You know what really grinds my gears...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Also, for the Mccandless North Hills Folk, who's still dealing with power outages? We lost power last night at 11:30, they're now saying 4PM today we should have power.

Mine was on when I woke up this morning.

However, I must be on a different portion of the grid than your area, if I recall correctly.
DLC is not reporting an outage in that area at all. Interesting.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 pm

@dodint - it's Penn Power there, I believe.

Update from Chief DiSanti:

Town of McCandless Police Department
25 mins ·
**Outage Update**

As indicated by Penn Power, there has been a revised time frame for the restoration of power. The new time is reported as 4:00 pm.

As with anything, it would be prudent to expect the work to extend beyond this. Hopefully this won't be the case.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Also - I heard the outage was from Sloop Rd. up to Swan Acres.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Yea we live up off of sloop. So freaking annoying.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm

the size of bottle that windshield wiper fluid is sold compared to the size of windshield wiper fluid reservoirs. why are these not universal? virtually every bottle of fluid i see is the same size. doesnt seem like rocket surgery to make the reservoir the same size
They are equal size on my Wrangler.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:01 pm

I hit a massive one on Lowries Run Rd the other day. Was shocked that I didn't get a flat.
Do you use Waze? I was flagging that pothole as an on-road hazard. They patched the biggest one, but there are still some smaller potholes in the same area.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm

When I went to Japan, I got a iirc 2 XL tee that said Tokyo in kanji. Got back to the hotel, and I couldn't even pull it down over my shoulders.

A few months prior, my boss visited the Japan office and checked into his room: The bed was so small his feet dangled off the end of the bed. He had to request a gaijin room, which I didn't know was even a thing.
If you get back to Tokyo, head over to Lion-Do (http://www.liondo.co.jp/), which is a clothing shop in Ryōgoku, Sumida Ward. Ryōgoku is the neighborhood where the sumo stadium and most of the sumo training stables are located, and it's basically where all the sumo wrestlers shop. I guarantee you will find clothes to fit you, because they carry sizes up this:

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 pm

I hit a massive one on Lowries Run Rd the other day. Was shocked that I didn't get a flat.
Do you use Waze? I was flagging that pothole as an on-road hazard. They patched the biggest one, but there are still some smaller potholes in the same area.
No, I've never checked that app out. That's a nice feature, though - I'll have to check it out. :thumb:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 pm

My dad hit a pothole on 51. Two flats on the passenger side (this is like the 5th time he's hit a pothole and gotten a flat in his car... weak tires). We called AAA at 3:30. By 4:30, we called an Uber for myself, my brother, and my grandma to take us back to her house while my parents waited for AAA to pick up the car.

Fast forward to 5:30, still nothing from AAA about the flatbed that was supposed to pick up the car and take it to the Pep Boys just down the road. Pep Boys closes at 6. Apparently dad called for the 3rd time and hung up on them, because they gave him a non-answer about moving the car.

Last I heard they called Mercedes roadside assistance, who come to confirm that nothing can be done (obviously, only one spare/donut), then call their own tow truck. Still haven't heard from them since.

What's the point of AAA if it takes them over two hours to get a truck somewhere?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:45 pm

That completely sucks. I've only had to use my AAA like two or three times, but I've never had any wait time issues.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Update: AAA showed up about half an hour ago but would not take their car to the dealer in Wexford.

I just got a call on the home phone (yes, my parents still have a landline) from the other tow truck driver, almost 30 seconds after my parents told me they were told by the agency that he'd be there by 8, that he wasn't going to get there for another half hour.

**** AAA.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 pm

If you use the AAA app you can see on a map where your tow truck is.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 pm

I haven’t needed a tow in 8 years; AAA - in general - is a bad investment. They wouldn’t exist, if it were a good one.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Over my decades of having AAA I have called for me, or for "me", probably a dozen times. Never had to wait more than an hour. Had cars towed at least 20 miles twice. My wallet is upstairs and I am not sure if I have Gold or Premier. Regular only covers like 5 miles of towing (then you pay) and mine covers 100 or 200 miles. I upped it since I am 250 miles from home often.

The drivers tend not to care how far they are towing as the get paid by AAA or the car owner either way. If the driver said no to going to Wexford it is simply because the driver himself did not want to go to Wexford for some reason, not AAA.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:38 pm

I am Premier, used all my tows last year except the 200 mile one. It saves me a boatload and enables my somewhat eclectic fleet of vehicles.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:45 pm

My m-in-law gets us AAA every year for our anniversary

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 am

If you use the AAA app you can see on a map where your tow truck is.

The issue was that AAA took 3 hours to get there, then told my parents that he wasn't going to drive them to Wexford.

They said they ended up getting home around 10. Guy from Mercedes-sourced towing company drove them back.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:08 am

Bummer.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:20 am

I've had good experiences with AAA myself. The one time I had to use it in Canada (CAA), it was abysmal. Took them 3 hours to pick up my car, and had to get two separate tows in order to get the car where I wanted it.

They are also good in getting decent vacation packages. Twice they beat out all online competitors on trips I've taken.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 am

One of the last times I used AAA was back in 1995, while I was still in college. I had this old Jeep Cherokee that was always broken. Always. I was going home from college for the weekend, and I broke down on the side of the interstate. This was before cell phones were owned by most everyone, so I had to walk to the closest exit - about 2 miles.

So here I am, pushing 300 pounds, shaved head, goatee, knocking on the door of a little old lady's house along I-26 in Jalapa, SC. She wouldn't let me in, so I had to slide the AAA card under the door. The tow truck driver says that his company gets 5-6 AAA calls from her alone, so she was well-versed in calling AAA for someone else. He thought she should've put a pay phone in to make money off of us. :lol:

It took the guy an hour to get there, and we had whatever plan that allowed towing up to 100 miles. By my odometer, I had driven 86 miles to that point, but I used some backroads. The tow truck driver wanted no part of backroads, so I remember sweating it out whether I would make it back under 100 miles or not. I had no money and didn't want to hit my parents up (because they didn't have money at the time). We rolled up to the garage at 98 miles. :lol:

The Cherokee had a bunch of blown valves. They patched it up best they could, but after the semester I drove the normally 3.5 hours home from Clemson at a top speed of 50 MPH on 4.5 cylinders. It took about 6 hours, iirc. :lol: Good times.
Last edited by DigitalGypsy66 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:45 am

I've never had a good experience with AAA. My insurance includes towing coverage (up to either $75 or $100, I think), and I've only had to use that once so far.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am

Yeah, my insurance or manufacturer has had towing. Plus, <knocks on wood> we've owned Hondas that rarely breakdown.

But AAA makes sense for people with older (or numerous) cars.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am

I view it the other way around. Per six months my towing from USAA insurance is $30/car, and I carry it on two cars. So it's $120 a year. The top level of AAA is $126 and includes more benefits than my insurance plan. The reason I originally got it was because Penske gives a 15% discount on moving truck and I was moving from WI to PA, so on a $1200 rental the AAA was basically free for the first year.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 am

We pay half as much for towing on our cars, so it's definitely worth going the insurance route for us.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 am

We get four free tows a year with our Amex. I think other high reward cards throw this type of perk in as well.