You know what really grinds my gears...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:35 am

My wife is looking for sunglasses online, and some of the ads don't show the sunglasses head on, only at weird angles. How dumb do you have to be to do this?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:39 am

I spend more than I should on sunglasses and my opinion is to figure out what size frames she wants and go from there. Higher end sunglasses manufacturers always have the frame specs in the product details. I usually go to a bass pro shop or cabelas to try frames on

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:42 am

She went to a bunch of stores to look for some that she liked, but she's apparently real picky. Found a pair on Amazon that she thinks will work, and they look good when I photoshop them onto her face.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:08 am

When I last got my normal glasses I got a pair of Nike Frames and got the lenses so they automatically darken into sunglasses when light hits them. My wife calls me an old man, but they work wonderfully and the nike frame both looks casual yet nice enough that I can wear them anywhere.

I still carry a pair of normal sunglasses in my car just in case we go to the beach or somewhere I don't want to lose my normal glasses.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:22 am

My favorite sunglasses are an $18 pair of Champions that I found at Target years ago. Look great, fit great... but are cheap. I have since bought 5 other pairs of them on eBay, as Target no longer sells them. Wish I could find these in a quality brand, but have yet to do so. May take another look this summer.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:55 am

What do you nerds that wear glasses do? Script or flip-up sunglasses or just squint?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:56 am

Am I the only person in the world who pretty steadfastly doesn’t wear sunglasses? I bought some to take on a fishing trip at Emerald Isle a couple years ago. They’re in my backpack and probably all scratched. I never wear them.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:57 am

Script sunglasses from Eyebuydirect or Zenni. Cost anywhere from $50-$85 and I HAMMER them outside. When I'm due an actual pair of glasses through insurance, I often opt for the ray-ban sunglasses for nice events and my daily driver.

Then I just pay $35 for beater glasses on those two sites.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:58 am

My everyday glasses are also transitions so I just wear those most of the time. I also have a pair of heavy-duty sports sunglasses that have transitions in them that I wear kayaking and mountain biking. Unfortunately, they're a little too bulky to fit under my racing helmet.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:59 am

I literally couldn't imagine stepping outside on even a cloudy day without sunglasses. I feel like I wear a hat/sunglasses probably 70%+ of the time spring/summer.

Then sunglasses while driving during the day probably near 100% of the time if there's even a hint of brightness.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:14 am

In college, I wore sunglasses all the time and it got to a point where it felt like it was taking a negative toll on my eyesight...it's hard to describe, but it felt like my eyes wouldn't adjust as well to different light settings. So, I cooled off on them for a while. I occasionally wear them, but given their overall lack of utility for me, my relatively negative history with them, and the fact that I can't go two weeks without a losing pair, they're easy to not have around...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:35 am

This probably goes in another thread, but since we're on the topic, what are some quality sunglasses brands these days?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:39 am

I don't wear glasses (just readers), but my wife has these clip on shades that snap over her glasses. They match the frames/lens size pretty well, so you can't tell they are clip ons. She had prescription sunglasses, but that got expensive as her prescription changes every couple of years.

I am a big proponent of Costa Del Mar sunglasses. They have an insane lifetime warranty, where any defect is eligible for a complete replacement. The coating bubbled up on mine a couple of times - probably because I keep the glasses in my car - and I get a new pair a few days after shipping them back.

I can't drive down here without sunglasses tbh. Maybe in overcast Western PA you don't need them, but I'm miserable without them down here.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:42 am

Costa are my go-tos because of the warranty. It’s stupid easy to file for a repair/replacement too. I have four pairs and only stray from them if I need something specific

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:49 am

I finally got script sunglasses back in August, and I can't think of a good reason why I put it off for so long.

Up until college I had used glasses with magnetic clip ons but I wasn't a fan of how they looked, so I gave up on that idea.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:49 am

This probably goes in another thread, but since we're on the topic, what are some quality sunglasses brands these days?
I really liked my REI Suncloud glasses. I also always get the polar shades

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:50 am

My boomer parents like Maui Jim.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:05 am

Maui Jim makes really nice stuff, just not in the style I want. I found a set of Costas that I like, much cheaper at Dick's than direct. If they offer free returns, I may go that route.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:08 am

I always tell people to check costa first because they have a huge range of styles and options. Plastic or glass lenses. Vinyl, plastic and metal frames. Five or six lens colors. Amazing replacement/repair policy

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:13 am

Am I the only person in the world who pretty steadfastly doesn’t wear sunglasses? I bought some to take on a fishing trip at Emerald Isle a couple years ago. They’re in my backpack and probably all scratched. I never wear them.
I rarely wear them. I don’t like the feeling of something on my face like that. I really don’t comprehend how people wear them while golfing or something as they’re such a nuisance to me. I really only wear mine when driving

and then a few months ago I was talking to my neurologist sister who said that not wearing sunglasses could potentially lead to skin cancer on your eyeball, particularly if you hav blue eyes. ****
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:14 am

Hmm, the style I'd want is in both glass and poly. The glass is probably worth the extra $50 given that these would already be the most expensive sunglasses I ever bought.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:28 pm

Person reaches out to me on LinkedIn. Sends me a message. Doesn't ask if they want to hire me, or help me hire people since I'm a manager. Just says "hey how are you?"

Instant ignore.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:42 pm

I wear Oakley Holobrooks out and about. Buy used frames off eBay for like $50, and get Revant Optics lenses for $25/pair.

Thanks to a happy birthday wish here, I picked up a pair of Tifosis that broadly look like Holobrooks but they're reserved for pool shenanigans. (They were only $25 frames and all)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Hmm, the style I'd want is in both glass and poly. The glass is probably worth the extra $50 given that these would already be the most expensive sunglasses I ever bought.
Unless you lose them, they might be the only pair you ever buy again. Seriously. The pair I have I bought in 2011. They are brand new from six months ago.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:45 pm

I bought a pair of Costa Del Mar Zane's. Hope they live up to the hype. Otherwise, DG and meow are getting a visit.