She
Is she hot?