You know what really grinds my gears...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:04 am

Yeah, the apps are horrible. Don't use them.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:05 am

I do push for calling restaurants directly because I know these delivery apps take a bite out of them. I only utilize them if they're offering a heavy discount (this was $20 off of $25, so...).

But yeah, I think you guys are all right, even mimh...

mr: I don't know what happened, I couldn't even review my transaction in any way. Because the food was dog ****, so that's bad on the restaurant. And then the service (or perhaps the restaurant) failed to deliver a pizza from a pizza place. If you leave a place where pizza is roughly 75 to 80% of the menu and you don't have a pizza box, just check the receipt one more time. Just a glance, just to be sure.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:05 am

If you like the restaurant and want them to stick around, order direct. If you like your food hot and picked up when it's actually ready, order direct. If you're a lazy slob who likes cold food, overpaying, and dicking over a restaurant continue with your DoorDash/Uber Eats/Grubhub ordering.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:06 am

I call my local pizza shop - which now delivers again - but use DD for everywhere else. That said, 99% of the places we order on DD from are actual restaurants and not small mom and pop type fast food places.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:06 am

The restaurant isn't being forced to opt into allowing DD. Get outta here with that nonsense.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:06 am

There is a bunch of litigation out there right now with these services. They've been taking restaurant logos and using them as if the app belongs to the restaurant. Often the restaurant has no idea that the order is coming through a third party, so they're getting complaints about cold food or missing items even though they don't offer delivery. It's pretty lame.

scb147

Postby scb147 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:08 am

I gave up using DD when 4 out of 5 deliveries were cold and/or late.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:08 am

The restaurant isn't being forced to opt into allowing DD. Get outta here with that nonsense.
This is factually incorrect. Some restaurants are partners with DD but many do not interface with the app at all. You submit your order and the service orders on your behalf and a driver picks it up. The restaurant only sees it as a pickup order and has no control over what happens when the third party has your food.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:09 am

This is factually incorrect. Some restaurants are partners with DD but many do not interface with the app at all. You submit your order and the service orders on your behalf and a driver picks it up. The restaurant only sees it as a pickup order and has no control over what happens when the third party has your food.
Really? I honestly thought that wasn't the case, so I stand corrected.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:10 am

Is that for smaller shops? Nearly all of my orders actually have the DoorDash logo on the receipt stapled to the bag.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:10 am

So how are restaurants losing money in this instance?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:11 am

Really? I honestly thought that wasn't the case, so I stand corrected.
If you want to hear a little more about the reforms in this space this is a good short listen:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:15 am

So how are restaurants losing money in this instance?
Through lost goodwill and repeat customer sales when the food shows up cold and late, like in mikey's case. And also the overcharging for items so DD can make a profit. It gives the customer the impression that the restaurant is charging high prices for the food when that isn't the case.

The restaurants that do partner with DD lose money by having to cut into their margin to share proceeds with DD. That should be the restaurant's choice, or at the very least that relationship should be transparent to the customer. Some smaller places do not have a delivery service and welcome DDs participation in the market. But others don't like to give up control of the food quality and want to be able to prohibit DD from making it appear that the restaurant has a relationship that doesn't exist, which I think is fair.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:16 am

I was going to post about this a few days ago, but forgot about it.

I rarely use the delivery apps, mostly because my previous town (although I technically live there over the weekend) had very few options when it came to meal delivery or restaurants in general. No, I don't want **** Huddle House or McDonald's delivered. But my new locale...now we're talking. Lots of options.

But, I am very cheap. Not only do the restaurants raise their menu prices for these services, then you get delivery minimums and fees. So a $30 meal becomes a $50 meal, etc. No problem. I'll just go pick it up.

