Willie Kool

You know what really grinds my gears...

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:50 am

Jury duty.

Ain'tNobodyGotTimeForThat.youtube

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:45 am

"But it's your civic duty" blah blah blah.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:59 pm

I have wanted jury duty for 20+ years. I got a summons once, and was told to report to the pool, but that was pre-car and the bus I was on broke down (close to ten years without a car in LA, that was the only time I was on an MTA vehicle that had a mechanical failure), and I couldn't make the time deadline. So they told me to just call the next morning... I did, and they told me they had all the jurors from that batch they needed, so I was released. That was in like 2001 or something, have never received a summons since.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 am

for about 4 years I was getting called every. single. year. the last time it happened I finally complained and they said, "ohhhhhhh!!!! see, we got your formal name off the voters list and your shortened name off the driver's license list and we thought it was 2 different people so that's why you've been called every year. since you served last year you don't have to serve again for awhile."
really? you couldn't figure out that was the same damn person at the same damn address????

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Groups of 4+ people who walk down the sidewalk side-by-side. I’m finding the centermost guy and walking straight through.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:33 pm

That's my every day. Some sidewalks are two-wide (one in each direction), some are three-wide (one in each direction and then a passing lane), etc. if you're not abiding (proper people number and walking on the right side), you're catching a tough shoulder...

I absolutely Scott Stevens'd someone a couple years ago...it felt better than it should have...

Learn the rules, or pay the price.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:33 pm

Along those same lines, families that walk side by side down the aisles in the grocery store.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm

I was impressed when I was in Milan this summer... every single escalator to and from the subway had people in two groups:

1. People that didn't walk while on the escalator and they all stayed to the right.
2. People that did take steps up/down the escalator and they all stayed to the left.

I saw one group not follow this simple rule, and people started yelling at them. It was in Italian, so I didn't understand it, but it was glorious.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm

You work probably 4-5 blocks from me, mikey, so we may be hitting up the same group. Teamwork makes the dream work.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Along those same lines, families that walk side by side down the aisles in the grocery store.
This is competing with the people who leave their cart in front of something and walk down the aisle looking at something else.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:42 pm

I do that all the time, mainly because there is a **** of people just standing around in every aisle every time. I try to park it in front of something nobody wants, like fat free mayonnaise, and I almost always know exactly what I'm going down the aisle to get (no other reason to penetrate the hoard without purpose).

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:43 pm

I’ll be more specific - the entire aisle is empty and they leave it in front of stuff like baking items. I get it if you have to do that when it’s crowded.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:49 pm

If I have to do that, I always try to leave my cart in front of something unpopular. That way it's unlikely that anyone will come along who wants to buy it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:58 pm

And the people that will stop and turn their carts around quickly without looking or even worse, the ones that stop and then just start backing up without looking... c'mon man.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:05 pm

I’m glad that my daughter is too big for those kid carts, the ones with massive plastic cars or trucks on the front. I felt so bad being in the way with those damn things.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 pm

I’m glad that my daughter is too big for those kid carts, the ones with massive plastic cars or trucks on the front. I felt so bad being in the way with those damn things.
My kid throws a fit and kicks me in the normal carts... the car cart? She's an angel. Those things are great, even if they're bulky. I think she just likes facing forward and seeing where she's going.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Elderly couples are notoriously bad in grocery stores. Have to browse every item, inspect every item, taking up the entire aisle. I'm pretty sure old people are just trolling everybody, because I may end up doing the same to all the young whippersnappers when I'm an old coot.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:08 pm

There’s a large self-checkout area at my local grocery store. I’d be open to them limiting it to 15 items or less if you’re not using the scanner during your trip. The last few weeks, we’ve seen people with absolutely filled carts in self checkout. I don’t know why these people want to deal with that aggravation (having a clerk reset the area so they can put filled bags back in their cart and start filling a new bag).

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm

I very rarely find myself checking out at a grocery store without some form of alcohol, so the self-check lanes are not available to me.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:23 pm

There’s a large self-checkout area at my local grocery store. I’d be open to them limiting it to 15 items or less if you’re not using the scanner during your trip. The last few weeks, we’ve seen people with absolutely filled carts in self checkout. I don’t know why these people want to deal with that aggravation (having a clerk reset the area so they can put filled bags back in their cart and start filling a new bag).
Good God, I saw a woman doing this at Giant Eagle last week. Ridiculous.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:44 pm

I use the self-checkouts for all trips, even when I have a lot of groceries. But the local stores where I shop have two types of checkout—the small "express" ones with just a couple bag holders to put your stuff, and full-size lanes that are basically the same size and length as a staffed checkout lane. I don't see any reason to not take a full cart of groceries into the self-checkout lanes that are designed to process a full cart of groceries.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:45 pm

I would need to have a single item and be in some kind of a hurry for me to use these self-checkout things...I simply do not work at a grocery store or a CVS. I don't know when I got offered the position, but I decline...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:02 pm

I very rarely find myself checking out at a grocery store without some form of alcohol, so the self-check lanes are not available to me.
Oklahoma allows you to check out alcohol in self checkout. The person monitoring the lanes just comes over and verified your ID, then on you go.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:18 am

I use the self-checkouts for all trips, even when I have a lot of groceries. But the local stores where I shop have two types of checkout—the small "express" ones with just a couple bag holders to put your stuff, and full-size lanes that are basically the same size and length as a staffed checkout lane. I don't see any reason to not take a full cart of groceries into the self-checkout lanes that are designed to process a full cart of groceries.
Are you referring to the Giant Eagle style self-checkout lanes that have full belts and all?

Here's what ours look like:

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:24 am

I have no hesitation in moving someone's unattended grocery cart if it is in the way of something I need.