You know what really grinds my gears...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:44 pm

My band director was pretty rad. I say 'my' band director, but I was never actually a member of any of the high school ensembles. Nearly all of my friends were in one ensemble or another, and I'd hang out with them during study halls and lunch and whatnot. So even though I wasn't in a band, I'd be in the band room and rehearsal spaces sometimes 2-3 periods a day all through high school.

He actually talked me into sitting in with the jazz band one night when the regular guitarist was out sick. He gave me the sheet music at like 1 in the afternoon, I spent some time dorking around with it at school, practiced for an hour or so at home, then came back for the concert that same night a few hours later without ever actually rehearsing with the band. Admittedly, there were I think two numbers where I just dialed ye volume knob (heh) down to zero and pantomimed playing along cos I couldn't keep up with the sight reading. But overall I did pretty okay.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:40 pm

I love Vans 'Bedford' sneakers, and I own I think 4 pair in various colors/materials; I am, in fact, wearing one such pair right now.

Vans no longer makes 'Bedford' sneakers.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:42 pm

TIL that Vans was still in business.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:49 pm

tif wears Vans?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:15 pm

Weird Al Yankovic has been wearing Vans for decades and has a huge collection. tif is in good company.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:29 pm

In addition to the Bedfords I have three pair of Sk8s, two high, one low.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:41 pm

Ah yes. Weird Al yankovic. Fashion icon. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:28 am

Winter soccer starts in two weeks, and we all signed up a month or so ago. Games were to be on Saturday afternoons. Check the schedule today, and every single game is now between 6-7:30pm each Saturday. I'm not happy about it, and at least one girl is going to have to drop out now because she can't do nights because of conflicting basketball.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:50 pm

Leaving the movie theater, I notice a piece of plastic trim hanging down from the front end of my car. Get the car home and take a closer look, and the monkeys asses at the shop I use for my inspections apparently tried to drill out a rivet holding a small piece of trim on. I can only assume that they thought it would give them better access to the oil filter, as I had them change the oil, too. Well, it doesn't. Instead of fixing that because, you know, that'd be the right thing to do, they just left it there flapping away. I ended up securing it with a spare bolt that bit into the plastic.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:34 pm

Had that happen to me when I had a radiator replaced. Idiot mechanic thought it would be easier to just cut away a plastic deflector below the radiator rather than remove it. Just left it like that for all rocks and debris to puncture a new hole in the radiator. When I told the mechanic he needed to replace it, he said his guys didn’t do that. Bud, why would I or anybody else do it? You’re the only one to replace the OEM radiator.

Ended up zip tying some plastic in place as a temporary stopgap. It’s been there for 6 months now

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:15 am

That's just lazy, which makes it even worse. It's almost comical how these guys take shortcuts only to have them spend more time addressing the issue. On my car, you don't need to do anything to get at the oil filter. There's plenty of room from below. But if you did anything, it would be to remove the passenger wheel. That's literally it.

In my case, this is my fault for using them for their convenience, as they're a few blocks from my house. It's the same shop that over-tightens every lug nut they've ever seen, which is why I switched to a different shop for everything other than inspections - because this shop is licensed for emission exempt stickers. I'll just find another one that is and wash my hands of these guys.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:18 am

Which actually reminds me, my shop just moved locations and now it's going to be a dodint to get in and out of (across a 4 lane road where I cannot make a left into it, so I'd have to drive past it and make a U-turn). So I may just look for a new shop for all work, again.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:22 pm

I paid off two off my student loans the other day. Or at least, I thought it did. I logged back in to setup new auto payments for the remaining loan and there is 0.21 and 0.40 cents on each loan I had paid off. I know for sure I had put the right amount in to pay it off. So what? It gained that interest in the time it took to post?some trick to prevent the loan from closing for some reason?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:24 pm

Correct. Just like an auto loan, you need to ask for a payoff amount and it will have a valid to date

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:24 pm

I know in my loans there’s an additional button for paying off the loans. Apparently the balances you see are just approximations.

That said, I’d bet if you payed the 61 cents the other way, you’d never see a refund.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:26 pm

Correct. Just like an auto loan, you need to ask for a payoff amount and it will have a valid to date
My loans transferred to a new lender. I paid off loans previously with the last lender and didn't have this issue. I was so excited to have two more loans gone then this extra step is annoying :face:

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:44 pm

Irrational Pet Peeve:

people that say "are you ok?" when it is unnecessary.

i was watching the pacific this morning and a guy is climbing up a hill in the jungle and slips a little and the guy behind him blurts out are you ok? it's a rude thing to say. it draws attention to the mistake and emphasizes it. it always angers me when people say it. and it's moronic. if he wasn't ok he'd be screaming OR you wait and see if he can't get up or something. this was a split second slip and he was already moving again before the "nice guy" asked.

it's similar to an old woman screaming bloody murder if someone drops something loud or breaks glass. if i break something i sigh and immediately think about the cost and time i just lost. i don't think "ahhhhhh!!!!"

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:46 pm

I can see that. I watch fail videos from time to time and often wonder "why is that bystander screaming about that thing that is already over and never affected them." I assume it's just their way of inserting themselves into the moment and trying to be relevant. These are the same people that over embellish a sneeze.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:16 pm

Irrational Pet Peeve:

people that say "are you ok?" when it is unnecessary.

i was watching the pacific this morning and a guy is climbing up a hill in the jungle and slips a little and the guy behind him blurts out are you ok? it's a rude thing to say. it draws attention to the mistake and emphasizes it. it always angers me when people say it. and it's moronic. if he wasn't ok he'd be screaming OR you wait and see if he can't get up or something. this was a split second slip and he was already moving again before the "nice guy" asked.

it's similar to an old woman screaming bloody murder if someone drops something loud or breaks glass. if i break something i sigh and immediately think about the cost and time i just lost. i don't think "ahhhhhh!!!!"
my SO absolutely hates it when she slips or hits something and I go, "careful!" as if she was trying to fall or drop whatever it was. :lol:

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:32 pm

yes it's great to do to harass your SO lol.

and yes dodint. But I apologize for my insane sneezing but if i don't sneeze like that nerve pain shoots down my arms disabling me for at least 10 seconds and my hands go numb. I've never been someone that held back a sneeze but a normal sneeze now kills me.

Even in middle school a normal sneeze sent me to the nurse once. My one shoulder hurt bad so I put my backpack over just one shoulder which i didn't do ever but some cool kids had started doing it. the nurse complained to me that maybe my shoulder wouldn't be hurt if i carried my backpack like it was intended. still annoys me.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:37 pm

what in the benjamin button

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:00 pm

You think that's bad, you should see him.......nevermind.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:01 am

Nerve pain is new one for me, but I know from inconvenient sneezing. A few times a month I get seemingly unprovoked sneeze fits. Out of nowhere I'll have like 8-10+ full-body sneezes in perhaps a 25-second span. Been that way for as long as I can remember.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:00 pm

if someone is at the tennis court playing tennis I would be ok. But people playing pickleball aka little dodint tennis on the courts for over 2 hours is annoying

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:14 pm

Were you waiting to play tennis or do you just not like pickleball?