Browns at Steelers- GDT - Wild Card Weekend

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 am

Did we blame juju’s dancing yet? If not I’m not interested in this thread.
Just for you

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brow ... -steelers/

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:00 am

Count me in for one last ride with Ben. This was his first year with 3 of his top 4 targets. Let's see what happens next year and that's the end either way.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 am

What is the replacement plan for Ben? It's not Rudolph so who is it?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 am

kyle trask

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 am

Keeping Ben around is living through nostalgia at this point. His arm is done, and the money makes no sense to do so. The Steelers need to make the right business decision and move on.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:08 am

Keeping Ben around is living through nostalgia at this point. His arm is done, and the money makes no sense to do so. The Steelers need to make the right business decision and move on.
if this was a favre/aaron rodgers situation I would agree. We don't have a Rodgers, we have a Rudolph. 2021 Ben is better than Mason. Now if there was some opportunity to land a Watson or Wentz then I'm into it.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:12 am

Ben wasn’t capable of putting together a full game for the last 2 months:

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:13 am

if this was a favre/aaron rodgers situation I would agree. We don't have a Rodgers, we have a Rudolph. 2021 Ben is better than Mason. Now if there was some opportunity to land a Watson or Wentz then I'm into it.
Going say 6-10 or 5-11 with Rudolph next year cause the Defense is still so good, is better than going say 10-6 with Ben and getting bounced in round 1 IMO.

They had lots bounce right for them early on in the season to go 11-0, the schedule next year is much tougher...I think you take your lumps with whoever next year, and then draft for the future (if you don't draft someone this year).

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:16 am

I feel like Ben makes this decision for us and retires.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:20 am

initially i agreed about keeping ben. i have been thinking but really there is no value to asking ben to come back next year

is mason the future?

no? one year of mason will at least position them to bring in a better prospect in the subsequent draft and offer some cap for other assets

maybe? why continue to wonder 'is he good'? and lets find out. if you bring ben back, you delay this decision a year and waste another year of the pass catching assets that this team has.

yes? time to figure out what you have and start building the team around him

can't straddle past, present, and future any longer.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 am

I think Mason is not good and am on board with drafting Trask this year and having him sit behind Ben for a year. If Ben falters then it's his team. I really just hate the idea of purposely throwing a year with this defense, especially with Bush back

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 am

Really interesting offseason ahead of the stillers. There are going to be several spots open on the offensive line. Juju may be out. Dupree may be out. Conner may be out. Ben is a question mark. Team is going to be a jumbled mess next year.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:29 am

I don't think you are really throwing a year. Ben isn't QB'ing this team to a SB even with the defense fully healthy. That isn't counting any pieces they lose in FA this year.

The SB window is closed right now. Ben isn't it, and they don't have an immediate successor. You hope you find the future sooner than later before the defense all becomes to expensive.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:30 am

and if trask is wanting to learn from ben, see if he will stay on the pay roll as a consultant or a coach

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:38 am

That was one of the things that surprised me last night was how ineffective the defense was against that hodgepodge OL. Was it scheme or what?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:45 am

Why draft Trask when Kenneth Shane Pickett will be ready to seamlessly transition to a pro career in 2022?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:46 am

That was one of the things that surprised me last night was how ineffective the defense was against that hodgepodge OL. Was it scheme or what?
Well there were some hodgepodge LBs playing as well. But the front 7 definitely didn't produce. Browns did well getting rid of the ball quickly

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:47 am

What's all this Trask talk? If he's that good, he won't be available at 20 or wherever the Steelers draft.

Steelers have a pretty bad rep of drafting QBs. Other than Ben and Bradshaw, who were both top of the draft, who is there?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:48 am

What's all this Trask talk? If he's that good, he won't be available at 20 or wherever the Steelers draft.

Steelers have a pretty bad rep of drafting QBs. Other than Ben and Bradshaw, who were both top of the draft, who is there?
He's projected end of 1st round and I personally like him. That's pretty much it

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 am

How dare you slight Walter Andrew Brister III

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:14 am

Pretty brutal end to a hall of fame career, but at least it was better than Dan Marino’s.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 150jax.htm
I knew the score was insanely high, but I forgot that Marino got pulled halfway through the game after going 11-25 for 95 yards. When Marino left the game, it was 34-7 with Jax scoring on the next possession before Brock Huard came in.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 am

I tend to think the other way, he's got something like 40 million reasons to not retire.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:18 am

Well there were some hodgepodge LBs playing as well. But the front 7 definitely didn't produce. Browns did well getting rid of the ball quickly
At some point someone really needs to hold Tomlin accountable for the defense in big games like this. It's not Butler calling these plays, it's Tomlin, and he got outcoached in embarrassing fashion last night.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:18 am

I tend to think the other way, he's got something like 40 million reasons to not retire.
When you already have eleventy billion dollars, does that matter?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:19 am

When you already have eleventy billion dollars, does that matter?
You don’t get to eleventy billion dollars without wanting $40MM more anytime it’s offered.