My parents got me a Grubhub gift card randomly, so I ordered a pizza and salad from a local place (that does not have a website or their own online ordering platform, as is the norm for many businesses even in Myrtle Beach). It was $30 for a small pizza and side salad for delivery. Whatever. It's on my parents' dime. The delivery gets there on time...but it's a large pizza and side salad for $30. So I actually got the better end of it for once. :lol:

But anyway, I don't know how people can put up with the exorbitant upcharges on all of those services. I'd rather just call the restaurant directly or use their own online platform if they have one.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:16 am

Even ignoring the restaurants getting ripped off thing, the convenience of delivery was always overshadowed by the shitty quality of the food. It is almost always cold and almost always late. That's because in order for the drivers to actually make any money, they often pick up multiple orders at once. So your food is ready in 20 minutes, the driver doesn't arrive until 30-40 minutes because they're stopping at another place first. Then they drop off the first order so it's another 20 minutes until it gets to you. I've never had a good experience using those apps. It's worth it to get off your ass and get your food yourself.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:18 am

But, I am very cheap. Not only do the restaurants raise their menu prices for these services, then you get delivery minimums and fees. So a $30 meal becomes a $50 meal, etc. No problem. I'll just go pick it up.
This illustrates my point exactly. The third-party service is charging a premium for the menu items on top of the delivery fee. Not the restaurant. But the restaurant suffers this degraded image.

TYFYS.

Also, I think tif is the OG for this argument, he was the one that turned my eye to it a long time ago.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:19 am

I rarely have issued with DD, and have used it twice a week for 2 years now. The service fee is waived thanks to my Chase cards, and while menu prices are slightly higher, being able to order delivery from a restaurant that doesn't offer delivery is worth it. I've only had one delivery come so late that the food was cold, and DD refunded the entire meal in a few minutes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:20 am

nocera, I think for a while there Uber Eats let you pay a little more for priority delivery. So when someone picked up 4 orders at once, you had the ability to pay more and ensure the other three people got slightly colder food than you. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:21 am

Oh, also this:

1 In 4 Food Delivery Drivers Admit To Eating Your Food
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/30/74660010 ... ir%20meals.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:23 am

Oh, also this:

1 In 4 Food Delivery Drivers Admit To Eating Your Food
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/30/74660010 ... ir%20meals.
I’ve always considered myself a charitable person

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:26 am

nocera, I think for a while there Uber Eats let you pay a little more for priority delivery. So when someone picked up 4 orders at once, you had the ability to pay more and ensure the other three people got slightly colder food than you. :lol:
See. The rich keep getting slightly less colder food.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:28 am

I had a local burger/sandwich place lecture me when I picked up my food. They said to just call them next time because it would save both of us money. I use Doordash because I want to select from a menu on screen, not hope and pray that the guy on the other end of the phone in a busy restaurant gets my order right.

I haven't gone back to that place since because I feel like I'm an imposition. Good job, Bob.
(It was Big Shot Bob's House of Wings)
I would have told him they should take themselves off doordash then

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:30 am

I used a delivery service once because it was in the middle of the pandemic and we had a gift card to use it. I get the allure of it, but the operation of these services appear to be lacking in quality control. I'll just wait for the day I can order a pizza and have it 3D printed for me in my home. Until then, I'm driving 5-10 minutes to pick up the food. It's not a big deal

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:32 am

This illustrates my point exactly. The third-party service is charging a premium for the menu items on top of the delivery fee. Not the restaurant. But the restaurant suffers this degraded image.

TYFYS.

Also, I think tif is the OG for this argument, he was the one that turned my eye to it a long time ago.
Yeah the apps' business practices are pretty terrible. We haven't even discussed the tactic of building fake 'menu' websites for unaffiliated websites, so it looks like you order from the restaurant but you're actually plugging your info directly into a site owned and operated by one of the services. And the service is able to pay for Google search primacy so that 'goodenpalace-la.com' (Door Dash site) comes up in searches above 'golden-palacela.com' (actual restaurant website).

Then restaurants feel pressure to opt in to to the service's marketing affiliate program and now they're at the mercy of the surcharges.

Don't use delivery apps for restaurants.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:33 am

I'll just wait for the day I can order a pizza and have it 3D printed for me in my home.

To ulf's point, BSB is a chain and the local doofus at the window doesn't control their agreement with DD. ;)
Last edited by dodint on Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.