You know what really grinds my gears...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:12 pm

I've interviewed with about 5 or 6 HR people. It's been more or less 50/50 in my experience.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Females definitely are the majority in HR....no doubt. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some regrets about getting into this field, because of that "glass ceiling" phenomenon. I know it sounds disingenuous to hear a white man talking about that, but that seems to be the reality, at least at my current firm.

I've never liked the VP of HR (the one that is enforcing this "no males" thing). At any rate, the email that was sent to me, while not explicitly saying "no males", has a list of the rejected candidates so far. 19 women, no men, which clearly corroborates what I said. I'm in a good spot (for the time being), and I enjoy my job and the people I work with, so I'm not going anywhere for now. But you bet your ass I'm keeping that email in my back pocket if things ever go south.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Wow, I just did the mental rundown. I've worked at six companies in 19 years; I can't recall the whole HR dept at one of them, but at the other five it was definitely 100% ladies. And four of those companies were large international organizations (EMI, Universal Music [which was owned by Seagram's when I worked there], 20th Century Fox, and Konami).

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:24 pm

I should also mention being in science, it's typically male dominated, so 50/50 is actually on the female dominated side. :lol:

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:27 pm

I've never liked the VP of HR (the one that is enforcing this "no males" thing). At any rate, the email that was sent to me, while not explicitly saying "no males", has a list of the rejected candidates so far. 19 women, no men, which clearly corroborates what I said. I'm in a good spot (for the time being), and I enjoy my job and the people I work with, so I'm not going anywhere for now. But you bet your ass I'm keeping that email in my back pocket if things ever go south.
I'd be so tempted to try to run a sting and go all whistleblower on them.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:38 pm

I work with HR reps for recruiting and their staff is 100% women...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 pm

I work with HR reps for recruiting and their staff is 100% women...
Yeah...as much as I love working in the human resources field (I even got my certification), I'm starting to think I'll need a career change if I'm ever going to get any further. It's tremendously disheartening, but it's hard to even want to apply to other companies for manager-level HR positions if I know deep down that they are likely looking to hire females, even if it's (obviously) not explicitly stated.

Blah...this sucks.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:05 pm

You just need to be more effeminate. Carry a man-purse, maybe start asking other guys to go to the bathroom with you, that kind of thing.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:06 pm

You just need to be more effeminate. Carry a man-purse, maybe start asking other guys to go to the bathroom with you, that kind of thing.
:lol:

It is a bit funny that all of the HR managers, the only male is a gay man in San Francisco. He's fantastic, and is easily the biggest advocate for our team, so he's definitely my go-to person at that level.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:29 am

Dare to be brave shadwick...

I wouldn't worry about career change, if you are good at your job, you'll get the cheese somewhere...though it may not be at your current company necessarily...

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:13 am

I wouldn't worry about career change, if you are good at your job, you'll get the cheese somewhere...though it may not be at your current company necessarily...
Easier said that done... especially with a kid like Shad.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:42 am

Why does every song lyric search site look like angelfire hosts it?
This post deserved better. Read it again, turkeys.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:17 am

I knew it was going to get swallowed up amongst shad's racist/sexist hr talk when I posted it. I should be able to look up lyrics to Bon Jovi's Raise Your Hands without feeling like it is 1998.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:21 am

Source of the post I should be able to look up lyrics to Bon Jovi's Raise Your Hands without feeling like it is 1998.
No, you really shouldn't.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:21 am

Why does every song lyric search site look like angelfire hosts it?
This post deserved better. Read it again, turkeys.
Just read the liner notes. :pop:

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:34 am

Easier said that done... especially with a kid like Shad.
Bosh I say...if he wants it and he's good, he'll get his due...companies aren't in the business of spiting themselves on arbitrary means like that...the market will push the best candidate forward more often than not in prime conditions...

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:43 am

Both what? I don't understand what you're trying to say. Practically speaking, for a guy like shad, who correct me if I'm wrong here, just recently went through a lot of headache to get said job as things were going to sh*t at his last job, has a mortgage, has a kid, has a wife, has a dog, that he needs to (in some way, shape or form) provide for, it's easier to say fight the power than to actually do it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:46 am

For some reason, Windows 10 chooses to only display some cover art for .mp4 files, and not all of them. Even weirder is that I just copied a file from one folder to another, and now that file's cover art no longer appears. WTF, mate?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:51 am

Both what? I don't understand what you're trying to say. Practically speaking, for a guy like shad, who correct me if I'm wrong here, just recently went through a lot of headache to get said job as things were going to sh*t at his last job, has a mortgage, has a kid, has a wife, has a dog, that he needs to (in some way, shape or form) provide for, it's easier to say fight the power than to actually do it.
Bosh, not "both"...and no doubt, but it doesn't take as much fight when you're good...that's what I'm saying, if he's good, that's the anti-gravity switch to move up the ladder...if you're so-so or worse and you're just trying to be a hero or "brave", then you're an idiot...

I wasn't discriminated against in my company, but they did tell me just get on my way as there is not any spots for you to move up to...don't stay here.

A few months later, I effectively just carved out a niche and made my own new department...and then eventually they pushed out the guy that was with the company for almost two decades and put me in charge of our biggest, most needy department...

Again, not discriminatory, but the odds were not strong certainly...but if you're three parts good, one part lucky, you can, cough, overcome, most things in my experience...shad seems competitive, if he wants it, he'll get it...some place...

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:54 am

Now I'm curious... what does bosh mean? Is that like "pish posh"? I've never heard that word used other than in a person's last name. :lol:

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:56 am

Now I'm curious... what does bosh mean? Is that like "pish posh"? I've never heard that word used other than in a person's last name. :lol:
This is a person that describes people/things with the word "diesel" just move along.

pop

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:27 am

:lol:

Also, "bosh" is a word I'm pretty sure...now I'm doubting it...but I thought it was a "dismissive interjection" for lack of a better term...pish posh is a good synonym for the word that I think is a word but possibly made up...

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:35 am

bosh
bäSH/Submit
noun informal
something regarded as absurd; nonsense.
"I think it's a load of bosh"

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:36 am

Huh... TIL.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:38 am

Oh thank God...it is actually something...