You know what really grinds my gears...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Fair, if true. I'm sure it turns into a quality product. Seems like we could dig a big hole some place in the middle of a desert and buy ourselves enough for another World War...find an area in completely useless, infertile land that has no connecting water source underneath it..."build a wall" around it...and dump a generation's worth of trash in it...I doubt it would even be a square mile all told...

That's more of a general thought than me not caring about recycling water bottles...which I still don't, but it seems like we could find places for garbage that aren't the ocean...
The question is, are you willing to spin the big giant wheel at the center of this hole to ensure the trash is properly compacted?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:21 pm

I obviously won't be down there because I know how to properly act in society...despite my postings here today...

But those people down there (and there will be a whole mess of them), they will do a great job...the best job compacting trash...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Re: recycling...

You would think there are like 5 people in our house for the amount of recycling we put out every 2 weeks. The fact that it's just myself and my coke zero addiction that fills a large green recycling garbage can is troubling lol. GF drinks diet cherry Dr pepper too but it's mostly me.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Do they recycle everything in your area (glass/plastic/paper)? We have to split our glass/plastic and paper recycling, and I know that it wasn’t until a few months ago that my uncles area in Irwin didn’t have one of the two (I want to say glass/plastic). We recycle basically any cardboard we have, which I’m going to assume isn’t very common.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:02 pm

When people think you're not who you say you are :lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:18 pm

It seems like a lot of recycling programs are subsidized...which is code for not profitable...and given that I don't work for the municipality or a private trash company, I'm not getting paid nearly enough to separate my trash...

If I'm throwing out a safe full of soup cans that are full of ball bearings...fine, I'll let someone know...I won't try to fit that into a couple of those Glad Stretch Bags...but other than that, pweh, I can't be bothered by my relatively small (minus booze bottles) attempted-recycling footprint...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Taking care of the planet is not a for-profit endeavor, you dolt.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:51 pm

It's a planet...it's been around for 4.7 billion years...me not recycling three bottles of tequila per month probably won't break its back...my role in the environment is not of any great concern for me, I don't even have to drive every day to work (or any day to work), I walk...I think not pumping sludge into the air for the last decade has me well within the green on this one...meanwhile, yous stop and hotbox a mountain twice a day...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm

You could do both. Not drive AND recycle... crazy stuff, I know.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:55 pm

It's a planet...it's been around for 4.7 billion years...me not recycling three bottles of tequila per month probably won't break its back...my role in the environment is not of any great concern for me, I don't even have to drive every day to work (or any day to work), I walk...I think not pumping sludge into the air for the last decade has me well within the green on this one...meanwhile, yous stop and hotbox a mountain twice a day...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:56 pm

No one person's role is that significant in the grand scheme of things. But billions of people not giving a rip for most of the industrial revolution is. Also, to your point about the durability of the planet: The core 'branding' problem environmentalists face is the fact that the issues they advocate for is not the health of the planet, per se..... it's the ability of human beings to inhabit the planet safely and productively. That's the problem that's in need of addressing.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Is mikey... godric?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:06 pm

You could do both. Not drive AND recycle... crazy stuff, I know.
Meh, I'm not sold that recycling water bottles does anything productive for the expenditure...if that comes about, I'd certainly consider it though...

I'm not anti-planet...it just seems childish to separate water bottles from cracker boxes from a banana peel and thinking we're helping much of anything...

If there's something reasonable that states otherwise, I'll listen...it's unclear how profitable it really is, so that suggests that the process probably is very inefficient and thus, likely costing more resources (and expending more pollution on the whole) than it's worth...

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Is mikey... godric?
Nah, not a sociopath...

I've met two board members now, and I think I came off fairly well adjusted to both of them...at least in the realm of normalcy from a social constructs point of view haha

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:10 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Is mikey... godric?
Nah, not a sociopath...

I've met two board members now, and I think I came off fairly well adjusted to both of them...at least in the realm of normalcy from a social constructs point of view haha
That's something godric would say. Investigation still pending

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:58 pm

I am still undecided on those red pants, bruh.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Is mikey... godric?
Nah, not a sociopath...

That's something godric would say. Investigation still pending
Maybe the weirdest post I've ever read across LGP/5AF and people here use their own hair to floss their teeth and eat garbage food

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:27 pm

I am still undecided on those red pants, bruh.
They were mauve/maroon and they're amazing...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Won’t recycle, and wears fancy red pants? You dirty hipster.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Too far man...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:11 pm

If the flannel fits...

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm

people here use their own hair to floss their teeth
You can't argue with results tho

Come play warz...

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Do they recycle everything in your area (glass/plastic/paper)? We have to split our glass/plastic and paper recycling, and I know that it wasn’t until a few months ago that my uncles area in Irwin didn’t have one of the two (I want to say glass/plastic). We recycle basically any cardboard we have, which I’m going to assume isn’t very common.
We take all our glass/plastic/cardboard/bi-metal cans to the recycling center. We do not have to sort it. Recently, curbside pickup became an option for $10 extra. I'm currently considering that option, but it's really not a big deal to drop it off.

I've been saving aluminum cans for a while - 8 full extra large garbage bags so far - for an anthill casting.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 pm

I fully support that anthill casting, and encourage you to take many photos of the process and post them here.