You know what really grinds my gears...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:07 am

I’ve only flew with my kids a couple of times, and don’t remember them crying and screaming much. However, trust me when I saw this: the parents are more angry and upset than you are. I know I would be.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:26 am

I’ve only flew with my kids a couple of times, and don’t remember them crying and screaming much. However, trust me when I saw this: the parents are more angry and upset than you are. I know I would be.
Most of the time. I do everything I can to keep my daughter happy and occupied. Outside of a 30 minute span where her ears really hurt and she was crying (not loudly), she has been great. I’ve been on flights with parents whose kids just didn’t enjoy it and they let everyone know, but the parents just looked spent after trying their hardest to keep them calm. I feel for them, and don’t blame them at all. I’ve also seen parents who just plug in to their phones and ignore the kids. Those people are scum.

That said, I’ve had many, many more issues with grown ass adults on flights. And it’s not even close.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:49 am

If I hadn't had to just deal with a crying kid from the hotel to the airport in the shuttle I would have been less cranky. Plus leaving Hawaii...knowing I had a 7ish hour flight to Dallas then another 2+ hours from Dallas back home to Pittsburgh. I'm just not a huge fan of flying so it just aggravated the situation.

The kid went quiet after about an hour and stayed that way until the last hour of the flight. The other 6 or so small children on the flight were good. It could have been worse. I had headphones to drown them out but I really just wanted to sleep a bit and it wasn't happening with that in the background even after taking a Benadryl. My wife can sleep anywhere and through everything...I envy her greatly.

I don't hate kids ....I really don't, but I do admit they annoy me sometimes...though grown adults do as well :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:52 am

Did you use noise cancelling headphones while trying to sleep? I'm legitimately curious to know how well they work in that situation.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:03 am

Did you use noise cancelling headphones while trying to sleep? I'm legitimately curious to know how well they work in that situation.
Nah. I had some cheap earbuds that I used to plug into the in flight entertainment. I was hoping just having background noise that wasn't a crying child along with the Benadryl would work but sadly it did not.

It seems though that I just can't sleep sitting up in any situation. Not on a plane, not on a long bus ride etc.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 am

Source of the post It seems though that I just can't sleep sitting up in any situation. Not on a plane, not on a long bus ride etc.
We're in the same boat there. Not once have I ever slept on any return trip from Maui, and wind up being awake for 30+ hours. Flying back on Saturdays (landing on Sunday morning) does help, because I get the rest of the weekend to get my **** together.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:14 am

Source of the post It seems though that I just can't sleep sitting up in any situation. Not on a plane, not on a long bus ride etc.
We're in the same boat there. Not once have I ever slept on any return trip from Maui, and wind up being awake for 30+ hours. Flying back on Saturdays (landing on Sunday morning) does help, because I get the rest of the weekend to get my **** together.
Yeah we left Hawaii Friday afternoon at 5pm. We landed in Dallas at like 530am Saturday. Landed in Pittsburgh at 11am or so. I was up from Friday morning at 8am or so in Hawaii and didn't go to sleep till last night(Saturday) around 9pm here in Pittsburgh. It's 11am Sunday now and I'm just now getting up. I took tomorrow off from work to let myself adjust back.

Again though my wife...can sleep anywhere in any position with no problems. I envy her so much. She slept a few hours on the longer flight from Hawaii to Dallas at least.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:23 am

I used noise cancelling ear buds to sleep on the way back from LA in April. seemed to work pretty good.
I used noise cancelling headphones on the way to Italy 4 years ago but I also dropped an Ambien so that doesn't really count..... :lol:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:23 am

Japan Air Lines is adding a feature to its booking site where seats occupied by children will be marked on the map:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/japan- ... our-flight

Of course, it won't be foolproof. The person with the kid might buy their tickets after you, and seat reservations often move around the cabin.

Personally, I think I'd be more interesting in knowing whether anyone near me has a "support animal" than a child.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:48 pm

One of our friends' sons is a residence hall supervisor at the University of SC. He has two people on his hall with "emotional support animals" which either bark all night or **** all over the hall before the owners can get them outside. It's a tremendous hassle and irritates nearly everyone except the owners, of course. Evidently, the form you fill out is basic and requires no medical documentation.

I don't have an issue with specially trained dogs for the visually impaired, or the dog that could detect seizures in one of our students a few years ago (the dog got a diploma when she and her owner graduated!), but this emotional support animal nonsense is ridiculous.
Last edited by DigitalGypsy66 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:53 pm

I wonder if it comes from hospitals where the dogs actually do very well with patients. My wife has seen it perk people up quite a few times. Maybe they saw that and decided to extend it to everyday life.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:08 pm

They are also extremely effective for people who suffer PTSD.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:18 pm

do people that clip their fingernails in an office environment realize that everyone around them can hear it?

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:20 pm

do people that clip their fingernails in an office environment realize that everyone around them can hear it?
do people that hear it realize that we don't care?

Ted

Postby Ted » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:20 pm

Well, their action confirms they are retarded. So they probably don’t care if others can hear it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:10 pm

We discussed this not long ago...and this is bottom of the barrel...microwaving fish...just heinous behavior...

People that do this should be turning a wheel in the center of the earth for all of eternity...

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 pm

do people that hear it realize that we are slobs
Yes

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:40 pm

Ahem. I clip my fingernails in my own private office.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm

do people that hear it realize that we are slobs
Yes
:lol: Still don't care.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Ahem. I clip my fingernails in my own private office.
I have fingernail scissors and a file. F that noisy clipper.

And I too maintain my edges in my private office.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:06 pm

I have teeth.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 pm

Now that's truly heinous...

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 pm

:lol: You’re all doing it wrong.
If I can't find my nail clippers I will bite my toe nails. (I'm going to regret this one.)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:47 pm

Not once have I asked my Alexa to define a word and she actually defined the word that I asked. She ALWAYS mishears

the most first world of first world problems, but still

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 am

I have teeth.
Good grief, I am terrible for this. I presently have - 1, 2, 3....... - 6 fingers with parts of nails gnawed to the quick.